Eugene, OR

Posted August 25, 2013
Our child attends the Lower School at Oak Hill and we are pleased with the academic experience. We absolutely love the peaceful environment and feel it allows our child to be a child while encouraging and nurturing inquiry and learning. We've found the specialists and teachers to be engaged, creative advocates for our child's education. Oak Hill provides a solid, foundational education combined with robust programs in PE, language, art and music. The school's proficiency in providing a well-rounded education allows our family to avoid the endless treadmill of tutoring and supplementation that we believe saps the joy out of learning. Feeling confident that our school day can effectively end at 3:00p.m. (if we so choose) translates into valuable family time. We were warned that behaviorally challenged children attend this school and have found that rumor to be completely false. Now is definitely the time to explore Oak Hill as the school is experiencing unprecedented growth - 180 students this year. Parents have an amazing opportunity to partner with school leadership and faculty to see our children reach their full, extraordinary potential.

Posted August 15, 2013
I enjoyed this school the staff is very caring. I feel this very good school where kids learn to respect all the nationalities and color. Staff is very caring and pushes the kids who are really gifted. Principal is also trying hard to implement good programs. This is often neglected school because of hype created by Findley elementary.

Posted April 30, 2013
I can't think of a safer, more wholesome environment for my son. The teachers are happy, inspired, and creative. The 72 acre grounds are majestic. This is a school that offers the best college preparatory education outside of Portland. Foreign language begins in kindergarten with French, Spanish and Mandarin - not to mention sign language! They begin public speaking class in kindergarten and have art class where they create wonderful projects that complement what they are learning in class (clay endangered species) or where they are developmentally (little tooth fairies). They have PE everyday and LCC caters their hot lunch with food that is as organic and local as possible. I cannot sing the praises of Oak Hill more - I love this school! They do have a wonderful scholarship and financial aid program which is fed by annual fundraising programs which allows the school to attract the towns "best and brightest." The upper school children are a great reflection of the magic that happens at Oak Hill, they are confident, kind, intelligent and look you directly in the eye when you speak to them. Be careful, once you set foot on campus, you won't have eyes for anywhere else.

Posted September 17, 2012
Phenomenal school that surrounds your children with other students that attend this school for the purpose of a higher education. Each day, students are challenged at their abilities; classes are taught to each student s level, not as a group. Some students will skip ahead one or two grades in certain subjects and remain in their grade/classroom for other subjects. If you want the best education possible for your child, this is it!

Posted November 30, 2010
Our kids are so fortunate to attend such a wonderful school. They are excited to attend and constantly challenged. When asked what their favorite part of the school day...EVERYTHING! Fabulous and dedicated teachers. Amazing specialists who keep the kids yearning for more in PE, Art, Music, Public Speaking (we all could have used this!), Mandarin, French and Spanish. Friendship, respect for each other and the Earth and doing your best are all the norm. A community of lovely families. A safe and nurturing environment where our kids can be kids.

Posted November 30, 2010
We knew after the very first day we transfered our daughter to Oak Hill that we had made the right choice. The smaller class size and direct attention from an experienced teacher made a huge difference in her confidence and learning pace right from the start. Within a week she was coming home singing mandarin songs and working on polishing her script handwriting. She has excelled in every subject but her favorite is the daily P.E. This year our son entered kindergarten at Oak Hill. The first day I picked him up singing "I love school!". Since then he has closely bonded with his classmates and learned an astonishing amount in both academically and socially. We are thrilled that he is getting such a wonderful full day Kindergarten experience right here in Eugene. I see that another parent mentioned the one weak spot as being the antiquated computer lab (I had concerns about that too when we visited) -- but as of this month all of the computer lab machines will be replaced with brand new Macs running the latest versions of MS Windows and MS Office! We feel very lucky to be part of the Oak Hill community.

Posted August 11, 2010
My kids get a better education at Oak Hill than they would in the public school. Because class sizes are small, teachers can spend more time with students. In addition, my kids get Mandarin, French, Spanish, music , art, PE EVERY DAY, and public speaking. On the negative side,the computer lab is antiquated and I feel that I am being hit up for money all the time (in addition to the expensive tuition). But my KIDS' experiences are fabulous. And that is what it is all about!

Posted June 28, 2010
I am a student here who just graduated from 5th grade. This school's teachers are so nice and the work is at your pace. This is the only school that I know of that has a Mandarin program. Ms.Sophie is our Mandarin teacher who taught me so much and helped me catch up since this was my first year. Thank you teachers for all you have done to make this such a great place. See you next fall!

Posted June 10, 2010
I have a soon to be 4th grade daughter and a 8th grade son. Both are growing academically strong. The teachers are very competent in their subject. My daughter has fun learning Mandarin. My son enjoys Math. My husband lost his job and we could not pay our tuition. The principal called my home and found ways for us to keep the children at their school. He cares a lot about children's education. My children do not want to leave this school. They love it.

Posted June 10, 2010
Our family has been part of Oak Hill's growth into a wonderful school for six years now. As a parent, I am always impressed with the enery and dedication of our teachers, and of course, with the broad range of skills my children benefit from. Our Spanish program is the best, and the Mandarin is so incredible, I feel fortunate that my child will be at ease in that language quite soon. Our music and theatre program are so much fun for my kids. And we have a terrific PE teacher, plus art and an integrated computer program. It is the most comprehensive, full educational experience in Eugene and a lot of bang for your buck. I read the previous review, and fully disagree. The school is growing and building an endowment that will, eventually, help more families financially. Every private school in this country runs a funding drive every year.

Oak Hill School