Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Develops character: Neutral

They may help students in this area but they do not work well with some parents to ensure the influences in a child's life come from the same team. We should all be on the same team working together to ensure individual student success! Communication and perhaps being understaffed seems to be a reoccuring problem/issue.

I think it's possible this school is under staffed thus there is a lack of patients and communication among particular staff with regards to our children. I believe as a parent it is my responibility to avocate for my child, and was shunned when trying to do so. We are new to this area in the last few years and although my 2 older children are now in Jr.high and 1 in high school, I have never had one of my children be so difficult to take to Elementry school. Infact my other children simply love school! My youngest sadly can't wait for weekend's and dreads Mondays. Its concerning to me as a parent when I try to address issues mostly concerning where my child is seated by a disruptive student and or issues with bullies and they are not addressed by certain teachers or any office staff. With this being said there are certain staff/teachers that are absolutely wonderful! But as a whole system in my opinion they are failing some students and it's simply unexceptible.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

It really depends on the teacher. It would be unfair to group them in one category. I will say some are wonderful.

We went to some great schools in other states--my child has never come home with a behavior report but did from Holt. She got off a line while walking at the end of recess--ridiculous. They have had a hard time keeping my daughter challenged & interested in school. We asked the social worker for some assistance with some adjustment issues our daughter was having at the school, but it took 5 months, even after multiple contacts, for her to followup

Our daughter was very nervous about starting school but that went away quickly after her first day! The teacher she got has been amazing and the principle is always willing to talk about whatever and is very friendly. She is very involved as well. Can't wait for our daughter go here for 5 more years!

My family and I moved here from Tucson, Az 4 years ago. We went from having our children in a school in which they behaved like little robots, so that they could pass tests, to Holt, where each student is valued for their uniqueness. Our kids attended this school when Kebin Boling was principal, as well as when Joyce Johnson took over. We couldn't be happier with the school. Leadership works as a team with teachers and as a team, they hold kids accountable - but without the requirement of being a little robots. We love that our kids have been able to grow into community leaders through their experiences at this school.

We moved here 2 yrs ago from Washington State. When my kids first started at Holt , 2 and 4th grades, initially I was concerned because my kids were farther ahead than their classmates. I had multiple meetings with Joyce, the principle, and with their teachers and we were able to come up with a plan that met my children's needs. They were tested for advanced placement and their teachers did a great job at keeping them challenged. I would say that moving to a new area where you don't know anyone to ask what area schools to recommend it challenging but I highly recommend Bertha Holt Elementary. Their Parent Teacher relationship is wonderful and most important is that my kids love being there.

Unfortunately my family didn't have a good experience at this school. We are new to the area and had high hopes for the educational experience of our child. The new principal, Joyce, was not good about communicating with our family and we ultimately withdrew our child after several mishandled events. There definitely needs to be some work on keeping parents well-informed and more involved to eliminate situations getting out of control. We were not given the opportunity to have any input on helping our child become adjusted to a new school environment. There needs to be a realization that the students are real people who have futures, so how situations are handled is of the utmost importance to parents.

We are new to the area and I must say I am so impressed with this school i can't believe how amazing it is!!!!! The new principal Joyce is wonderful and very involved on a daily basis. She attended the parent/teacher meetings and visited each classroom so the parents could meet her. The parent/teacher meetings were held for parents only and they were able to sit in the class and learn about what the agenda is like for the students. The communication is very open and it is always easy to reach someone and you always hear back usually on the same day. Safety is a huge priority for me and as I was visiting other schools here in Eugene, I noticed that is also a top priority for Holt. I would highly recommend this school.

I couldn't have hand picked a better school. The teachers genuinely care about the kids. The PTA program is amazing, our kids have so many benefits from it. There is always something new for the kids to be doing. You will always see the principal in the halls or out with the kids. Best school my family has dealt with hands down!

Last modified Holt Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.