Eugene, OR

Roosevelt Middle School 2

Posted October 27, 2014
This school has been great for my child. Since starting at this school this year my child has been talking to me again and overall his old self, from before he went to middle school. Last year at another middle school in the Bailey Hill area, he was very quiet and never wanted to talk about school. Some days he would brake down and scream and cry how he hates a few kids that were making life rough for him. This was very out of character for him. With all that said this school has made it extremely tough on my family and I this year. My wife and I are going through a seperation after 18 years of marriage. I moved out and rented a home in the Roosevelt area. I had no idea that this was so desirable. My child has chosen to stay with me most of the time. Its nothing personal against his mother we just do more together. When moving I asked him if he wanted to stay at that other school or go try Roosevelt. He jumped at it. Since then, my family has been put through absolute scrutiny. We have been called liars and cheaters by the adminstration. I was told they will asign a PI to verify where I live. I welcome all this but cant it be done without my kid being affected by it?

Roosevelt Middle School 1

Posted September 04, 2014
My child is just starting here, and so far I am disappointed with the classes she is enrolled in. The administrators will tell you up front they have a "social justice" curriculum. The sad thing is that the large majority of parents have no idea there is such a thing or what it means. It is the legacy of deconstruction and post modernism (now discredited and passe every where else (see Sokol Affair). It is certainly left of center and little more than indoctrinating the kids into the staff's subtle social and political agenda. Just look at the curriculum guide. "Hear Our Voices" "Legacy of Power". Those, of course, are language arts classes. The staff and teachers unstated goal is to turn these kids into future activists and crusaders for social change. The sad thing is that kids leave here with little knowledge of the world around them (aside from abuses perpetrated by dominant cultures) and how it came to be. They will, however, be perfect tools for future despots who will rule over a sadly manipulable populace. The sad thing is that these teachers don't trust the kids to come to eventual enlightened views themselves. A 4J teacher gets tenure after 3 years...now that is power!

Roosevelt Middle School 4

Posted July 27, 2014
I'm going into tenth grade once the summer's over, but I went to RMS all three years. I loved it. The teachers were great (for the most part) and the sense of community is great. Or at least I think so. I've heard stories from other kids about their middle schools being not so great, but I don't know for sure, not having ever gone to a different middle school. We don't have a very clique-y atmosphere, which I like, having lots of different interests. My one complaint would be about the administrative staff, who were rather unhelpful. Some were friendly, some were pretty unwelcoming. Overall though, I loved my experience at Roosevelt and if given the choice and a time machine, I would not go to Spencer Butte, Kennedy, or any other middle school in Eugene. Do keep in mind, though, that staffing changes happen often, even in the one year since I went there, so be prepared for this review to be somewhat inaccurate. a student from South Eugene High School, into which most RMS students go.

Posted August 27, 2011
I LOVE ROOSEVELT so much i am goiung for my second and i just simply love it there we have alot of choices if anyone does notknow where to send there kid PICK ROOSEVELT GO RMS ROUGHRIDERS

Posted October 05, 2009
RMS is all about choice! students get to design their program from a variety of classes . . . Especially from the performing arts! all students are assigned a house where a teacher meets their individual needs and advocates for each one.

Posted October 04, 2009
Roosevelt's staff team is so well respected and supported by the community, students and administration that the educators themselves get to deliver the best they can to their students - it shows!

Posted October 31, 2008
I love my school. Its amazing. Any parent that is concered about which school to send their child to, should pick RMS

Posted May 17, 2008
This is my son's first year at RMS, and he loves it. It was a huge change coming from a tiny elementary school to a very large middle school, but he transitioned very well. He has been able to branch out and make many new friends as well as with kids with different ethnicities which he couldn't have found at any other school in the area. The staff are all supreme quality. I hope RMS continues to carry on the way it is for many years to come so my younger son will be able to benefit from this school too.

Posted May 23, 2007
A remarkable school. RMS does not have bullies. Does not have after-school fights. Does have a variety of interesting classes including architecture, a variety of literature and social studies classes, etc. The teachers and principle care a lot -- perhaps 1/4 of the teachers actually went there themselves as kids! The only possible complaint I could have is that, despite a laudable emphasis on teaching kids to use planners etc., kids that still are having a hard time getting organized enough to deal with middle school may struggle in some classes. If your kid's already on the ball, this is the best school on the planet.

Posted March 29, 2007
Roosevelt is wonderful. There is a strong level of parent involvement, with many volunteering opportunities and several parent visiting nights and P/T conferences. All students have the ability to choose their classes, while still keeping the requirements of basic classes such as math, science, social studies and language arts. There are a large amount of electives to choose from as well as several different music classes, such as band, orchestra, choir and the spring musical. Roosevelt does have a large theatrical curriculum, although not required. Shakespeare classes are extremely popular. They aren't only putting on a production, but also learning about Shakespeare and the Elizabethan era. Roosevelt has very qualified, intelligent teachers teaching math, science the other required classes. Most of them have taught at Roosevelt since before their students were born. Some teachers have had their children go to Roosevelt and know what it's like to be Roosevelt parents.

Roosevelt Middle School
680 East 24th Ave, Eugene, OR  97405
Last modified Roosevelt Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Roosevelt Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top