Bad
Good

W.L. Henry is a fabulous place to learn. My kids love the school and all that it offers. My oldest son participates in multiple gratuitous after school activities, including chess, bilingual drama club, band, soccer, math enrichment and ballet folklorico. My youngest enjoys zumba and ballet folklorico. There are other after school activities such as reading, cooking, art and lego robotics. There school day is filled with wonderful learning in English and Spanish and it is apparent that the teachers truly care about my kids and all students. I love how my kids are learning in a way that supports them in becoming multilingual and multicultural citizens.

I have been very happy with this school. My children are learning two languages at the same time both spoken and academic. The teachers are great and teach the student in new and fun ways. I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

I chose to put my two daughters into this school for the dual language program. My 8 year old hasn't been able to grasp the language as well as my 6 year old. But they both have great accents. My 6 year old loves singing Spanish songs. The teachers have been excellent. My 8 year old's teacher started to teach multiplication specifically to keep up with my daughter's abilities. My 6 year old was put into reading groups that best fit her skills. They were involved in the after school chess club. The entire school gets free breakfast and lunch because of the high level of low income families. It is nice to not worry about sending lunches. I have received phone calls from the principal when there are behavioral issues (a boy was slapping my 8 year's butt in line during recess, another boy threatened her with a sharp stick when she tried to get him to stop poking a baby bird with it). It seems like recess might not be as supervised as I would like because that seems to be when issues happen. Pick up time after school is pretty crowded since it is a walking school. My kids seem pretty happy there. If behavioral issues get worse in coming years, we may consider switching schools.

I sent 2 kids here for 5 years, to allow my children to be in the dual language immersion program. I'm very pleased that my children have been able to learn a second language in childhood, they sound like native spanish speakers. This school definitely has some struggles, but it's not due to teachers not trying! There are some absolutely fantastic teachers here, and they accommodated my children's abilities and tried to find ways to challenge them. I really appreciated their positive behavior reward system, which encouraged appropriate behavior with certain rewards. However, as the kids got older, the behavior issues got more and more pronounced, to the point where it was extremely distracting and took a lot of the teachers' time. My eldest child just finished 6th grade here, but my younger child won't be returning. Also, there's not a lot of support from home, and very little parent involvement in the classroom and school. There's been a lot of principal turn over lately. In a nutshell, I'd say that if you're interested in your child learning a language, this is a good option for the younger elementary years, but I'd suggest going elsewhere after around 4th grade.

WL Henry is on the less desirable side of town and has to deal appropriately with troubled kids. I have thought several times about homeschooling or transfering, but there is a balance. My son has had extremely good teachers since kinder and has gotten citizenship awards for standing up for what's right, and lots of positive reinforcement. His mental abilities and grades are not determined by those who struggle, or the averaging of school scores. The teachers teach what they are given to teach. A lot of the grade depends on the determination of the child.

Last modified W L Henry Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.