Hillsboro, OR

W L Henry Elementary School 5

Posted July 26, 2014
I have been very happy with this school. My children are learning two languages at the same time both spoken and academic. The teachers are great and teach the student in new and fun ways. I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

W L Henry Elementary School 3

Posted July 09, 2013
I chose to put my two daughters into this school for the dual language program. My 8 year old hasn't been able to grasp the language as well as my 6 year old. But they both have great accents. My 6 year old loves singing Spanish songs. The teachers have been excellent. My 8 year old's teacher started to teach multiplication specifically to keep up with my daughter's abilities. My 6 year old was put into reading groups that best fit her skills. They were involved in the after school chess club. The entire school gets free breakfast and lunch because of the high level of low income families. It is nice to not worry about sending lunches. I have received phone calls from the principal when there are behavioral issues (a boy was slapping my 8 year's butt in line during recess, another boy threatened her with a sharp stick when she tried to get him to stop poking a baby bird with it). It seems like recess might not be as supervised as I would like because that seems to be when issues happen. Pick up time after school is pretty crowded since it is a walking school. My kids seem pretty happy there. If behavioral issues get worse in coming years, we may consider switching schools.

W L Henry Elementary School 3

Posted June 26, 2011
I sent 2 kids here for 5 years, to allow my children to be in the dual language immersion program. I'm very pleased that my children have been able to learn a second language in childhood, they sound like native spanish speakers. This school definitely has some struggles, but it's not due to teachers not trying! There are some absolutely fantastic teachers here, and they accommodated my children's abilities and tried to find ways to challenge them. I really appreciated their positive behavior reward system, which encouraged appropriate behavior with certain rewards. However, as the kids got older, the behavior issues got more and more pronounced, to the point where it was extremely distracting and took a lot of the teachers' time. My eldest child just finished 6th grade here, but my younger child won't be returning. Also, there's not a lot of support from home, and very little parent involvement in the classroom and school. There's been a lot of principal turn over lately. In a nutshell, I'd say that if you're interested in your child learning a language, this is a good option for the younger elementary years, but I'd suggest going elsewhere after around 4th grade.

W L Henry Elementary School 1

Posted November 08, 2009

W L Henry Elementary School 4

Posted October 12, 2009
WL Henry is on the less desirable side of town and has to deal appropriately with troubled kids. I have thought several times about homeschooling or transfering, but there is a balance. My son has had extremely good teachers since kinder and has gotten citizenship awards for standing up for what's right, and lots of positive reinforcement. His mental abilities and grades are not determined by those who struggle, or the averaging of school scores. The teachers teach what they are given to teach. A lot of the grade depends on the determination of the child.

W L Henry Elementary School 4

Posted August 16, 2005
I have found the diversity within the school to be refreshing. My child is in the Dual-Language Program and I am grateful for her to have the opportunity to learn another language at such an impressionable age. This school could use much more volunteer time that what it currently sees.

W L Henry Elementary School 1

Posted July 18, 2004
This School caters to one paticular culture and the outcome of that has caused a level of education to be way, way below the average quality of teaching and learning for the average American student of any other school in the area. Because of this I have personaly choosen to Homeschool my children to give them the 'Best'. And also because this school won't release students to attend other schools in the area, for the reason, they have to meet Their Quota of American Students that attend this school, so it causes us parents to be forced into other options. We have been in this district for 11 years and the school has incressingly gotten worse!

W L Henry Elementary School
1060 SE 24th Ave, Hillsboro, OR  97123
Last modified W L Henry Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
W L Henry Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top