K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Our Lady Of The Lake School 1

Posted July 30, 2015
We are Catholic, from a Catholic school. This school is not friendly to outsiders, and their curriculum is outdated by 5 years. The students are just as rude as their parents. Jesus teaches us to love each other, this school does not teach his message.

Our Lady Of The Lake School 3

Posted March 21, 2014
Our Lady of the Lake does an amazing job with elementary school children. I do agree that it can be a bit too overhanded with the system of detentions. You would think that in this age they would find another system besides detention based system for young children. But overall the 2-5 teaching staff is wonderful. I don't have any experience with K-1. My biggest concern is 6,7,8 curriculum. The Science curriculum is not appropriate for middle school and accounts for over 50% of the homework and test taking. This impacts the rest of the curriculum because there is no time for Language Arts and Math. Its hard to understand how a middle school has become so science driven. It feels more like a science tech middle school then your average middle school and the kids are driven to anxiety because of the science tests . The curriculum needs to be really evaluated for the middle school. The teachers that are not open to change or feedback are really difficult to work with .

Our Lady Of The Lake School 1

Posted July 27, 2013
I went here from k-12 th grade. Some aspects of the school did prepare me to succeed at the university level. However, looking back now I am extremely dissapointed by the outright lying and brainwashing that went on at this school. Being 5 years old without any critical thinking skills yet and having a moral/political perspective ingrained in your head is NOT ok. I realize it is a religious based school looking at the world through a small, fear base prism. The public schools in lake Oswego could have given me a much more honest, well rounded education. After the level of open/honest education we were able to receive at college, most of my former oll classmates feel this way as well.

Posted November 11, 2011
I have a child at OLL school. I really battled between private Catholic education (as I experienced although my husband is not Catholic) and the fact that I purposely moved to a "good" school district. I did a lot of research and questioned everyone I could from both public and private. I found that people who had graduated from OLL and moved to both public and private were extremely happy with the transition. Most who I spoke to said their children were extremely well prepared and most placed in advanced classes. I was scared away by kids having "issues" on the public school bus and the lack of oversight and discipline in public schools. Also impactful were the budget cuts to both phys ed and art programs. Now that we are here we would not change our decision. I appreciate the lack of classroom distraction(thank you discipline!), that my child feels safe and happy at school, that the children get plenty of exercise (both body and brain), that the children are taught morals, values and respect (along with math, reading, science, social studies, music, art, etc!) This education is a financial sacrifice for our family, but to provide a strong foundation we are willing!

Posted July 04, 2011
We've had three children attend and are very pleased witl OLL. Our oldest ended up going to the public high school and has been able to go right into all of the adv placement courses and seems to be well ahead of classmates from LOJ.

Our Lady Of The Lake School 2

Posted March 20, 2011
We've had our three children attend OLL and finally chose to take our last child out. Sending her to the local public school was the best decision we've made. It was a huge wake up call to find out that the teachers & curriculum in the public schools were equivalent or better. I agree with others who say that by middle school, OLL is weak. The teachers are beyond tenured, they're above any criticism whatsoever. If you have an issue with the school, it falls on deaf ears (Principal and Vice). There's entirely too much favoritism. There is little opportunity for a very bright child; ours were simply not challenged after sixth grade. The school/parent community and parish community are very different. The hypocracy in the school is noteworthy. While they boast about "faith based education," it's just a catchy phrase. Just because they teach religion doesn't mean they practice it. A few teachers are downright mean. We've been dissappointed that they teach to excel on standardized tests, but care little about teaching & demonstrating character. Instead of inspiring the students to love learning, they stress grades excessively. Your children will be stressed, that must we assure you.

Our Lady Of The Lake School 3

Posted February 23, 2011
I rate OLL as a solid 3 star, which is really dissappointing, given it's private school tuition faith based school. There is nothing stellar or unique about OLL, except they do indeed teach by intimidation and shame. Detentions are every Monday afternoon, and a time-out "bench on shame." There is also the "silent lunch detention" table and everyone knows why the child is there and it is humiliating. Much of the homework is busy work, but a great deal of it is expected to be done by the parents. There are many costumes to be sewn, poster board type projects that are obviously done by parents with professional oversize printers. Of course the teachers realize the homework and most projects fall heavily on the parents, but parents are intimidated also. When you have other children, it's difficult because you don't want to make it more difficult for them. Favoritism runs rampant.

Posted May 12, 2010
If you are looking for a faith-based school, filled with dedicated and devoted teachers and a supportive community, look no further. Our Lady of the Lake School prepares students for a life ... a life filled with faith, knowledge and an appreciate of the community in which he/she lives. Students leave this school as citizens of the world, with an eye towards service and compassion. We are truly blessed to have this fine school in our neighborhood. Of recent days, the school has won many awards for being a top-tiered school in Oregon! Visit the school yourself and see the difference ...

Our Lady Of The Lake School

Posted April 30, 2010
At the elementary level, this school is unequaled. You and your child will be very happy. There are serious issues at the 6h, 7th, and 8th grade level, however. Several of the teachers have become spoiled and complacent. They are unwilling to make an effort to reach out or understand any child that poses a challenge, possesses any individuality, or is not their favored select few. They use intimidation and humiliation as teaching tools. Students become afraid to make mistakes, ask questions, or speak up in the classroom for fear of humiliation and become unwilling to talk to parents for fear of retaliation. These teachers have forgotten the true meaning of being great educators. Spending time working in a different environment may help them to better appreciate the wonderful student body and parent community at OLL. Parent-Teacher communication is poor, the homework load is excessive, and although your child may receive a good education in some areas, it comes at the expense of their happiness and self-confidence.

Posted April 27, 2010
We are so pleased that our children have been able to attend a school that is faith-based and community driven. Both our kids have been given a stellar academic education as well as a safe and caring environment to grow up in. No school is perfect and there are always ways to improve but, overall, we have nothing but positive comments about our experience at OLL. There was one weak teacher who taught my older child for one year but that teacher is now gone. All other teachers have been stellar educators and loving examples of the Catholic faith for our children. They have grown up feeling a connection with their classmates and with the school community at large. The older child was well prepared for high school and the younger (7th grader) is thriving at the junior high level. Opportunities for parents to be involved have been numerous also.

Our Lady Of The Lake School
716 A Avenue, Lake Oswego, OR  97034
Last modified Our Lady Of The Lake School is a Private school that serves grades K-8