No rating

Touchstone School

Private | K-6

We are best known for experiential learning program.

Living in Lake Oswego

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $290,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,030.

Posted July 11, 2014

We love Touchstone School. Both our boys attended Touchstone School, and the second one graduated this year. After seven years, the school and its community became such an integral part of our lives, and we will miss it so very much. Our sons thrived in its small class sizes, excellent and engaged teachers and an amazing parent community The principal and teachers are so accessible and encouraging. They personally meet your child at each drop off and pick up - now where will you find that? The teachers are always glad to make the time to talk with you. The curriculum is challenging, and while some might find the small school size limiting, our sons loved it and have made life long friendships. Our older boy now attends OES, and was amazingly well prepared for the 7th grade academically. The school is nimble and is constantly making changes to its curriculum to keep up with the current programs. The school is also adding to its enrichment classes and partnering with neighboring tennis clubs to offer more activities to its students. I would not hesitate to recommend this school to any parent. We have been so happy with it.

Posted June 12, 2014

Wow! Touchstone...what an incredible experience! My son just completed seven years at this amazing school. It is a place where every student thrives. From the brightest star to the most challenged, each child is treated like an individual while always being reminded there are part of a community. Every component of his education was addressed by smart, patient, dedicated teachers and staff. He started in kindergarten where he learned to raise his hand and listen, then ended with sixth grade where he had the confidence to stand in front of a room full of people and make a speech expressing his gratitude and admiration for the school that gave him those skills. They challenged his mind and built his character. Thank you to Ms Frost, Mrs Harris, Mrs Macy, Mrs A, Mrs Moore and Mr B. What and unbelievable team of intelligent, loving, absolutely committed teachers! I don't know how they do it. And of course, it couldn't happen without the principals Ms Schaeffer and Mrs Platz at the helm. They provided my son with the foundation for success in all of his future endeavors. Thank you, thank you!

Posted September 1, 2013

My daughter attended first through fifth grades (2008-2013) at Touchstone Elementary. We loved the caring environment and small class sizes at Touchstone. It turned out to be well worth our 35-40 minute commute and we were very sad to leave. The classes combine every two grade levels; there are about 16-20 kids per class with two classes in each combined grade. The teachers take the time to know the kids' learning styles and personalities very well. Every time we had a parent-teacher conference, we felt that the teachers really understood her and cared about her. There is very little turnover of the core teaching staff and they are all amazing. They keep order in the classroom as well as getting the kids excited about learning. Touchstone prepares students well for middle school. My daughter will be going into Algebra in 6th grade, and has good organizational and typing skills. We felt like we were part of a family at Touchstone. I wanted my daughter to spend her elementary school days with people who cared about her, in a place where she felt safe and comfortable. She definitely got that with Touchstone. She also got a great education and had a lot of fun.

Posted July 19, 2013

The size of the school is limiting to the social development of kids. Touchstone teaches respect but don't prepare the students for what is coming when the reach junior high. A couple outstanding teachers can't make up for the marginal ones.

Posted June 28, 2013

After 14 years, and three children, we have just graduated our last child from Touchstone. Looking back, we would make the same school choice for our children again. They grew in every way possible and are ready to take on what awaits them in their futures. The staff at Touchstone is extraordinary. Our children were nurtured, inspired, challenged and respected. Kudos to all who work so tirelessly at Touchstone to make it a very special place!

Posted March 21, 2012

I feel fortunate to be able to send my daughter to Touchstone. I think the small groups and projects are what make her days so enjoyable. The staff's attention to her emotional development has really boosted her academic performance. I believe that the elementary school years are crucial to future success. I don't think I could have given her a better foundation. I recommend Touchstone.

Posted March 6, 2012

The teachers are the most compassionate I've met, understanding that boys learn differently from girls at this young age, but balancing both. They've always made allowances for my son to move to the skill level appropriate classes, including moving to higher grade classrooms for certain subjects. It couldn't be more individualized. The children are all respectful and welcoming, regardless of age. We only wish they continued to 8th grade (which most likely prompted bitter reviews in 2009/10 when we tried). We've been with the school for four years and can't wait to return again in the fall.

Posted January 24, 2011

An excellent school with personalized attention for its students. My two sons have received attention to their academic, personal, and social development, and it is wonderful to be part of such a close community. Moreover, I have had a chance to see classmates of my sons develop and grow as well. I have found the principals and teachers to responsive, and the parent community is remarkable in its level of involvement. A prior comment about accepting 'behavior problems'; this was a little peculiar to me. There have been no students I have seen that exhibit sociopathic tendencies or gross outliers of behavior. I suppose in some parents' minds, certain children should not be allowed certain educational opportunities, and should only be allowed homeschooling or be remanded to the state. To make these judgements at this early age seems short-sided and unfortunate.

Posted August 3, 2010

School list enrollment at 109 students K-6. They would be lucky to actually have 80. School is very, very small with declining enrollment. Very limitting socially for the children. Staff reductions in recent years (let all aides go last year, and several teachers over the last couple years) now make it hard to meet children's needs. Principal told children that the school was moving and being expanded. This IS NOT happening. Very inappropriate. Principal and school are a disappointment.

Posted August 3, 2010

While the teachers are kind and know my child very well, the principal tends to smooth over issues without trying to solve them. Her communication is lacking - there were times she told us one thing, and then events played out so that another thing actually happened. Not sure if the principal really has the students' best interest at heart.

Posted July 20, 2010

I am SO happy with my son's educational experience at Touchstone. My son will be entering 2nd grade next year and we LOVE this school! Every morning we are greeted with smiles by the staff that is so friendly! The teachers are fantastic and are able to give students alot of individual attention making sure they succeed in every area. I volunteer every week and am amazed how well the classes are ran... I cannot begin to tell you how good the 1/2 grade teachers are. Students treat one another with respect and are so kind! The spanish teacher is so good and creative with the kids, the arts programs is outstanding, and music is great too! The principal is very involved and cares about the success of ALL students! Highly recommended!

Posted July 5, 2010

I am very pleased with Touchstone school. I always thought I would be the parent to put my child in the public school system, but ended up falling in love with Touchstone. First and foremost, my son loves going to school each and every day. While he has his moments, each faculty members knows him by name and genuinely cares for him and his best interest. Being a single parent isn't easy, and Touchstone has gone out of their way to make sure our needs are being met. My son is gaining a wonderful education. I can't imagine him being anywhere else. As a matter of fact, I wish the school went through Junior High...as we don't want to leave!

Posted June 24, 2010

My daughter's experience at Touchstone was SO positive...her best year yet! She was immediately welcomed into the school by other students, looked forward to going to school each and every day, grew academically and was included in social activites by her peers. The students are friendly and respectful. The teahers surpass standards and truly care about each individual child. I watched my daughter become an independent and responsible young individual because of the support and encouragement she received from her teachers. Touchstone staff is sensitive to bullying prevention and after my daughter's negative experience at another school two years ago I knew Touchstone was the right environment for her. I only wish every child had the same opportunities she had this year! She loved her teachers, the principal, and enjoyed her studies in core subjects, art, music, technology, and ingtegrated studies. My daughter and I highly recommend this truly special school.

Posted June 20, 2010

Touchsotne is only looking for a certain type of student. Any student that does not fit their mold will not thrive here and it is quite possible your child's self esteem could be destroyed. Teachers are rigid. Principal is a fraud. So happy the year is finally over.

Posted June 10, 2010

I am a current parent with 2 very happy well adjusted children attending Touchstone. I love the personal learning plans that allow my children to succeed at their highest level. If you want to hear more about how great Touchstone is ask to talk to a current parent. We came from the public school system and our experience has been outstanding. We are sad to see the year end. We will be back next fall and are eager to see what new experiences are in store for our children.

Posted April 12, 2010

School to family/parent communication and this school works so hard to ensure the success of every child!

Posted April 7, 2010

I would think long and hard before sending your children here. They are now accepting behavior problems to boost enrollment. Principal hides problems to avoid any conflict. Serious problems. Very Poorly run. The only saving grace is a few good teachers.

Posted February 11, 2010

I have a son at Touchstone and, as a result of the progress I have witnessed in his self-esteem and eagerness to learn, I am about to remove my other son from a prestigious private school in PDX to Touchstone. TS teaches reggio style - much in the vein of Catlin Gabel, with half the price-tag, fewer of the resources, a lot less of the attitude. On the upside, because of its small staff and size, this school is flexible and does respond to individual concerns quickly. On the downside, it does not have the resources of Catlin or OES. Nor does it have as actively involved parental community at this time, and there's an upside to that, too. No pressure. At TS the majority of families, in many forms, consist of working professionals. If you value value and a small school with a strong curriculum, LO Touchstone is it.

Posted October 7, 2009

I have 2 kids at Touchstone. The education they are getting is miles above what the LO the public school system provides. Contrary to another post, there IS a fence around the playground, which is well maintained. In recent years there was some discussion of moving the school to another location, so some maintenance had been ignored; however decision recently made to stay put has resulted in addressing some lingering issues (like playground upkeep). Blended classrooms (2 years together with a 2 year cycling curriculum in each blend) together with master themes that cut across multiple subjects make a very thought provoking environment that encourages creative thinking. Decent arts and music program for a school this size.

Posted August 12, 2009

My son spent 1 1/2 years at the preschool and, so far, 3 years at the elementary school. We could not be more pleased and feel that the money has been very well spent. The individual attention and community feel of the school has been invaluable in helping my somewhat shy boy flourish.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 17% 4%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

• Gym

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Ginger Schaffer
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook