Lake Oswego, OR
Before care: Yes

Posted October 02, 2014
Touchstone School has skilled and experienced teachers providing challenges or giving extra support. I sent two children through all of the grades between 2002-20014 and the teachers intuitively knew what each child needed. While the school seemed small at times, my children both thrived and became confident through so many different offerings at the school. They graduated well equipped for learning at their new schools, with an enthusiasm for learning that has served them well.

Posted August 11, 2014
Touchstone is an exemplary school that I could not recommend more highly. Both our sons attended K-5th. Our oldest began as an eager but extremely shy student and left a thriving young man - introverted but with a strong sense of himself and his ability. He transitioned amazingly to our public middle school excelling academically and in extracurriculars. He was even selected to be the Promotion Ceremony class speaker. I give Touchstone a huge amount of credit in nurturing intellectual growth and sense of self, confidence, social and communication skills. His younger brother just finished 5th with flying colors and eagerly awaits going to the same middle school this fall. It's hard to put into a few words what I think makes Touchstone so special. The individualized attention from long-term educators is at the top of the list. They partner with you through challenges and push just the right amount. My boys went several grades ahead in math, for example. But when one needed to move from an advanced to a slower paced reading group this transition was also smooth. Kindness, respect & study skills are taught right along with content. There's PE, art, language, music and more

Posted July 11, 2014
We love Touchstone School. Both our boys attended Touchstone School, and the second one graduated this year. After seven years, the school and its community became such an integral part of our lives, and we will miss it so very much. Our sons thrived in its small class sizes, excellent and engaged teachers and an amazing parent community The principal and teachers are so accessible and encouraging. They personally meet your child at each drop off and pick up - now where will you find that? The teachers are always glad to make the time to talk with you. The curriculum is challenging, and while some might find the small school size limiting, our sons loved it and have made life long friendships. Our older boy now attends OES, and was amazingly well prepared for the 7th grade academically. The school is nimble and is constantly making changes to its curriculum to keep up with the current programs. The school is also adding to its enrichment classes and partnering with neighboring tennis clubs to offer more activities to its students. I would not hesitate to recommend this school to any parent. We have been so happy with it.

Posted June 12, 2014
Wow! Touchstone...what an incredible experience! My son just completed seven years at this amazing school. It is a place where every student thrives. From the brightest star to the most challenged, each child is treated like an individual while always being reminded there are part of a community. Every component of his education was addressed by smart, patient, dedicated teachers and staff. He started in kindergarten where he learned to raise his hand and listen, then ended with sixth grade where he had the confidence to stand in front of a room full of people and make a speech expressing his gratitude and admiration for the school that gave him those skills. They challenged his mind and built his character. Thank you to Ms Frost, Mrs Harris, Mrs Macy, Mrs A, Mrs Moore and Mr B. What and unbelievable team of intelligent, loving, absolutely committed teachers! I don't know how they do it. And of course, it couldn't happen without the principals Ms Schaeffer and Mrs Platz at the helm. They provided my son with the foundation for success in all of his future endeavors. Thank you, thank you!

Posted September 01, 2013
My daughter attended first through fifth grades (2008-2013) at Touchstone Elementary. We loved the caring environment and small class sizes at Touchstone. It turned out to be well worth our 35-40 minute commute and we were very sad to leave. The classes combine every two grade levels; there are about 16-20 kids per class with two classes in each combined grade. The teachers take the time to know the kids' learning styles and personalities very well. Every time we had a parent-teacher conference, we felt that the teachers really understood her and cared about her. There is very little turnover of the core teaching staff and they are all amazing. They keep order in the classroom as well as getting the kids excited about learning. Touchstone prepares students well for middle school. My daughter will be going into Algebra in 6th grade, and has good organizational and typing skills. We felt like we were part of a family at Touchstone. I wanted my daughter to spend her elementary school days with people who cared about her, in a place where she felt safe and comfortable. She definitely got that with Touchstone. She also got a great education and had a lot of fun.

Touchstone School 2

Posted July 19, 2013
The size of the school is limiting to the social development of kids. Touchstone teaches respect but don't prepare the students for what is coming when the reach junior high. A couple outstanding teachers can't make up for the marginal ones.

Posted June 28, 2013
After 14 years, and three children, we have just graduated our last child from Touchstone. Looking back, we would make the same school choice for our children again. They grew in every way possible and are ready to take on what awaits them in their futures. The staff at Touchstone is extraordinary. Our children were nurtured, inspired, challenged and respected. Kudos to all who work so tirelessly at Touchstone to make it a very special place!

Posted March 21, 2012
I feel fortunate to be able to send my daughter to Touchstone. I think the small groups and projects are what make her days so enjoyable. The staff's attention to her emotional development has really boosted her academic performance. I believe that the elementary school years are crucial to future success. I don't think I could have given her a better foundation. I recommend Touchstone.

Posted March 06, 2012
The teachers are the most compassionate I've met, understanding that boys learn differently from girls at this young age, but balancing both. They've always made allowances for my son to move to the skill level appropriate classes, including moving to higher grade classrooms for certain subjects. It couldn't be more individualized. The children are all respectful and welcoming, regardless of age. We only wish they continued to 8th grade (which most likely prompted bitter reviews in 2009/10 when we tried). We've been with the school for four years and can't wait to return again in the fall.

Posted January 24, 2011
An excellent school with personalized attention for its students. My two sons have received attention to their academic, personal, and social development, and it is wonderful to be part of such a close community. Moreover, I have had a chance to see classmates of my sons develop and grow as well. I have found the principals and teachers to responsive, and the parent community is remarkable in its level of involvement. A prior comment about accepting 'behavior problems'; this was a little peculiar to me. There have been no students I have seen that exhibit sociopathic tendencies or gross outliers of behavior. I suppose in some parents' minds, certain children should not be allowed certain educational opportunities, and should only be allowed homeschooling or be remanded to the state. To make these judgements at this early age seems short-sided and unfortunate.

Touchstone School