Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

I feel the teachers arent effective when they are not honest with parents about their childs asthma, homework, or areas that may need improvements. I feel teachers arent effective when they cause self esteem issues in children, and when they encourage unsafe language arts in musical lyrics, and distorted mascots. And especially ineffective when using wine as a fundraiser at an elementary school and advertising it around youmg developing children.and when the principal wont meet with parents about kids getting their medicine at school. All children deserve their needs met. Not just the political powerfuls children.

a second grade teacher at this school gave my child a negative idea about herself and told my second grade child she had to write that negagtive idea about herself which directly impacted my childs self esteem. It took years of counseling for my daughter to gain her confidence back. My daughter has always been advanced in every subject and has always had a positive self image. another teacher who was my childs third and fourth grade teacher lied to me and told me my daughter was not having asthma problems in class. when i picked my daughter up from school my daughter showed evident signs of asthma and my child reported to me that she needed her medicine while in class. The principal at this school who is currently being replaced this year 2016 would not make time to address the asthma medicine privledge i want my child to have at achool and the documents i put on file so my child can have her medicine. This same principal allowed the fifth grade class of 2015 to roll around in chairs downhill in hallways to music with below average english langauge lyrics. The family picnics and family and school get togethers have declined over the last two years since this principal took over in 2014. At the picnics very distastful music that is well below the enlish language lyrics standards , and way below my standards was played. Very strange and distorted mascots were present as well at the picnics. The school who is affiliated with the PTA advertised a wine fundraiser which is politically inappropriate for an elementary school and developing children . The banners were posted and advertised on the schools building where all the children and parents could read. The office staff gave my childs class information out to another parent who has power in the county and whose child also is class of 2016 so his child would know what fifth grade teacher my child was getting but at that same time when i called to get my childs class information i was told they didnt know and i was yelled at, so at that same time we found out who my childs fifth grade teacher was through another parents child. We are so glad my child is moving on to middle school. I pray for the best in our journey ahead in middle school.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Not much homework in fifth grade. Tons of homework in kindergarten, first, second, third, and fourth.

Develops character: Disagree

I feel this school has the opportunity to model these qualities and fail many times to do so. I feel that my child works very hard to prove her merit and she has done that and has been recognized for that by her teachers at times and at the same time a bad example has been modeled by the principal and teachers to the children and my child has remained meritable with morals , values and respectworthy.

Only excellent by comparison, Westridge provides excellent services to the average student. For students who need more challenge than the State-Common-Core-Standard-directed curriculum provides, options are non-existent. The Talented and Gifted program provides little to no actual service other than meeting once per week at lunch. An Individualized learning program is created, but this one page form generalizes to such a degree, that no real challenge is required by classroom teachers. The educational policy for truly gifted studetns seems to pivot on the idea of more of the same work, instead of enrichment work and higher learning. Instead of pushing students to reach higher and achieve their true potential, the faculty encourages mediocrity by focusing time and effort on those who may be left behind, and utilizes the highest end of the spectrum of learners as tutors for those at the lower end. We are deeply disappointed with our experience at Westridge. Parent involvement is high, but much of this is as instructional support, a sad commentary on what the staff is able to achieve in the classroom. This is a true case reputation gaged by the concept of relativity.

I have been at Westridge for 5 years and have found the staff to be exceptional. This is a wonderful school. Parents are are genuine and down to earth. My son as learning difficulties and has been very well serviced. The staff as been amazing and supportive to his needs. The administration has always listen and been fair to any of my concerns. My experience here has been nothing short of exceptional.

When we started at Westridge 10 years ago, Westridge was a good school, but 4 principals and the retirement of reputable teachers has left Westridge lacking. We are pulling our child out this year as a result of an administration that is dismissive of common concerns, and the accelerating level of bullying that seems to be occuring both at the childrens' level as well as the parent level.

This school is a big disappointment. My child attended there for 2 1/2 years. I transferred my child to another school that my first two children attended a decade ago. That school is a better fit and is exceptional. Parent involvement seem to be extreme at this school, tendency is same parents monopolize volunteer time so that other parents cannot volunteer due to the system that is set up. New principal and admin that lack in knowing how to tactfully communicate with parents. Principal and admin do not safisfactorily deal with student/parent needs and concerns. Teachers are good. I would not recommend this school if you are looking for a balance in academics and social learning.

Last modified Westridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.