Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Lewelling Elementary School
Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted December 07, 2015
I don't think the school handles bullying behavior well and there are some issues with racial prejudice or just poor handling as well.

Lewelling Elementary School 3

Posted December 07, 2015
Teachers seem good but class sizes are high. I've had good experiences dealing with the office staff, but the principal is not good about communicating (forgets to reply on multiple occasions, or does not actually answer the question or follow through). Both teachers we have had have been great about email. There have been some examples of poor planning and communication of events, bus schedules, things like that. Many school events seem to involve high crowds, poor organization and lengthy speaking which no one can hear due to poor sound system and high crowds. PTA events are not well communicated and tend to be designed in a way that favors students with money (e.g., students who can donate the most get rewarded while others do not, instead of doing it by class). I observed a class and saw the teacher repeatedly passing over calling on minority students who had raised their hands first and instead calling on white students who had raised their hands later - I am hoping that was for reasons other than prejudice (maybe those students had recently spoken and she was calling on people who hadn't - I don't know). Last year, the school had a blonde woman come in and talk about "Indians" instead of having someone culturally appropriate talk about "Native Americans." These events make me question how well the school handles racism and inclusivity. I have also witnessed a teacher tell a boy that a girl (who I saw hit him) must have had a reason to do it - failing to do anything about the girl's bullying behavior. I guess generally I think the school is about average to others in the area, but I wish it was better. Academically, the work is not as challenging as it could be and I think the high class sizes result in little real help for each student. The staff and teachers have been pretty good about working out individual concerns, however, it has taken repeated effort on my part. Overall I didn't feel it was fair to rate the school bad, but I definitely see room for improvement.

Lewelling Elementary School 1

Posted August 05, 2014
Staff is rude and condescending. The teacher was unable to keep her temper and the class attention. Sad I can't afford to move to anew district.

Lewelling Elementary School 3

Posted September 21, 2010
I think the school is great. I do seem to be having trouble getting my son to adjust to following expectation needed for him to get along with other peers. I'm hoping to have a change in how my son's behavior will be at the end of the school year. Everyone seems to be trying to help the year go well, and I'm glad to have the support with dealing with the difficulties.

Lewelling Elementary School 5

Posted October 15, 2008
I love Lewelling! My older son went there, and my younger son is going now. Unfortunately, with the change in school boundaries, he'll have to switch schools next year. At least many of his current buddies are going with him. We've had great experiences with the teachers and programs at Seth Lewelling.

Lewelling Elementary School
5325 SE Logus Rd, Milwaukie, OR  97222
Last modified Lewelling Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.