Newberg, OR
After care: No

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

At Veritas, we seek to challenge students individually at all levels and teach them how to learn by using the well-proven classical method. Veritas School's mission is to cultivate wisdom, virtue and godliness by providing an excellent, Christ-centered classical education. A Veritas education begins by nurturing a child s natural sense of wonder and developing it into the intellectual curiosity of a graduate who is prepared to engage the world with purpose and confidence. Veritas is committed to providing a classical education where students acquire the tools of learning that will lead them to become lifelong learners. Veritas School acknowledges that all life, knowledge and meaning extend from our Creator. This approach requires that all subjects, whether history, art, music, mathematics or science be taught with God at the core. At Veritas, Jesus isn t just present or prominent - He is preeminent. This reality impacts life in the classroom. I would encourage you to visit Veritas School and see for yourself what makes us so different.
February 05, 2015

Veritas School
Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted June 09, 2015
Some are very very effective where some others lack organization, student respect, and communication skills.

Veritas School 3

Posted June 09, 2015
While we experienced many blessings being at Veritas were very disappointed in the administration. We watched 2 of the most awesome teachers have their contracts not renewed because their kids did not attend Veritas. Both of these teachers were replaced with people with family connections in the school. Both of these new teachers do not meet the excellence the school advertises. The feeling is the school is constantly looking for donations but has no interest in parent input. When I had a concern about my young elementary child I was met with defensiveness from the teacher and the phrase, "well your child does not pay attention". No plan was offered to help. I am the parent not the teacher, I was asking for guidance to help from the professional so we could work as a team to benefit my child. I pay the school to educate my child I was amazed at how much they want you to teach your child. To clarify some of the teachers were amazing and did not require more than the average homework and they taught the children very well. I have NO problem doing helping with homework and listening to them read, and working on projects to support the teachers work in the classroom. I work full time to pay tuition and was disappointed to have a teacher tell me I was not doing enough at home. I was also surprised to find some of the behavior allowed while the children were in line going from one class to another. I was told that they are allowed to talk and visit even when that means they are not paying attention to the teacher. Respecting an adult is an important lesson. They also want to fit your child into a box that tests well. If your child does not then it is suggested they go somewhere else. This helps bring the school test rating up but discarding the less than perfect students seriously limits the growth of the school. Why do they offer hefty tuition credits to existing families to find new students and get them enrolled? Word of mouth is not enough? As I started this rating, our experience is NOT all bad. Some of the teachers we worked with were amazing! The office staff gals are caring, loving and supportive. The headmaster for the elementary is great with the kids and, I believe, truly cares. We love so many of the people here. Overall the curriculum is sound, the music program awesome.

Posted May 08, 2015
To a previous reviewer who asked why Veritas needs a marketing department: because it's a small private school in a small town that will most likely only be known as home of wine country and possibly George Fox; because yes, Veritas does rely on donational and volunteer support for its survival. How is this at all bad? We all thank those who make Veritas possible through their caring donations, volunteering, and other support, for they have thanked God for blessing them with abundance by seeing fit to bless others as well. Well, the afore mentioned reviewer says that the marketing department exists to hide all the bad reviews, to sweep all the bad stuff under the rug. It exists rather to show the world Veritas's virtues in spite of reviewers who simply take joy in lashing out and trying to catch Veritas red-handed, implicating her of many crimes often on evidence which is simply at ends with the experience of the majority at Veritas. The world has already heard enough bad about Veritas from reviewers, so it is the job of the marketers (criticized more) to make sure the truth of the good gets out as well, since no one honestly pays as much attention to good reviews as to bad.

Posted May 07, 2015
I have been going to this school for 9 years and I am now a senior. The school has not only taught us virtue and godliness, but how to be virtuous and godly with flexibility and open mindedness while interacting with everyday issues in the world. We're given a broad and all-encompassing education in order that the individual gifts in each of us may be best expressed. When my family and I first joined the Veritas family, we were immediately welcomed with open arms. Nine years later, not only my class but all the highschool has become my family, and the teachers my caring mentors. Out of all the extracurriculars, our concert choir (currently state champions) has 75% of our whole high school which shows our love for teamwork, expression, and glorifying God through music. Seeing these negative reviews makes me sad because it is not at all consistent with my nine years here at Veritas and I know all my peers would say the same.

Veritas School 2

Posted May 03, 2015
My kids attended Veritas when I taught there. There are good people at the school, but the administration is very difficult. There is ONE way to do things. For a Christian school, the arrogance and lack of grace in the administration is appalling. There is a marked difference in the way that they treat parents with money/connections. The admin. interprets classical in the most uncreative manner possible. Teachers are encouraged to go for a particular "look" over good teaching. Students should sit in rows and work on seat work. Students are all expected to fit in a very narrow "box" and many students will not fit that box. Students are encouraged to behave well outwardly for the public view, but there is not a lot of encouragement to develop real, inward kindness, or self-control. There is a LOT of homework. Worse, the school is masterful at making parents feel as if they have no other options and will damage their students if they leave; that "no one else has a problem with this; and that *any* concerns are "gossip" and not to be tolerated. (IMO, this whole way of delegitimizing parents leaves the school ripe for long-term abuse.)
5 people found this helpful

Posted April 01, 2015
I think it's rather sad that, from what we can tell, the negative reviews are being written by the same couple parents...who still have their children at Veritas. If this school is really that bad for your kids, then please find a place that's right for your family. We've never said that Veritas is perfect - and we've never said it's the best school for every child. Obviously, you feel it's not right for yours. We're sorry if that's the case, but then isn't it your choice to stay or go?
3 people found this helpful

Posted March 12, 2015
The negative reviews here seem very strange to us and not at all consistent with our positive experience at Veritas. I guess some parents had some disappointing experiences here. The elementary faculty is wonderful and they all seem to be sticking around for years at a time.
6 people found this helpful

Veritas School 1

Posted February 27, 2015
Warning the marketing department of Vertias does not want you to read all the reviews here. That is why they keep adding good reviews to the top. These reviews are from basically the same people - the marketing department. You need to ask yourself why such a small school needs a marketing department. Don t be fooled read all the reviews here. If you visit the school make sure you ask about teacher turnover and don t just settle for an it s very low here answer, look at their past yearbooks you will see. Also make sure you read the fine print on Tuition Obligation. If you sign your child up for Veritas for the next year, then you learn during the summer the school board has voted to not let parents vote for school board members anymore, and you decide you no longer want your child at Veritas, you are on the hook for 50% of the year s tuition even before the school year has started. By September 15 you are on the hook for 100% of the year s tuition when you have only been there for 2 weeks. They will go after you for the money, best thing to do is not sign your child up for Veritas.
7 people found this helpful

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted February 05, 2015
2 people found this helpful

Posted December 20, 2014
The comments about the board and Administration that others have posted are highly over exaggerated. Our family has been at Veritas for a long time, and I can honestly say that I have dealt with, or know all of these people well enough to say that they operate in a prayerful manner and always with integrity. They care about the Veritas community as a whole, which makes it more like a family than a school. Our family has been so blessed by this school, by the way it operates and by the topnotch teaching. I would encourage anyone who is interested to take a look for yourself.

Veritas School