Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

This is the third year I have had kids in this school. I am very impressed with the principle and both of my children's teachers are exceptional. The teachers are well trained, have the freedom to implement the latest teaching strategies, and have connected to both of my kids very well. They have strong science, math, and reading programs. My kids love going to school and are thriving. I highly recommend Redland Elementary School.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Even recess is structured at this school, so bully opportunities are limited. There is a strong no tolerance policy. The staff are very friendly and supportive to a child who mentions they are being bullied. I have a child who has in past years had some bullying problems and the staff handled it very well.

Supports LD students: Agree

It is hard to be a parent of a student who is not completely normal. Redland does break kids out into small groups for instruction for individual reading and math levels. My kids have found these small groups to be very helpful.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Great principle who runs a tight ship, but also allows teachers to be creative in addressing student needs.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Most of the teachers are extraordinary good at their jobs. We have had one bad apple though, that really did not connect with my high energy boy. The same teacher would have been awesome for a lower energy kid.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is not required at this school. My son's first grade year it was required and it was horrible! We had no time to have fun together as a family. The principle responded to the parents complaints and changed the policy. My son was rebellion against homework, but now that it is not required he takes home stuff to do on his own accord and loves school.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They did not treat my student fairly. He was singled out and secluded, given no tools to assist with sensory needs.

Principal plays the "I have a niece/nephew" card to try and relate to you as a parent... very difficult to work with. Must know it all! My student transitioned to this school with behavioral needs to be met. This was explained through meetings. The teacher was late to the meetings and left early - completely disregarding my concerns and chalking me up as a typical new parent. They refused to meet those needs until the second week of school, when my student was too disruptive, so they sent in a PCA. It then took them 6-7 MONTHS to notify Special Services to begin testing to construct and IEP and place my student into a program where they weren't dealing with meltdowns and over stimulation because my student was "only getting 5 min of work done a day" spending the rest of the class time secluded in a corner or laying on the floor. Due to a lack of playground supervision, my student ended up in multiple casts during the year as well. Horrible experience. We left that school.

The office staff and teachers are wonderful and helpful. The principal is very difficult to work with. It is very apparent that she does NOT like it if you don't agree with her ideas. There is a total lack of communication as to what is going on in class. The lack of homework is very troublesome. Without any homework it is very difficult to know how your child is doing and what they may be having problems with. Another concern with the lack of homework, is are the Redland children being prepared to move on to middle school or are they being left behind? I believe they are going to be left behind.

I love our school. We have had some changes over the past several years and in my opinion, it has greatly improved our school. We have had great teachers who have made an impact on all of our lives. They have been so wonderful that we still keep in touch. The office staff is friendly, but professional. I know that the safety of my children is their #1 concern. Our children are in great hands. The principal is great and has the children's best interests in mind when making decisions for our school. She has always been available to answer my questions and concerns. I love our school!!

Last modified Redland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.