No rating

Holy Cross Catholic School

Private | K-8

Living in Portland

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $176,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted May 3, 2013

Our kid transfered from PPS SES. She barely made her grade in the transfer, she was so behind. Her first month was hard, but she got great support, and is now thriving. She loves her teacher and going to school at HCC. We see strong growth in all areas: academic, emotional, critical thinking, self-confidence. The school is organized, well structured, with great teachers, and great academic program: PE, science, arts, music, computer science, in addition to the basics. Ironically, she learns more environmental sci than at Sunnyside Environmental. Highly recommend this school.

Posted August 12, 2009

I attended Holy Cross 1st-8th and felt highly prepared for high school. I attended St. Mary's Academy and was placed in advanced classes from the beginning, mainly due to the great education I received from Holy Cross. Holy Cross was especially effective at English education. I applied the grammar that I learned at Holy Cross when I took the GMAT and GRE, and I scored very highly in the verbal sections. This is a long way of saying that Holy Cross provided me with a solid foundation for my education, and I feel lucky to have had the chance to attend.

Posted October 21, 2008

I love this school holy redeemer although more money are very cold, my daughter was no longer teased and mad life long friends and memories here.

Posted June 9, 2007

I love holly cross it is going to set a very good example for my sister and I.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 8, 2007

Both of my children attend Holy Cross, as did my younger brothers. All of the teachers know my children's names and care about them as individuals. When the younger child needed a little extra support in the classroom, the principal and her classroom teacher were totally willing to work with me to develop a plan that worked for that child. The children do wear uniforms, but there is a lot of flexibility within the uniforms. When I compare what my first grader is learning to what our neighbor first grader is learning, there is no comparison. She is already studying double digit addition and subtraction along with spelling, while he is still studying the alphabet and counting. I look forward to working with Holy Cross' staff as my children continue their education.

Posted July 15, 2006

My children both attended Holy Cross for 4 years. Kindergarten kicked off an excellent education. All day Kindergarten is and was what my kids both needed not to mention she is/was a wonderful teacher. The kids wear uniforms, abide by rules, eat homemade lunches and everything at this school is very uniform. Very close knit family.

Posted February 24, 2005

As a former student of Holy Cross...I was what you might say a bad apple. As a successful adult I realized the dedication and determination the teachers made to help achieve goals that I never thought possible for if I would have gone to a public school in the area(which are horrendous), I know for a fact I would have been swept under the rug. The regiment at this school is hard and very old fashioned but they show and teach love and respect to yourself and others. This is probobly one of the only school I have seen that the teachers actually 'care' if you learn and refuse to leave you behind if its developmental or other serious or minor issues. You will definetly get your moneys worth if you want your kin to become repectfull and responsible adults in society. - David Lung
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 16, 2004

I think that the principal is inforcing the rules a little too much. This school has 0 fun. The rules here are just too much. I mean, you have to tie your shoes a special way. That is just too much.
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Portland

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5202 North Bowdoin Street