K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Holy Cross Catholic School 2

Posted July 26, 2016
I had attended this school from kindergarten to eighth grade. I cannot remember what year I was in when we got a new principal, but it was a very rough transition and the new principal was way too strict. I remember that one time we even had an assembly because wearing mismatched socks was causing a "Distraction." In middle school, I didn't learn very much. The teachers were not that focused and the elementary school teachers were much better than the middle school teachers. Not much help was given to students who were having a harder time or to students who were advanced. During the time that I was attending we never had a Spanish teacher last more than two years which meant that we backtracked with every new Spanish teacher and we never learned anything new. I was bullied for quite some time and not much was done about it. Not to mention that out on the playground that kids were constantly swearing and being rude. They would talk very sexually and would often times say slurs. Nothing was done to prevent this and if we told one the teachers, they did nothing no matter how uncomfortable someone was made by it. The school made a big deal about lining up outside to go inside. They would make us stand out in the freezing cold until people would stop talking or moving and then complain about wasting their time when those minutes could have been spent learning. The basketball teams were given new equipment almost every single year, but for the whole time that I was playing volleyball we were never given a new net even though ours was literally falling apart or balls that were stained brown and couldn't hold air. The school loves to boast about their racial diversity when in all honesty, there is none. A majority of the students are white and the students of color like me have always been left out. The priest one time called me out during church and he used to call out other kids and tell them to go to church on the weekends. I understand that this is a Catholic school, but nobody should have religion forced upon them. The only reason I stayed at the school was because I was forced to. I definitely would have gone to another school if it were my choice and I wish that I did have a choice. If you ever listen to your child complain about this school, please listen to them.

Posted May 03, 2013
Our kid transfered from PPS SES. She barely made her grade in the transfer, she was so behind. Her first month was hard, but she got great support, and is now thriving. She loves her teacher and going to school at HCC. We see strong growth in all areas: academic, emotional, critical thinking, self-confidence. The school is organized, well structured, with great teachers, and great academic program: PE, science, arts, music, computer science, in addition to the basics. Ironically, she learns more environmental sci than at Sunnyside Environmental. Highly recommend this school.

Posted August 12, 2009
I attended Holy Cross 1st-8th and felt highly prepared for high school. I attended St. Mary's Academy and was placed in advanced classes from the beginning, mainly due to the great education I received from Holy Cross. Holy Cross was especially effective at English education. I applied the grammar that I learned at Holy Cross when I took the GMAT and GRE, and I scored very highly in the verbal sections. This is a long way of saying that Holy Cross provided me with a solid foundation for my education, and I feel lucky to have had the chance to attend.

Posted October 21, 2008
I love this school holy redeemer although more money are very cold, my daughter was no longer teased and mad life long friends and memories here.

Posted June 09, 2007
I love holly cross it is going to set a very good example for my sister and I.

Holy Cross Catholic School 4

Posted January 08, 2007
Both of my children attend Holy Cross, as did my younger brothers. All of the teachers know my children's names and care about them as individuals. When the younger child needed a little extra support in the classroom, the principal and her classroom teacher were totally willing to work with me to develop a plan that worked for that child. The children do wear uniforms, but there is a lot of flexibility within the uniforms. When I compare what my first grader is learning to what our neighbor first grader is learning, there is no comparison. She is already studying double digit addition and subtraction along with spelling, while he is still studying the alphabet and counting. I look forward to working with Holy Cross' staff as my children continue their education.

Posted July 15, 2006
My children both attended Holy Cross for 4 years. Kindergarten kicked off an excellent education. All day Kindergarten is and was what my kids both needed not to mention she is/was a wonderful teacher. The kids wear uniforms, abide by rules, eat homemade lunches and everything at this school is very uniform. Very close knit family.

Holy Cross Catholic School 4

Posted February 24, 2005
As a former student of Holy Cross...I was what you might say a bad apple. As a successful adult I realized the dedication and determination the teachers made to help achieve goals that I never thought possible for if I would have gone to a public school in the area(which are horrendous), I know for a fact I would have been swept under the rug. The regiment at this school is hard and very old fashioned but they show and teach love and respect to yourself and others. This is probobly one of the only school I have seen that the teachers actually 'care' if you learn and refuse to leave you behind if its developmental or other serious or minor issues. You will definetly get your moneys worth if you want your kin to become repectfull and responsible adults in society. - David Lung

Holy Cross Catholic School 2

Posted April 16, 2004
I think that the principal is inforcing the rules a little too much. This school has 0 fun. The rules here are just too much. I mean, you have to tie your shoes a special way. That is just too much.

5202 North Bowdoin Street, Portland, OR  97203
Last modified Holy Cross Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades K-8