No rating

Jesuit High School

Private | 9-12 | 1280 students

JHS is a Jesuit, Catholic, college-prep school w excellent programs/teachers.

Living in Portland

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $316,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted November 12, 2013

It was a good school for the first three months but then got real bad. I came from Saint Clare's, rivals to Saint John Fisher. Most of my friends transferred to Central Catholic, just like I did. A lot of Saint John Fisher kids went to Jesuit, and I finally transferred to CC, where I'm loving it.

Posted November 6, 2013

Jesuit High School offers challenging academics. The students are expected (and held to) strong character behaviors, respect of facility, instructors, peers, parents and others. There is a wide range of academics, clubs, religious experiences and other opportunities. It is a special place. My son feels challenged, but supported. He is expected to take care of himself and do the best he can do. I like Jesuit as it is a great training ground for college. The motto is do for others and do the best you can do. The school lives up to that motto and is a strong partner in making our son a man for others who now understands why we have the values we do.

Posted November 5, 2013

Jesuit does an outstanding job of teaching our kids to be excellent students as well as community leaders. I especially appreciate their teaching of community service, acting justly, and education excellence. The school has been not only wonderful for our children, but as a parent I feel part of a community. Being a part of the Jesuit community has brought be closer to other parents, more involvement in community service and a stronger faith.

Posted December 10, 2011

I am continually impressed with Jesuit's ability to produce incredibly talented young adults- both in the academic and athletic arena. 99% of graduates go on to attend a four university the next year... Pretty extraordinary for this day and age. Many people despise them, but why? These people are probably the one's who applied and were denied admission. In addition, I would like to point out that Jesuit must put it's name out there for perspective students, otherwise the school would have no applicants and close. Recruiting? No. Jesuit simply attracts the most accomplished young people because no other school can offer such a rewarding educational experience. I once sat next to a woman on a return flight from California who told me she moved her family from Corvalis to Beaverton so her kids could attend Jesuit. That's not recruiting.

Posted March 19, 2011

As a student at Jesuit High School I honestly have nothing but good things to say about the school. it has formed me into the person I am today, and I could not be more proud of that. Jesuit has a strong academic program that pushes its students to do better everyday. On the outside people see how competitive Jesuit sports are, while thats how competitive academics are also. Sports teams at Jesuit are good, but theres no recruiting, almost all my friends who play varsity sports started out as sub par athletes but through there strong dedication became the quality players that they are. Along with academics and sports, drama is a huge part of the Jesuit community. Its hard to believe that these production are high school plays when the actors have such talent. The strongest part of the Jesuit program is the Christian Service. As a graduation requirement students much do 65 hours of service working with marginalized people during their Junior or Senior year. This experience changes most people over time and opens students hearts and minds. I love Jesuit and could not think of a better place for a family to send their child.

Posted November 8, 2009

Jesuit is by far the greatest school I have gone to. Many people think that Jesuit recruits athletes for its athletic programs, when in fact they do not. They accept students based on their grades, involvement in extra-curriculars, and moral character, not so much their athletic ability. The community is strong and well-bonded; any religions are highly welcomed and respected. Students take many different religion courses to widen their knowledge of religions around the world. Overall, this has been the best school I have gone to.

Posted November 8, 2009

Jesuit is a demanding school that excels at academics, athletics and drama. We've had three kids attend, and they all appreciated the experience and were very well prepared for college. It can be a stressful place at times, due primarily to the academic rigor. If your child plays a sport, just understand the athletes are top tier and your child may or may not get the playing time desired, as happened to our kids. But American culture is over focused on sports anyway, so we simply told our kids to try their best and to value the education they received. The best part of Jesuit, by far, is its strong sense of community. Many kids are attending on scholarship, so if your family has limited financial means, or you are a minority with interested children, it still makes sense to apply (assuming my earlier inputs meet your family's goals).

Posted October 15, 2009

Jesuit High School was an interesting experience to say the least. As someone who was not athletic whatsoever, JHS's near-obsession with sports bothered me throughout my time there. However, after finding Jesuit's outstanding drama program, the school grew on me. As someone who was not Christian, I found it difficult to attend a school that was so faith-based. The student body is rather Conservative, a characteristic which I did not care for. Cons aside, Jesuit's elite academic offerings have truly prepared me for my freshman year at one of the nation's most prestigious universities. Jesuit creates a close-knit community that's rare in high schools today. Although I loathed JHS's athletic focus, religious intolerance, and Conservative leaning, opportunities for an outstanding education and lifelong friendships are plentiful. If you can get through the 4 years, I highly recommend going to JHS if only for its amazing educational quality.

Posted October 10, 2009

I went to Jesuit, and it was the worst decision i made. The academics were good and all, but the teachers were sooo strict and it was like all my independence went away. I went to a strict and horrible private catholic middle school and i thought when i went to jesuit, i would be free and experience actual freedom and get more responsibility. It was the opposite, I felt like someone in a military camp. So i transferred to Central Catholic and my life has been so much better. Central Catholic was the right decision for me.

Posted January 15, 2009

My youngest child will graduate from JHS this year. He has truly enjoyed it. He is not a top-tier 'recruited' athlete by any means - but worked hard and earned his varsity spot and I think that it meant more to him as a result. Great academics; very competetive. I've never seen the cliques on the student side, though I'm sure that they exist as in all high schools. Parents can be a little intimidating, but I think that's more of parents knowing each other from elementary schools, youth leagues, etc.. For the right kid, this is a wonderful school.

Posted December 31, 2008

It took me a long time to like jesuit. I almost did not return for my senior year. Cliques are definitely present, but not in a mean way. I always felt comfortable being around people and everyone was always friendly and nice. The academics at jesuit are great. The school provides many opportunities to get involved and has a great faculty and staff (for the most part). Athletics are a big deal, but basically if you are good, you play. People who complain its too competitive just complain because their kids weren't good enough to get on a varsity sport. Even though I didn't like Jesuit for most of my high school years, i'm glad i stayed for my senior year. Jesuit has made me who i am today, and I realize now I am a better person for having gone there.

Posted December 11, 2008

My son went to JHS for one year and absolutely could not stand it. While the academics are strong, the cliques and apparent wealth made him dread going to school daily. It's nearly impossible to make friends; I would send my children to any other school besides Jesuit.

Posted December 11, 2008

Jesuit is the number one school in Oregon for training our children to be leaders for others. The academics are by far the best as well.

Posted December 2, 2008

This is an excellent school, much better than the public school I transferred from. I'm not sure how 'narrow-mindedness' is present in Jesuit, seeing as to how it has taught me more about social justice than I would have ever learned as a kid growing up in Suburban Beaverton. I must admit that there is a 'bubble' feel to it, but that basically means the kids are much nicer and there is a greater sense of community. Jesuit doesn't expose you to gangs, drugs, and violence as well as it did when I went to public school, but, strangely, I enjoy that. Jesuit is not for everyone, but for those openminded students who want a great education and to enjoy your years as a high schooler, Jesuit could very well be the place for you.

Posted October 8, 2008

Great school in that the students are very good at memorizing facts and spitting them back come test time. Weak education in that it is narrow minded in a few ways and only three teachers I had it four years ever helped me think critically for myself and examine life outside of the weathly, Catholic bubble we went to school and lived in.

Posted September 30, 2008

Jesuit is all about image. Players are recruited for the sports teams to guarantee that the schools excels. Many good athletes are excluded for the sake of winning teams. This need to 'show' attitude carries into the many cliques, expensive cars and clothes of these children. Yes, the curriculum is sound, but the attitude of superiority and privilege amongst the students is sadly prevalent. I am unhappy to say that my daughter has excelled in this atmosphere. It is hard work to keep her grounded in our values. My next daughter will go elsewhere.

Posted September 6, 2008

Jesuit High School is definitely the best school in Oregon. It excels at everything- especially sports. Recently, Sports Illustrated rated Jesuit as #1 school for sports in America. The many course offerings also show the excellence of their academic program. The drama club is also one of the best in the country as it produces many unbelievable productions.

Posted May 19, 2008

Jesuit High School is a fine institution. The finest in the state. It excels in all facets including the arts, sports, and other extracurricular activities. The sense of community at Jesuit is very welcoming and no other high school can even come close in comparison.

Posted April 22, 2006

Jesuit has a solid academic program with excellent preparation in basic skills. Students will learn how to write essays. They will learn math fundamentals -- no rain forest math here. Sciences, history and languages are also well done. Students must take religion courses but these have interesting content even to the non-catholic. Excellent drama department with first rate productions. Caring student body with little in the way of cliques. I have had two children graduate and go on to attend top tier liberal arts colleges. Jesuit prepared them well to take the next step academically. Oh and sports programs are first rate but the programs are quite selective.

Posted April 17, 2006

Jesuit is a wonderful college prep school on every marker, and they have the best math department in the state, bar none! It can be lonely, however, if you are not Catholic, so be aware of that.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Social justice
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Foreign languages taught

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Industrial shop
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Portland

• Computer animation
  • Technical design and production

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor