Oregon Episcopal School

Private | PK-12 | 845 students

Living in Portland

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $234,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $860.

Sweep tile

Posted January 27, 2014

I am writing pertaining to the elementary ("Lower") school as I have no direct experience about the middle or upper (junior and high) schools. My experience was that everything depended upon the teacher whom the child got for the year. I was disappointed in the school's ability to handle a child with special needs. I would recommend this school for those with fairly typical children. I would not recommend this school for those whose children have special behavioral or learning needs. Their response to my child has ranged from heavy-handed to confused to un productive. They do not appear to be equipped to handle a wide range of behavior and learning styles.

Posted June 27, 2013

OES is a very special place, It has strong academics, yes, but it also values service to the community. The service is authentic and compassionate. The kids grow and learn to identify who they are (a force for good) as human beings in this world through service learning. Let's face it, book learning is important and OES does an job challenging the kids, but the type of learning that remains through adult hood is the kind that is learned through experiences. OES allows the kids to experience many things in a safe environment. My child went to middle school and will be in the high school also. I volunteer and participate in school functions and am blown away by the dedication and love the teachers and staff have for the kids. I am not wealthy, but all the parents I have met and worked with are down to earth, care about the kids and support the school. I would highly recommend this school. You as a parent and your child will get the most out of the OES experience if you volunteer and participate at school. I just keep wondering why all schools don't function at the level of OES. I don't think it's money. I think there is not enough will by you and me to make it happen.

Posted June 3, 2013

This a an amazing school. It has lots of opportunities for students to branch out. In middle school you can choose from three languages. Chinese, French, and Spanish. It is in the top three schools in oregon.

Posted June 3, 2013

Oregon Episcopal is as delicious as Chocolate Explosion Cake. It looks amazing from the outside and is chocolatey and gooey on the inside. It lived up to all of my expectations and has really helped me with some organization problems I had. They have an amazing writing program and help young writers expand outside of the OES community. I love Oregon Episcopal School and plan to stay hear through high school.

Posted February 3, 2012

Our son goes to Middle School at OES. We couldn't be happier with the level of education he is receiving. If you are lucky enough to be accepted into this school your child will be in a safe, caring and truly amazing environment.

Posted November 8, 2011

This school has exceeded our expectations. The overall attention to detail, level of communication with parents, and quality of teaching all serve to make this an incredible school. Our son could not be happier here.

Posted October 28, 2011

I have been at this school for my whole life. It is absolutely the best school I could ever imagine. The academics are amazing, the athletics are strong, the arts are great, humanities and languages are fantastic, and the math and sciences are incredible. You really cannot go wrong with OES because it has something for everyone. I love my school, it is my home and family. Now in high school, I am realizing how much my teachers and peers have shaped me as a person and I am truly grateful for that.

Posted May 4, 2011

As a parent of two children in the lower elementary school, we have experienced small nurturing classrooms, with excellent teachers. There is such a wide range of enrichment activities in arts, music, and sports that complement the strong academics. My children also enjoy the beautiful campus with the wetlands, woods, and the all-weather play areas!

Posted March 7, 2011

The training I got at OES, in academics and also in life, helped me succeed at college and beyond. I found my voice at OES, because I was constantly both challenged and supported. An amazing school, with a closeknit community and teachers I will admire for the rest of my life.

Posted January 8, 2011

We removed our son from this school after one year. This school lacks leadership, structure and the staff is out of touch. I am so glad we got out when we did. Our son is bright and finally being challenged at his new school!!! A big sales pitch that did not follow through.

Posted May 2, 2010

The relationships between teachers and students are what make this school stand out from any other school I have attended. Teachers at Oregon Episcopal are mentors, but also friends. Many of them prefer to be called by their first names, which eliminates the formalities involved with having student-teacher discussions. They teach rigorous courses full of a colorful array of challenges and surprises. In doing so, they keep every student engaged, excited, and constantly rising to new levels of academic excellence that many young scholars would envy. OES is about community, and what has been created there is a close-knit bond between every teacher, administrator, and student, young and old. Everyone is close, and well aware of how to respect one another. OES has provided a refreshing learning environment for my family and I to enjoy, and I am very grateful.

Posted January 15, 2010

OES is awesome!! We have so many programs such as AASK which is tutoring, Sirens which is a choir only for girls, Concert Choir, SLAC and many others. In addition, we are good at sports!! Of course we have ESL program as well that is very, really, super helpful for international students!!! Our Soccer Boys' Varsity won the State Champion this season!! Yeah!!! We're OES!!

Posted December 5, 2009

I love it at OES and plan to continue my education until the end of high school. It is a very good environment for all kinds of kids. It is a very inclusive community and has helped me grow as a person.

Posted October 25, 2009

As a retired college professor I sought out a school with extremely high educational standards, especially in the sciences. OES has exceeded my expectations! I am a little surprised to read some of the comments. The school is highly structured, has a well rounded academic program, small class size for personal student/teacher attention and what says it best is its college acceptance rate! Graduates are routinely accepted into the Ivy League schools, College of William & Mary, and Standford at a higher rate than any Oregon public school. Its only down side is that there are more applicants than seats available in each of the classes, so only 3 to 4 students a year are selected from the ever larger applicant pool, which may explain some of the comments I've seen here. Its an amazing school if you are lucky enough to be accepted. I won't consider any other!

Posted September 23, 2009

OES lacks structure, safety and fundamental foundation. The school has been an extreme disappointment to many for years and others are just beginning to see the light. Hopefully once a new Headmaster is hired the environment will shift, but for now it s unstable, at best.

Posted September 6, 2009

OES is a wonderful environment for many types of children. There are many reasons to love OES. The community is accepting, diverse and vibrant. The view I share is one that I know many people share. Not only is the campus very impressive but the faculty/staff are intellegent and professional.

Posted July 24, 2009

I truly expected more. I wanted an educational expeirence that would drive me further. My parents and I wish we had chosen a public school.

Posted July 17, 2009

Words cannot describe how far this school has fallen. If you are considering this school, I suggest you look elsewhere; I wish I had. The academics in the lower school are so weak. The basics are neglected.

Posted March 19, 2009

We have been in the Lower School at OES for five years (starting in kindergarten) and will leave for public school next year. We have been hugely disappointed with the lack of rigor and attention to solid academic curriculae. With so many 'extras' (quilting, musicals, buddy classes, etc.), we have felt that the acadmics have been lacking...to the point that we hired a tutor to work with our very bright child to 'fill in' the missing gaps that we expected to be taught in a school like OES. It has been a huge waste of money for us...and we no longer are willing to 'wait' to see if things improve.

Posted November 14, 2008

As a former parent of two sons who graduated from OES and who are now leading successful and independent lives, I must give this school the highest rating. The intellectual challenge that OES offered and the constant support during their 4 years there, have prepared them well for the world. I'm very grateful for this wonderful school. Sally Morris

Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 19% N/A
Asian 17% N/A
Two or more races 8% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Episcopal
Associations
  • NAES
  • NAIS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6300 SW Nicol Rd