Posted January 15, 2014
Our younger daughter attends 4th grade at Tucker Maxon (TM) and loves going every day. She always has a lot to say about her day after school and doesn't bring home stacks of easy worksheets which were the norm at her previous public school. She attended TM with her older sister until they were heading into kindergarten and 4th grade when we switched them into our neighborhood public school. Both did well in public school but were ignored since the teachers always had other students who needed lots of attention. After I saw her developing a little apathy about school, we switched her back and her enthusiasm has returned. TM also has such a family atmosphere where projects can really be achieved without going through the PPS bureaucracy. To top it all off, TM has amazing PE, Music, and Art programs.

Posted October 29, 2013
This is an outstanding school. I have had no complaints at all. The new teacher Courtney is a wonderful teacher and I see how happy the kids are. My daughter Kat has been going to tucker for awhile now and I have total trust in the staff here . I see my daughter working here someday, I just do. Thank you Tucker Maxon for your support and I recommend anyone to help this school, the staff is great and the kids are great. D.H

Posted July 08, 2013
An amazing gem of a school in SE Portland. Two years and two kids so far, and we have nothing but positive thoughts regarding this school. In addition to daily gym (with a rock wall), and a facility that is geared towards getting kids active and outside, there is also regular art, and music instruction. This school is for both children with hearing challenges, and "typically" developing children. Their reading and writing program had our oldest start pre-k with just recognizing letters, to writing not only his name, but the names of his classmates as well. This from a boy who finds reading very challenging. Mostly however, it is the incredibly kind, caring, and supportive environment Tucker has created for our children. 1:8 student teacher ratios just cannot be met anywhere else for the cost of this program. The attention and intention every person at Tucker has shown towards treating our children and our family with great dignity and respect is incredible. We are grateful for the folks at Tucker Maxon.

Tucker-Maxon Oral School 4

Posted May 21, 2011
This little school is more than a school, it is a community, where children learn empathy for others and get low student:teacher ratio. Leadership is lacking, but the teachers, audiologist, speech pathologist, and before/after school are wonderful. And PE every day!!! Every day where they can play on the new play structures or play an organized game with the unbelievable PE instructor. Parent involvement could improve if the school had good leadership.

Posted May 23, 2010
My five year old has just completed pre school at Tucker Maxon. I am thrilled at the level of support and knowledge available. My son is hard of hearing but suffered with language delay and he has thrived in the environment. There is no question that this is one of the BEST schools in Portland Oregon for quality education and low ratio; generally 1:8; unheard of in most schools.

Posted April 27, 2010

Posted February 04, 2010
We have chosen TM for our hearing child for the last three years (preschool, pre-k, k). We are both educators who value academic rigor and emotional and social development, and we are very impressed with the quality of learning we observe in this special community. Our child is ahead of peers in other schools due to the individualized attention he receives in a small class (12) with two teachers. The community offers a loving and nurturing environment for exploration and play that models respect, kindness, and empathy for others. They have art, music, PE daily, and a community garden. As one reviewer noted, they made some organizational changes last year. We worried about them too, but we are very pleased with how well things have gone this year. We can't imagine a better school for our child.

Tucker-Maxon Oral School 0

Posted July 09, 2009
My child was in preschool @ TMOS. We chose this school b/c of the great things we had heard. We found the teachers to be hardworking and dedicated to the students. Unfortunately, we spent much of the year disappointed with other aspects of the school. This school has no principal to oversee the teachers, students, and parents. This is a crucial role to have in a school. Instead there is a director who doesn't fill the role in the same way a principal would. Leadership is definitely lacking at the school. Staffing changes for next year have changed the way the school will be run. Things will be much different for both the hearing impaired children and the regular hearing children. In addition, tuition is going up again next year. There are better options out there for hearing children!

Posted March 24, 2009
Tucker Maxon provides my kindergartener with an excellent education and a great atmosphere in which to learn. I selected Tucker Maxon for preschool and have found that the elementary education to be superior to public schools as well. The behavioral management is very loving and my emotionally sensitive child has responded beautifully to the grounded and consistently kind classroom and playground management.

Posted March 09, 2009
Our hearing TAG son is thriving here: intellectually, developmentally, and socially. Individualized instruction has opened the door for our son to push far beyond the limits he faced at his previous school. Effective use of technology, an engaging curriculum, and high achievement standards all balance a fantastic PE program, a safe and inviting facility, and a strong focus on cultivating friendships and community. TMOS s caring environment supports children in becoming their better selves. Here, there is no teaching to the contract that made us abandon our Eastmoreland public elementary. TMOS s service to the deaf community empowers its teachers to see each child on his or her own terms - as a complex individual with specific needs and abilities. Only TMOS gives us affordability, close proximity to home, and excellent education for our kids. We only wish TMOS would again offer K 8 education, instead of ending their program at grade 5!

Tucker-Maxon Oral School
2860 Southeast Holgate Boulevard, Portland, OR  97202
Last modified Tucker-Maxon Oral School is a Private school that serves grades PK-5
Tucker-Maxon Oral School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top