Pacific Crest Community School 1

Posted December 04, 2010
Our child has learning disabilities and got off on the wrong foot his first year at Pacific Crest. He did much better his second year but he couldn't shake the negative label he was given by teachers. When he was asked to leave after the beginning of the third year, he was treated unfairly which set him back academically. Good school for some, not good for others.

Posted November 19, 2010
I am so relieved that we found Pacific Crest. Even though my son had tested as Talented and Gifted, he was failing some of his classes at a traditional public high school (one of the better ones!) His teachers and counselors had so many students, they didn't even seem to notice. He was bored, he was frustrated and disconnected. After a year at Pacific Crest, he is taking advanced classes and is engaged and doing the work. He looks forward to school and has become a different person. All I can say is, "thanks."

Posted June 22, 2010
We feared our gentle son would be eaten for lunch at our large local school. Pacific Crest was just what he needed, and he was excited to find such a good fit. Coming from a traditional educational backgrounjd, I worried that there was too little structure at the school, but he matured in this setting, and got the breathing space he needed to mature. I also worried about college admissions people working with an applicant without a GPA (PCCS is ungraded), but the portfolio that he had developed over four years was enthusiastically received, and he even received a significant merit scholarship based on the portfolio, scores and interview. Now, inspired by the wonderful staff at PCCS, and with a MFA, he wants to teach. We love this school!

Posted May 25, 2010
This school was exactly what my daughter needed after being lost in a big high school environment. Where I had to fight to get information and know how she was doing, I know that each instructer at Pacific Crest knows my child, how they are doing and will communicate with me on any important educational or social issues. My child loves the welcoming feel of the school, the opportunities to do community service and the chance to study classes that really capture her interests. She has been so inspired she has decided to become a teacher herself!

Posted May 25, 2010
This school is progressive and democratic. The teachers are wonderful and the students have a community that they can be proud of because everyone has a place in that community. This isn't "just" for so-called quirky kids or kids who march, so to speak, to the beat of their own drum, although it's a great thing that there's a place where quirkiness and independent thought are encouraged, of course! This school is for everyone who enjoys embracing their own experience and who wish to take responsibility for their own education. Check out the list of universities the graduates attend - truly impressive!

Posted May 16, 2010
I cannot recommend this school highly enough. Pacific Crest welcomes the kids who march to a different drummer and enjoys their unique beat. There are other schools for quirky kids, but this one truly prepares these students for college. Approaches vary but any and every subject is interesting and worth exploration. The history and social science subjects are exceptional and sciences are thoroughly covered. My son was able to take several science classes each term, which was heaven for him. I also appreciate the emphasis on social service. The parent culture is open minded and supportive, without a 'cult' atmosphere. I now have a kid who likes to go to school, and has found companions he wants to cultivate. It's such a relief to feel like the school 'has my back'.

Posted February 10, 2010
The kids at this school are all enthusiastic and unique, the teachers are amazing and really take the time to know the kids. There are a lot of special events that happen at the school that always makes things interesting. The school is buzzing with laughter and guitar strumming. The classes are really fun but also very educational; I've learned so much more at Pacific Crest then any public school in Portland I've ever been to. It's an amazing school.

Posted September 23, 2009
Pacific Crest has changed my child's life. He was under-performing and uninterested in his public high school. At Pacific Crest, he has blossomed. He loves going to school, he can't wait until school starts in the fall, he loves the teachers and the learning environment. The service learning program is amazing. The faculty are gifted and know how to inspire a student to want to learn. Just visit the school and you'll feel an up-beat, friendly, interested and engaged student body and faculty. I can't say enough wonderful things about PCCS.

Pacific Crest Community School 0

Posted July 14, 2009
We have sent two children to Pacific Crest, from 7th grade through high school. Our children are very diferent in personality and learning style. Each succeeded and were excited to attend, learn, and explore. They were challenged academically and creatively. The teachers are extraordinarily committed to teaching, and many are available during extended hours to help students. They teach for the love of it, not for income or benefits. Both my children felt prepared for college as a result of their PCCS experience. The school pledges to accept children with learning disabilities, which for a small private school, is particularly admirable. We as parents felt welcome and included in the community. Highly recommended!

Pacific Crest Community School 0

Posted September 10, 2008
I've had two different children attend Pacific Crest and I often recommend it to other families. It's a wonderful school for slightly out-of-the box students, especially those who are self-motivated, bright and creative. The school will let them go as far and as fast as they want to, and they will fit right into the community. It is not a good place for students who need lots of supervision or who want a traditional 'high school experience' with lots of team sports, dances and clubs. My children, who were pretty much sleep-walking their way through public school, rediscovered their love of learning at PCCS.

Pacific Crest Community School
116 Northeast 29th Avenue, Portland, OR  97232
Last modified Pacific Crest Community School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12
Pacific Crest Community School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top