Public charter
Portland, OR

Posted October 18, 2014
My son is repeating Kindergarten in public school after having attended kindergarten at the Opal Museum School. Montclair Elementary did an assessment on my six-year old son and here are the results: "When Lucas entered Montclair he knew the names of 19/26 of the upper case letters, 12/26 of the lower case letters, 7/21 of the consonant sounds, and 0/5 of the short vowel sounds. He did not know any of the approximately 40 Kindergarten sight words. As of yesterday, he now knows 25/26 upper case letter names, 23/26 lower case letter names, 13/21 consonant sounds, and 4/5 of the short vowel sounds. He knows 5 Kindergarten sight words, all of the ones we have learned to date. He is able to count to 29. On September 17 he was given the Oregon Statewide Kindergarten Assessment. I only have the raw scores from this assessment. Lucas was able to correctly name 12 letters in one minute. He was able to give the sounds for 5 letters in the next one minute timed test. In addition to these two measure, a math test was given. It included simple counting to 10, simple addition and subtraction to 10, and number sequence to 20. Lucas was able to answer 8/16 problems correctly. " Sad!

Posted April 23, 2014
The Opal School has been a tremendous gift to our family, and I cannot say enough positive things about the education our child is receiving there. We have one child in our neighborhood school and one at Opal, and wow....the differences are incredible. Opal is truly a magical place, and approaches education from so many different directions -- social, emotional, academic, artistic, physical. Out child continues to grow as a confident, sensitive and inquisitive collaborator in her education, and this is in large part to the competent and brilliant educators at Opal. She knows deeply that she has the power to learn, and even at 5 years old she is able to articulate that confidence and chart a path forward. The teachers and staff are hugely committed to the school and to children and families. We have been welcomed into the community with open arms, and have been provided with loads of opportunities for volunteering and other social events. Our child is absolutely thriving at Opal. We feel hugely grateful that this school exists in Portland, and also that they work so hard to share their research and insight with other local programs and schools.

Opal School Of The Portland Children's Museum 4

Posted February 26, 2014
Opal is amazing unique school. It supports kids learning of social responsibility and community involvement. I am confused by the bullying comment. Kids are given space to interact with each other and carefully guided when conflicts arise. The test scores might be poor in 3rd grade, but they are stellar by 5th, as the school does not "teach to the test." The downside to Opal is it only goes to 5th grade.

Posted January 31, 2014
Opal school is truly amazing! My son started at Opal in second grade and is now a fifth grader. What I've noticed about Opal is that it produces highly engaged learners who are self confident and happy. What my son is taking away from Opal is truly invaluable. I couldn't be happier.

Posted October 19, 2013
Stay Away! While the classrooms look lovely, children are not learning. Children in 3rd grade cannot do basic math or read! Children can barely pass the OAKS test (which is *not* hard). Children learn bullying here. You have to pay a 300 dollar materials fee!!! Stay away!

Posted October 10, 2010
My children attended Opal School for their elementary school years. I cannot say enough wonderful things about their school experience. My children were supported and nurtured by all of their teachers throughout their school experience. The teachers, staff and parents are a dedicated community of people who care deeply about educating our children. My children benefited tremendously. I can confidently say that my children know how to think, ask questions, inquire, be creative and have a strong sense of who they are and the gifts that they bring to their community. It truly is a place that is preparing children for the 21st century! I learned so much as well, and only wish that Opal School went all the way through high school!

Posted September 23, 2010
Opal school has continued to amaze me. My child is attending for his second year. The children are treated with the upmost of respect, the curriculum is intentionally designed to inspire and challenge children, the environment is very beautiful and the educators continue bringing leading ideas in education to the classroom. It is very rare to find a school that is so committed to excellence in so many ways.

Posted May 18, 2010
Enticed by the Reggio Amelia philosophy and CM2 location we left a "mediocre" public school to attend Opal. After a short time, we were substantially and consistently disappointed with the overall school culture created by inexperienced teachers, troubled leadership, a lack of social boundaries allowed with the children, plus a very poor practical interpretation of the Reggio philosophy. My child received report cards that revealed the teacher knew nothing about him. And worse, high marks were given where no testing or even lessons were given which I can only guess was to meet PPS test scores to remain funded by supposedly meeting benchmarks. Many of the kids there since preschool were illiterate in second grade. Classroom management was so unskilled that at times it resembled a sort of Opal "Lord of the Flies". Returning to public elementary was a relief. Run, Run, Run from Opal.

Posted May 18, 2010
My experience at Opal has been very well described by those giving three or less stars. This is a very, very poor school so do your homework before signing on. Something is rotting there and it takes a while to get past the pretty classrooms and stellar location to find it.

Posted May 03, 2007
I have faith in the Opal school's philosophy, and was impressed by my son's teachers there. We spent a year at Opal in their preschool program, and while I would encourage those parents entering the charter lottery, I discourage those considering the preschool. My son has taken huge leaps this year, and has emerged a creative, socially adept, inquisitive kid. He was treated with respect, and spent his days with what I consider to be his other family. However, the preschool kids are not guaranteed a spot in the charter school, so if you take this route your child is likely to be devastated. They are old enough to understand that there is a 'big kid school' within the building, but won't understand the bureaucracy. If you can, find your child a community in which he will be guaranteed a permanent place, or where all the kids are moving on.

Opal School Of The Portland Children's Museum
4015 SW Canyon Rd, Portland, OR  97221
Last modified Opal School Of The Portland Children's Museum is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Opal School Of The Portland Children's Museum Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top