Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Their attempts at stopping bullying in the past has only made the problem worse and created separation in the student body

Supports LD students: Agree

One of the few things this school does well is support students with learning differences

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The administrative staff is highly incompetent and bias

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

They all their current teachers almost every year and many of the teachers that come and go are incompetent

We have a Kindergartner at Trillium and over the last 9 months we have been very happy with the academic rigor, education philosophy and general community feel at this school. The process of selecting a Kindergarten in the Portland Metro area was arduous. After evaluating private school and public school options (including charter, alternative and focus programs), we applied to Trillium as an option. After getting accepted, we still had lingering concerns -- was a K-12 school appropriate for our 5-yr old? Is the location and facility a safe environment? Will the Democratic/Constructivist education philosophy meet our standards for academic rigor? Is the environment too liberal for us? Our experience to date has been extremely positive. Our Kindergartner is excelling academically and socially. I believe the small class size, blended age groups (K-1 blend) and exceptional teachers are major contributing factors. We are also very pleased to see that the education philosophy goes beyond academics and teaches kids how to be good citizens. They are learning about conflict resolution, caring and respect. I believe that Trillium is arming my child with skills they need to be a good person.

Trillium is a Portland Public School based around Democratic and Constructivist education and has been such a vibrant engaging place for my two boys. They are learning in an environment that values their voice, empowers them resolve conflict through mediation, and challenges them to keep asking questions.

My children have been attending this school since 2004. One of my students has struggled there (but is now in a new grade level and will have a different teacher which I think was an aspect in his struggles), and the other has thrived. I think both of them are learning what they need to know to operate in the real world. They are both thoughtful, smart and well spoken. There is a great sense of community. Regarding the changes in the administration, there were a couple of very turbulent years, and some tough decisions had to be made, but now they are on solid staffing ground and I have confidence that the new director has the experience and leadership skills necessary to help the school reach its full potential fulfill and exceed its mission.

I have been a parent of a student at Trillium for 7 years, and I highly recommend it for anyone who wants their children to learn problem solving, conflict resolution, and community involvement. It may not be the best choice for every child, but it certainly is for mine.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this school to anyone. We spent a total of 5 years with this school and it was a disaster. I didn't realize how much of a disaster until I moved my eldest child out of the school and into a traditional public school. My daughter was horribly mistreated AND emotionally harmed by her last teacher at Trillium. My husband and I pulled her out of the school after an especially traumatic event. Unfortunately, the staff involved in the decision to suspend my child after the fact, never bothered to meet with us nor did they make any effort to resolve the situation. Had this occurred in a traditional school, this teachers would have been fired. My child entered her new school two full academic years behind, she could barely read or compute simple math problems and she had no knowledge of punctuation. She was referred for special ed testing and had a very severe learning disability, something all the teachers at Trillium failed to notice. My son had a great experience at Trillium. His teacher was amazing. Unfortunately, she was forced out by the new administration. Before you decide to send your child to Trillium, attend a Board Meeting.

Trillium was once a great place where the kids were the main focus. The new administration systematically forced out the founders of the school. Most staff members who started with the school have been let go or have quit. The new administration has not one bit of experience in running a school and would rather decorate her office then buy books for kids. Most programs that made trillium unique are being phased out. Such as garden and traveling. The new administration would rather the school be filled with upper middle class white children.

Last modified Trillium is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.