Portland, OR

The Northwest Academy 3

Posted May 17, 2015
The arts offerings are impressive for such a small school, but not necessarily better than what can be found in large public high schools in the portland area. NWA does an exceptional job preparing students for college when it comes to academic writing and research. While the humanities faculty is excellent, the curriculum is very conservative and includes shamefully few texts by women. The math and science programs are merely average, although the class sizes are wonderfully small. The language classes are hit or miss. The school culture is not very welcoming. Parents are discouraged from contacting faculty with the idea that such communication would prevent students from learning to advocate for themselves, but an unfortunate result is that many parents feel unwelcome on campus and there is little sense of community among the families. The attrition rate is also very troubling and something to consider before making such a large investment.

Posted May 15, 2015
My daughter completed middle and high school at Northwest Academy and has become a lifelong learner curious about the world around her. From her first year in 6th grade reading and analyzing Kafka and Edgar Allen Poe and learning to tap dance , the combination of arts and academics has inspired her daily. She took risks in the classroom through her artistic responses to the material taught from science to math and pushed her limits by directing and performing in one-act plays for her high school playwriting class. We also loved the school's location in downtown Portland with many excursions around city for community service, film class and French field trips to the Portland Art Museum. We couldn't ask for a better campus and engaged staff.

Posted May 15, 2015
NWA is a remarkable school. The middle school is especially fabulous with a rigorous thought provoking curriculum that challenges students in a healthy creative way. Students are not pampered, but held accountable such that they learn to think, analyze, synthesize and evaluate. My child has continued to the high school and he is so happy. The level of education is amazing.

Posted February 26, 2015
This is my son's first year (8th grade) with NWA. I am a former teacher and am quite picky about his education. I have been thrilled with the academic classes and teachers, the 1:1 attention the students get, and am quite impressed with the high level of learning and thinking that is demanded of these kids. My son wanted to go to NWA to develop his crafts (acting, singing, visual arts, guitar) and has discovered many more things that he enjoys from his Arts classes. He says he is "home" and that he has found his "people" with NWA. He loves going to school, loves his classes and teachers, and that makes me very happy.

Posted October 08, 2013
Attending Northwest Academy was a transformative experience for both of my children. The teachers are beyond amazing. They have served as mentors and role models for my students and they inspire them on a daily basis. My children have grown intellectually, artistically, and emotionally in this environment. They have discovered that they are extremely capable. Personal responsibility and the value of community is woven into the culture of the school. The students respect each other and celebrate diversity. Sending my children to Northwest Academy is one of the best decisions I've made as a parent.

Posted February 20, 2013
The Northwest Academy has provided my children with an incredible mix of artistic and academic challenges. The dedicated teaching staff takes the time to get to know each individual student and I have always found staff to respond quickly to my questions or concerns. Although this is an 'arts focused' school, we have found the academics to be far superior to those which our eldest child received in our local school. A great deal of attention is paid to the development of solid writing skills, but the artistic responses provide an opportunity for students to show what they know in a wide variety of formats. Although no school is perfect, this one is pretty close.

The Northwest Academy 1

Posted February 20, 2013
My experience with NWA was most troubling. Their so-called proficiency-based education is actually a one-size-fits all, standardized program in which every student is obligated to complete the same assignments at the same time. My every effort to meet with my child s teachers one-on-one was rebuffed by requests for email explanations to justify why I wanted to meet and if a meeting was even necessary. What kind of school systematically discourages a parent from being involved in their child s education, especially when the child has special learning needs and the parent has more hands-on teaching experience than any of her teachers. In sum, I found the school, and most of the classes and the teachers to be uninspired, uncreative, uncooperative, developmentally unsound, pedagogically ineffective, pretentious, arrogant and HUMORLESS. Don't listen to me. Please, talk with educators at PSU or Lewis and Clark, and ask educational and clinical psychologists if they think the NWA program is developmentally and academically sound. I hope you don t make the same mistake that I did.

Posted January 26, 2013
AMAZING! Great academics and superb arts. Absolutley fabulous! I love this school, and the location is great. When open, visits to the farmers market on wednesdays for lunch are sooo much fun!

Posted May 14, 2012
I graduated from the NW Academy in 2006, and I have nothing but positive things to say about the school. The teachers are phenomenal and spend an incredible amount of time and effort on each and every one of their students. The learning environment is nourishing and challenging, but the students and staff form an excellent support system to prevent failure or discouragement. When I started at the NW Academy, I was disillusioned with public high school. By the time I left the school, I was a straight A student with the tools I needed to succeed in college. I was accepted into my first and second choice schools, and I am still in touch with several of my favorite teachers. Without this school, I would have been a completely different person. I would have been far less prepared for my involvement in the real world. Thanks to the NW Academy, I developed a lifelong love for learning, art, literature, film, and so much more. Throughout the journey, I found lasting friendships and a sense of community. The negative comments on here do not ring true with any of my experiences at the NW Academy. I can't recommend this school enough!

Posted April 16, 2012
Our daughter is in 7th grade and loves it. We love how NWA blends academics with the arts. The arts program is amazing, even for kids who are not necessarily "artsy." In academic subjects, kids prepare "artistic responses" to whatever it is that they've been studying. They recently finished "Catcher in the Rye" and responses ran the gamut- from a radio show, to model carousels, to an animated movie. The curriculum is sometimes integrated, like earlier this year when kids watched/discussed "Food, Inc." in one class, read "Grapes of Wrath" in English and went on a two-night retreat, visiting an organic farm and a town where migrant farmworkers live. The small class sizes allow teachers to truly get to know the students and the seminar-like courses mean that everyone participates. NWA takes advantage of its downtown location, with visits to places like the Oregon Historical Society, Powell's, PMA, and (last year) the International Film Festival. And the arts' performances -- wowza. I'm baffled by the comment about the school not encouraging parental involvement - there are plenty of opportunities for involvement - we feel somewhat guilty for not being able to be more involved.

The Northwest Academy