Portland, OR

Posted May 20, 2015
The school is rated high as the parents are pushing the kids, thereby pushing the test scores. This is a highly affluent and book-smart area, with kids going to many regular tutoring or classes or home "before/after-schooling" from young. Any school's state test scores will be 10/10 with such students.

Findley Elementary School 1

Posted May 14, 2015
I HATED this school!!! I wish I could give it negative stars because it is the worst school I have ever seen or heard of. The kids are mean (ALL of them) and the teachers are just AWFUL! The kids get yes real education and it is the trashiest school ever! HATEd it! If you know what is best for your child DO NOT send them here!

Findley Elementary School 2

Posted February 28, 2015
Findley's test scores are great but they represent the school demographics and the corresponding pressure for academic performance from the parents representing the majority of that demographic. As said by other reviewers, most students take outside tutoring and attend Saturday classes, leaving no room for other activites such as sports or simply enjoying life and developing interpersonal skills. This pressure and the school's strange rules about "no winners" doesn't prepare kids for real life. There are better schools nearby and even if you live in the Findley school district, you can request administrative transfers through the Beaverton School District to either Bonny Slope or Terra Linda. Terra Linda would be probably easier to get in. Even though Terra Linda's scores are not as high as Bonny Slope's, Terra Linda offers programs that are customized to each kid's ability such as IXL for math or Accelerated Reader for reading. By the way, these comments are based on comparing notes between parents from Findley and Terra Linda.

Posted December 15, 2014
Findley is a good school and teachers are really good. In my experience, the reason the school excels academically and students are up to 3 grades above grade level is because most parents make their children put in lots of extra efforts beyond what is taught at school. Outside tutoring (Kumon, Brainchild, Mathnesium etc.) is a norm. Many have been tutored from pre-school onward and come in the school above grade level. So if your child isn't a prodigy or does not get lots of outside help, it is like any other good school. (See other reviews) Pressure to be above-grade level is felt by all kids, and bright children who don't get the extra tutoring and are at grade level can feel inferior. It is a great school as long as you are aware of this and can keep your child feeling secure no matter whether of not your child gets extra tutoring.

Posted October 27, 2014
What an awesome school! First, I love how diverse the school is, many nationalities are represented. It's like a mini "world" representation within the school and all the kids mingle and get along. Lots of expats' kids attend- which is great, everyone is welcome and all cultures are embraced. What great life lessons the kids learn just to all be in the same classroom together and learn to respect each others' cultures. Second, this school is ready to challenge kids- with challenge math classes for each grade level, and "walk-to-read" levels, each kid is developed at his or her own pace. The teachers make it academic and ...fun! The parent support is FANTASTIC! All the following programs are parent led: Passport Club- teaches geography (my second grader knows where Algeria is located); Findley Flyers is the running club (my 1st grader ran a marathon last year throughout all the lunch-recesses); Art Literacy -teaches the kids about 6 famous artists throughout the year (my kinder-kid knew the term "abstract art'). Plus, Findley is in the process of becoming an International Baccalaureate School - PYP, so kids learn Spanish and the PYP attributes.

Posted May 29, 2014
My kids go to Findley, and I sub in other schools in the district. For the most part the Findley kids are doing work 1-2 grade levels ahead. The environment can be a bit high pressured, especially in the higher grades, but I still love the school. The families really care about the kids and the staff work hard. The new PYP curriculum is wonderful and my kids like it.

Posted May 10, 2014
Findley is overrated. The test scores are high because of the demographics and socio-economic status of the parents. The class sizes are way too big and there is little personal attention unless you are in the top or bottom few in your class. We continually asked our kids' teachers for more challenging work but never got any. There are some good teachers but I think they are overwhelmed. The rules of the school are strange as well and don't allow kids to be kids and develop interpersonal skills - no running at recess (because someone might get hurt), no winners at playground games (someone's feelings might get hurt!), etc. We moved to a nearby district and we, and our kids, are much, much happier.

Posted February 25, 2014
We moved last summer to be at Findley Elementary specifically and have not been disappointed at all. The teachers are phenomenal- they communicate with us regularly and professionally, challenge my kids to do their best, and seem to enjoy being there every day. The PTO and administration are organized and approachable as well as effective. We enjoy that the kids have opportunities to interact with kids of all grades and abilities; the expectations for students seem to be in line with what we have for our children so we feel like it's a fantastic fit for our family. Both kids have gotten personalized attention despite larger classes. The only thing we would like to see more of is technology in each classroom and in the curriculum but that's a state budget issue, not necessarily a problem specific to Findley.

Posted November 14, 2013
The teachers' dedication is phenomenal. My seven year old daughter gets personalized (!) homework. Parent participation is plentiful and awesome. My son gets extra challenge math because he has a math talent and he also gets extra reading classes because he is at grade level and ... wait for it ... therefore he is at the bottom of his class. But the greatest advantage Findley offers is excellent peer example. My kids simply want to be in line with or exceed other kids. With peers performing well, their motivation gets boosted beyond my expectation.

Findley Elementary School 2

Posted August 15, 2013
School is hyped by the other parents. The school results coordinate with parents pushy ness. Kids do not learn to respect each other but wealth.

Findley Elementary School
4155 NW Saltzman Rd, Portland, OR  97229
Last modified Findley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Findley Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top