Class Academy

Private | PK-6 | 150 students

Our school is best known for age blended classes and small class sizes

Living in Portland

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $380,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $850.

Sweep tile

School Official Point of View

Posted May 13, 2013

I have had the pleasure of serving as the Principal / Executive Director of CLASS Academy since 2011. I am so proud to collaborate with such an enthusiastic, energetic, and dedicated group of educators. Over half of our teachers have been teaching at CLASS Academy for over five years! CLASS Academy is a community of families and teachers dedicated to the social, emotional, and academic education of our spectacular students. We welcome your inquiries and feedback. If you are interested in learning more about our school please call us to schedule a tour!

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

Our son has gone to CLASS Academy for grades 3-5. Kids are generally grouped by age and move around for math. My son's classes had fantastic student to teacher ratios of <12:1. With the small class sizes, each child gets a good amount of teacher attention. Teachers are patient and diligent in coaching appropriate behavior. They work closely with parents on any issues and are happy to set up regular communication with parents. The school focuses on building solid fundamentals - reading, writing, and math. In addition, there is a focus on public speaking and presentations at an early age - something I wish I had as a kid. Mr. Dabbs, the art teacher is fantastic and the kids bring home amazing work, as well as contributing wonderful keepsakes for the annual silent auction. Awesome annual school musicals. The school grounds are small, but the teachers leverage the surrounding community with field trips to the neighborhood parks, community center, library and further with field trips and ice skating, swimming, and tennis lessons throughout the year. We really appreciate our time at CLASS Academy and the excellent curriculum that the teachers, Ms. Dodge, and Ms. Cantlon have created.

Posted October 21, 2013

Academically oriented, truly spectacular school. I especially appreciate the well organized homework system, open communication about the children's progress. The parents are kept informed and involved in the activities and in fact greatly encouraged. A well-rounded education system in a fun-filled environment that kids look forward to going to.

Posted October 20, 2013

Class Academy is a strong school that not only focuses on academics but also on helping its students become caring and productive citizens. Our child thrives in this school and never wants to leave when it is time to go home. The staff is 100% supportive of all the kids and they know everyone by name as well as their families. The classes are blended and it is not uncommon for students to move up to a diffferent class throughout the year as their academic and social skills advance. The classrooom size is amazing, my child's class has 13 students, and is a key to the school's success. My only worry, what to do after 8th grade!

Posted October 20, 2013

We have been incredibly happy with CLASS Academy for all of our children, each of whom has benefited in very different ways. For our oldest, CLASS has given him exactly the consistent structure he needs and the small class sizes have enabled him to catch up in all the agrees in which he was lagging. Our daughter has thrived in the mixed-age, ability-grouped classrooms and is academically performing far above her chronological age. We have been happy that so many teachers have stayed at the school for many years and are clearly devoted to the students and the school as a whole. My only hesitation is wondering if the preschool classrooms could incorporate more play-based learning, though my kids who've done preschool there have loved it.

Posted October 20, 2013

CLASS Academy is the most wonderful school! My daughter has been there since a week after she turned three years old. She's has skipped a grade already and is doing 4th grade work. They have half the class size of a public school and DESIGN THE CURRICULUM AROUND THE LEVEL OF THE STUDENTS IN THE CLASS! The teachers and staff are so kind and caring. They offer wonderful opportunities to all students like swimming and ice skating lessons for a week each as well as trips to the zoo, and the theater to all, and Outdoor school, pioneer museum. OMSI and Children's museum to age appropriate levels. The older kids get Smart boards, IT classes daily and alternating days of Spanish and music. Every day all kids get art with a designated art teacher and science. Included in the price is before and after school care, and the school operates year round, while still offering significant spring, early summer summer and pre-fall breaks. I intend to keep my child there through 8th grade where I know she will be well prepared for high school and beyond! CLASS Academy has been such a blessing for our family.

Posted October 18, 2013

My son has been going to this school since this August and absolutely loves it. The teachers and the staff are incredible! The teaching methods and the quality of education is awesome. Students get a lot of one-one attention from their teachers. I have been recommending this school to many of my friends since my son started at this school. We are very glad we found this school.

Posted October 17, 2013

Our son has been going to this school for the last 5 months and he absolutely loves it. Their teach methods generate real interest and enthusiasm in our son. The teaches give students individual attention and are also great at imparting good social and behavioral skills. Their volunteering program as well as regular updates via their blog or notes sent home keeps as us parents in the know of all the activities at school.

Posted October 17, 2013

Love this school. I put both my boys here because the school was academic oriented. Teachers make sure the kids are independent and disciplined. I would have rated this school with 5 stars only if it had a bigger playground.

Posted October 17, 2013

It's a great school with good teachers and the curriculum is excellent too. Just wish it had a bigger playground.

Posted June 10, 2013

We have been so happy at Class Academy for the last four years. We love the the small class sizes, incredibly dedicated teachers, total inclusion policy, and cheerful well-organized programs. Our two sons, different as could be, both blossomed here in their own particular ways. We are grateful for the school's ability and determination to see the unique strengths of each child, and build on those, instead of trying to make each kid as much like the average as they can. The year-round program is wonderful, and the approach and curriculum is very different over the summer but the kids stay engaged and close to their peers and never drift into a summertime funk. This school might not be the right fit for every family (or every teacher apparently) but it has been great for us and for the many families we know that keep their kids there all the way through.

Posted May 15, 2013

I worked on and off at CLASS for about 5+ years. I believe in the curriculum at CLASS and the freedom it allows its teachers. The curriculum is given to the teacher as a curriculum map and the teachers are able to put their own ideas into it. The new principal is amazingly organized and prepared. She listens to her teachers needs and tries to work with them so they feel supported. The new principal gives the teachers freedom to speak with the administration about other ideas they may have to add and / or replace within the curriculum map. I will not lie and say that's easy but it s what allows the teachers to enjoy their work. Teachers at CLASS are given some prep time but of course every teacher in every community would like more. If I felt I needed more time for lessons my team teachers worked with me, if I needed a bit of extra time to prepare for something I would discuss it with the administration and my team so I could get supported in my goal. As for the student community, I find it to be a very welcoming and friendly environment for all kids. Teachers there work really hard to create a place where kids feel safe to be themselves and in my opinion it is accomplished!

Posted May 9, 2013

Love what you do, and do what you love . That is the best way to describe being a teacher at CLASS. I have been a CLASS teacher for five years. In those five years, I have had the pleasure of teaching with amazing people, learning from creative minds, cooperating with devoted parents, and encouraging eager students. The community that has been created at CLASS is one of respect, unity, and fun. Our curriculum is developed based on the most effective and creative parts of multiple curriculum designs, to touch on all learning styles. The first way people describe CLASS Academy is the way a school, SHOULD, be. Advanced curriculum, small class sizes, passion for the arts, respect, and community. CLASS Academy is a great school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 18, 2013

I am confused by some of the negative comments by a former teacher. We haven t seen any teacher turnover in the school in the past year and all the teachers profess to love it there. My son has been at CLASS Academy for a year now and we chose it for the curriculum. At three years old, my son is reading and doing math problems and he is so proud of himself. Kindergarteners are doing geometry. They have a very structured program which we appreciate but the after-school program allows for free play and other activities. The kids wear uniforms and are rewarded for helping out and mentoring other kids. Public speaking is part of the curriculum as well. CLASS Academy has a very diverse student body and a high number of Indian-American children.

Posted April 4, 2013

My older daughter has been at CLASS for 5 years and my younger one for 2 years. They both have had a wonderful experience with the teachers they have had over the years. As a parent I really think that the teachers at CLASS do an amazing job with the students in educating them and having fun at the same time. They do have a limited playing space but make up in many ways by taking the kids Ice skating in winter, swimming in spring and to the park (almost everyday) during the summer.T

Posted February 21, 2013

My daughter has been at Class Academy for almost four years now. We moved her there because we felt she needed a small classroom size and more attention from her teachers. Class Academy has proved to be all we had hoped for. They are able to tailor her work to her level of academic achievement while still keeping her in a classroom of her peers. Her nightly homework keeps me up to date on her progress and her teachers and the school principal have always made themselves available to provide me with progress reports and to discuss concerns. I love it that they go outside daily for exercise in addition to visiting nearby gym for basket ball, volleyball and other games. All in all, she is receiving an outstanding education in an environment where she feels safe and well care for.

Posted November 9, 2012

My kids have been at Class Academy for four years. It has been a life changing place for both of them. The school encourages independence, creative thought and kindness. Every teachers knows each and every student, and there is a real community feel to the school. Rather than sitting at a desk all day, movement and activity is incorporated into learning at all age levels. Older kids mentor pre-K kids, and every child is truly included at Class. The year round program sounds very rigorous, but the teachers make summer a time of fun and review so kids aren't burned out when they start new material in September. I can't say enough good things about our school!

Posted March 15, 2012

There is a comment by the "principal" - whom was hired in the last few years- as a teacher there- she was not truthful about staff having "competitive wages and are on salary". Everyone gets a different payment and I was on a hourly payment. I was also only given one hour of prep per week. Teachers are treated very differently depending on how the owner or principal feel that day. Working there was the worst work experience I have ever had- chaotic, negative..etc. I work at a school now that is amazing- there are much better choices for schools out there!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 17, 2011

I was a teacher at CLASS for two years, and I found it to be a very negative experience. The Principal runs the school like a business with complete disregard for the educational experience of the teachers and the students. Teachers are not evaluated based on their teaching skills or effort, but rather on their personal relationship with the principal at that given moment. The learning environment is chaotic for the teachers and the students for many reasons, but mostly because the daily schedule of curriculum is inconsistent and fragmented. The year that I left the school, a third of the staff quit. I think that this says quite a bit about the quality of the educational environment.

Posted October 26, 2011

My daughter has been attending Class Academy for over six years and it has been a wonderful environment for her. Although the school bills itself as having an "advanced" curriculum, the thing that really makes the school stand out is the way they teach. Instead of reading textbooks and taking numerous tests, the students are immersed in projects that make learning fun. Some examples are building a r model of the Great Wall of China inside their classroom, churning their own butter, conducting pretend archaeological digs, re-enacting pioneer life, etc. Students also learn public speaking at an early age and by middle school can give very effective presentations. They also have art instruction every day, receive personal attention in small classes, and are taught to be respectful and kind to their teachers and peers. In our experience most of the teachers have been outstanding and some are just "okay," but you'll find that in any school. Many of them have been on staff for five years or more. The only downsides to the school are the small outside play area for the kids and no electives for the older students. The school is probably best for 4-10 year olds.

Posted October 10, 2011

Pretty sad when one of the school's administrators has to respond to the less than positive concerns shared by former parents and teachers to try and set the record straight. Also, gives the school an opportunity to have that administrator give the school five stars. Their feedback should be weighted as less important because they are a current administrator. Feedback from those who have experienced the school, either positively or negatively, should be weighted more. Those who have shared their concerns have some very valid insights. Our personal association with the school was not positive at all for either of our children. I would never recommend the school to anyone. There are so many more schooling options in the Portland area that provide a much more positive and nurturing environment. A different top administrator at the school is what needs to change, the owner. It is a for profit school so remember that when looking at it as a potential place for your child(ren). The "owner" makes a lot of money while the staff live on low salaries. Or, the "owner" begs for parents to contribute money for school repairs, painting, and the bonuses that the staff receive.

Asian 45% N/A
Two or more races 5% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:15 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:45 p.m.
  • Heidi Dodge
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Year-round
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Multi-aged
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Drama
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer time after school