Portland, OR

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I have had the pleasure of serving as the Principal / Executive Director of CLASS Academy since 2011. I am so proud to collaborate with such an enthusiastic, energetic, and dedicated group of educators. Over half of our teachers have been teaching at CLASS Academy for over five years! CLASS Academy is a community of families and teachers dedicated to the social, emotional, and academic education of our spectacular students. We welcome your inquiries and feedback. If you are interested in learning more about our school please call us to schedule a tour!
May 13, 2013

Posted February 16, 2015
I was a student who had attended CLASS Academy for about 7 years. In the first few years the school was amazing, during which I was bumped up not 1 but 2 grade levels ( I was suppose to be in 3rd grade). This was when my experience at CLASS Academy started going downhill. I missed out on a lot of basic math that was needed for this grade level, and as a result was held back in that level for 2 years, STILL not learning the basic math that was required. Later in 6th grade they started allowing children with mental issues attend, but the teachers didn't have the proper training to deal with these students. They often threw dangerous temper tantrums in which heavy objects would be thrown around the room. Students without issues were harmed, and often blamed for these outbursts. Many parents believe that sending their children here will help them advance because of their year round program, but I can tell you first hand that nothing is learned during this time. One summer we played the same 3 math games for 3 hours every day. There are MANY more issues with CLASS Academy including us getting bullied by the teachers. DO NOT SEND YOUR STUDENTS TO THIS SCHOOL.

Posted January 30, 2015
You will like: 1. the small class sizes (12-13pp) 2. good blend of male and female teachers 3. Convenience of before- and after- school care (til 6p) 4. some of the preferences of a small school environment, if that is what you seek You will NOT like: - The location (if you have to travel thru the tunnel to get there). - PARKING - the number of socio-behavioral students in the school - the lack of accelerated curriculum - lack of good judgment for admin staff BE SURE TO ASK: 1. how many incidents of socio-behavioral incidents have they had in the last (pick one: day, week, month, year)? Don't accept the run around - ask them to quantify the incidents. You may be surprised at the result. 2. What is the average tenure of a teacher? What is the turnover ratio? 3. How do you address bullying? Please provide examples. 4. Who owns the school? 5. Am I allowed to speak directly to another parent about incidents in the class? 6. How long does the average family stay at Class? 7. What are your enrollment numbers for the past 2 or 3 years? 8. You advertise an accelerated curriculum. What exactly does that look like? ASK FOR SPECIFICS!

Posted January 08, 2015
I am a old student at this school and it was the best. You could be put in whatever level of any class that was best for there level. Also there were very nice people and t is easy to make friends. The teachers are great and I loved it.

Posted October 27, 2014
I worked at this school and it was terrible. When anyone writes a bad review they automatically take it down.

Class Academy 4

Posted April 14, 2014
Our son has gone to CLASS Academy for grades 3-5. Kids are generally grouped by age and move around for math. My son's classes had fantastic student to teacher ratios of <12:1. With the small class sizes, each child gets a good amount of teacher attention. Teachers are patient and diligent in coaching appropriate behavior. They work closely with parents on any issues and are happy to set up regular communication with parents. The school focuses on building solid fundamentals - reading, writing, and math. In addition, there is a focus on public speaking and presentations at an early age - something I wish I had as a kid. Mr. Dabbs, the art teacher is fantastic and the kids bring home amazing work, as well as contributing wonderful keepsakes for the annual silent auction. Awesome annual school musicals. The school grounds are small, but the teachers leverage the surrounding community with field trips to the neighborhood parks, community center, library and further with field trips and ice skating, swimming, and tennis lessons throughout the year. We really appreciate our time at CLASS Academy and the excellent curriculum that the teachers, Ms. Dodge, and Ms. Cantlon have created.

Posted October 21, 2013
Academically oriented, truly spectacular school. I especially appreciate the well organized homework system, open communication about the children's progress. The parents are kept informed and involved in the activities and in fact greatly encouraged. A well-rounded education system in a fun-filled environment that kids look forward to going to.

Posted October 20, 2013
Class Academy is a strong school that not only focuses on academics but also on helping its students become caring and productive citizens. Our child thrives in this school and never wants to leave when it is time to go home. The staff is 100% supportive of all the kids and they know everyone by name as well as their families. The classes are blended and it is not uncommon for students to move up to a diffferent class throughout the year as their academic and social skills advance. The classrooom size is amazing, my child's class has 13 students, and is a key to the school's success. My only worry, what to do after 8th grade!

Posted October 20, 2013
We have been incredibly happy with CLASS Academy for all of our children, each of whom has benefited in very different ways. For our oldest, CLASS has given him exactly the consistent structure he needs and the small class sizes have enabled him to catch up in all the agrees in which he was lagging. Our daughter has thrived in the mixed-age, ability-grouped classrooms and is academically performing far above her chronological age. We have been happy that so many teachers have stayed at the school for many years and are clearly devoted to the students and the school as a whole. My only hesitation is wondering if the preschool classrooms could incorporate more play-based learning, though my kids who've done preschool there have loved it.

Posted October 20, 2013
CLASS Academy is the most wonderful school! My daughter has been there since a week after she turned three years old. She's has skipped a grade already and is doing 4th grade work. They have half the class size of a public school and DESIGN THE CURRICULUM AROUND THE LEVEL OF THE STUDENTS IN THE CLASS! The teachers and staff are so kind and caring. They offer wonderful opportunities to all students like swimming and ice skating lessons for a week each as well as trips to the zoo, and the theater to all, and Outdoor school, pioneer museum. OMSI and Children's museum to age appropriate levels. The older kids get Smart boards, IT classes daily and alternating days of Spanish and music. Every day all kids get art with a designated art teacher and science. Included in the price is before and after school care, and the school operates year round, while still offering significant spring, early summer summer and pre-fall breaks. I intend to keep my child there through 8th grade where I know she will be well prepared for high school and beyond! CLASS Academy has been such a blessing for our family.

Posted October 18, 2013
My son has been going to this school since this August and absolutely loves it. The teachers and the staff are incredible! The teaching methods and the quality of education is awesome. Students get a lot of one-one attention from their teachers. I have been recommending this school to many of my friends since my son started at this school. We are very glad we found this school.

Class Academy