PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I have had the pleasure of serving as the Principal / Executive Director of CLASS Academy since 2011. I am so proud to collaborate with such an enthusiastic, energetic, and dedicated group of educators. Over half of our teachers have been teaching at CLASS Academy for over five years! CLASS Academy is a community of families and teachers dedicated to the social, emotional, and academic education of our spectacular students. We welcome your inquiries and feedback. If you are interested in learning more about our school please call us to schedule a tour!
May 13, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Teachers go above and beyond to bring fun to learning.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Homework is meant to reinforce the learning happening in the classroom. Not to create hours of struggling through new concepts at home.

I have the distinct privilege of having worked at CLASS Academy for 13 years and also, I am now thrilled that my older child is in the Preschool program! This unique point of view (being an employee and a parent) has only deepened my conviction that CLASS is the best place for children to learn and grow. My son started this past Fall at barely 2.5 years old. In this short time, he has learned patterning, numeral recognition up to 10, counting to 20+, 3-D shapes, and he can recognize and is starting to write many of his letters. What I am most impressed by, however, is how independent and self-confident he is becoming, due to the care and guidance he receives every day. He wants to dress himself, he wants to do his homework, he wants to try things on his own that have previously been a struggle. It is one thing to believe in a school program because of the wonderful results you've seen students achieve through many years. It is quite another to experience and witness those results first-hand in your own child. The inclusive community and diversity that CLASS offers teaches our students life-skills that help them succeed in and out of the classroom. I could go on forever :-). Come check us out for yourself!

We switched my son over to Class Academy from a top rated Beaverton Public school during the 2nd grade. He had become disengaged at school and was struggling with math and homework. It all turned around at Class Academy. The small class sizes were right for his style of learning. He never complains about having to go to school, he's WAY ahead academically than his peers he left at public school and is so much happier. We have enrolled our younger son as well and he's doing incredibly well. I love the staff, I love the flexible hours to pick up kids, I love the class sizes, I love that kids are engaged all day. I wish it were closer to my home or work and I wish it had larger facilities, but I still love it and wouldn't take my kids anywhere else.

Class Academy has saved our sons education, he was in public school, tested as TAG and was behind in almost every subject. He hated going to school and fought us every morning wanting to stay home. He has been in Class Academy for the past year, he is excelling in every subject and loves going to school. Beyond academics they teach the kids to be independent, responsible people. Class Academy is rigorous in their education but they do it in a way that the kids enjoy it. Plenty of physical activity keeps the kids focused, which is great. We were concerned about the summer school but considering there is a 2 week break in the beginning and a 2 week at the end of summer it is not an issue. My son loves the school and loves his friends there so he is happy to go. Summers are a bit more laid back and similar to a camp. I agree with previous reviews that the outdoor area is small but they do a great job keeping the kids active. There is an indoor gym area, regular field trips, swimming lessons and ice skating so we are more than pleased with the physical activity. After school care is great, we personally do not need aftercare but my son likes to stay. From 2:30pm-3pm they have "home work table" and he gets most of it done (no homework during summer session). After that there is plenty of physical and learning activities. I believe this school is a hidden gem in Portland private school options.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Very attentive and they understand each child as an individual and their specific learning style and needs.

Our son has been at CLASS Academy for 3 years and he is getting an amazing education. He is FAR more academically advanced than his same-aged friends at both public and private schools. The age-blended classes are great--the kids are grouped in a way that makes the most sense academically and socially. I strongly believe in the year-round school year and the teachers are fantastic. The curriculum is much more advanced for the corresponding grade levels than our local PPS school. For the money, the education is as rigorous and wholistic as much more expensive private schools like Catlin Gable and OES. Two downsides to the school: 1) small outdoor space and 2) the school is really too small at grades 6-8. I think many kids start to leave as they get older for that reason which, of course, compounds the problem.

I am a former teacher at CLASS. It was my first teaching experience and I couldn't have asked for a better place to learn and grow as an educator. The education philosophy of CLASS is one that I fully embrace in my own personal educational beliefs. Small class sizes, age blended, and hands on learning activities help to provide each student with a unique learning experience and allow them to grow at their own pace moving them along their instructional level. I strongly support the year round calendar from both an educator and parent perspective. It improves retention of material as well as the students cover more material through out the year. CLASS encourages community awareness through service learning projects, provides fun field trip experiences, supports development of public speaking skills, incorporates technology into the classroom, and recognizes and celebrates diversity. When speaking of my time with CLASS I often mention how I wish we had a location in the city I live in own, not only so I could teach again in this amazing learning environment, but so that my children could also attend.

As a former employee, I can say that Class Academy is a hidden gem! The school as a whole is amazing! The teachers are educated, devoted and energetic. The entire staff goes out of their way to make learning a fun and positive experience. When you walk into the school you will experience learning going on everywhere! The walls are brightly covered with students art work, school pictures, awards and upcoming events are always displayed. You will also hear the voices of happy children and cheerful teachers throughout each classroom. The curriculum at Class Academy is very strong and one of the best I have ever taught with and it is designed for the success of every child. I would highly recommend Class Academy.

I was a student who had attended CLASS Academy for about 7 years. In the first few years the school was amazing, during which I was bumped up not 1 but 2 grade levels ( I was suppose to be in 3rd grade). This was when my experience at CLASS Academy started going downhill. I missed out on a lot of basic math that was needed for this grade level, and as a result was held back in that level for 2 years, STILL not learning the basic math that was required. Later in 6th grade they started allowing children with mental issues attend, but the teachers didn't have the proper training to deal with these students. They often threw dangerous temper tantrums in which heavy objects would be thrown around the room. Students without issues were harmed, and often blamed for these outbursts. Many parents believe that sending their children here will help them advance because of their year round program, but I can tell you first hand that nothing is learned during this time. One summer we played the same 3 math games for 3 hours every day. There are MANY more issues with CLASS Academy including us getting bullied by the teachers. DO NOT SEND YOUR STUDENTS TO THIS SCHOOL.

Last modified Class Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8