Portland, OR

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I have had the pleasure of serving as the Principal / Executive Director of CLASS Academy since 2011. I am so proud to collaborate with such an enthusiastic, energetic, and dedicated group of educators. Over half of our teachers have been teaching at CLASS Academy for over five years! CLASS Academy is a community of families and teachers dedicated to the social, emotional, and academic education of our spectacular students. We welcome your inquiries and feedback. If you are interested in learning more about our school please call us to schedule a tour!
May 13, 2013

Class Academy 4

Posted April 22, 2015
Our son has been at CLASS Academy for 3 years and he is getting an amazing education. He is FAR more academically advanced than his same-aged friends at both public and private schools. The age-blended classes are great--the kids are grouped in a way that makes the most sense academically and socially. I strongly believe in the year-round school year and the teachers are fantastic. The curriculum is much more advanced for the corresponding grade levels than our local PPS school. For the money, the education is as rigorous and wholistic as much more expensive private schools like Catlin Gable and OES. Two downsides to the school: 1) small outdoor space and 2) the school is really too small at grades 6-8. I think many kids start to leave as they get older for that reason which, of course, compounds the problem.

Posted April 06, 2015
I am a former teacher at CLASS. It was my first teaching experience and I couldn't have asked for a better place to learn and grow as an educator. The education philosophy of CLASS is one that I fully embrace in my own personal educational beliefs. Small class sizes, age blended, and hands on learning activities help to provide each student with a unique learning experience and allow them to grow at their own pace moving them along their instructional level. I strongly support the year round calendar from both an educator and parent perspective. It improves retention of material as well as the students cover more material through out the year. CLASS encourages community awareness through service learning projects, provides fun field trip experiences, supports development of public speaking skills, incorporates technology into the classroom, and recognizes and celebrates diversity. When speaking of my time with CLASS I often mention how I wish we had a location in the city I live in own, not only so I could teach again in this amazing learning environment, but so that my children could also attend.

Posted March 12, 2015
As a former employee, I can say that Class Academy is a hidden gem! The school as a whole is amazing! The teachers are educated, devoted and energetic. The entire staff goes out of their way to make learning a fun and positive experience. When you walk into the school you will experience learning going on everywhere! The walls are brightly covered with students art work, school pictures, awards and upcoming events are always displayed. You will also hear the voices of happy children and cheerful teachers throughout each classroom. The curriculum at Class Academy is very strong and one of the best I have ever taught with and it is designed for the success of every child. I would highly recommend Class Academy.

Posted February 16, 2015
I was a student who had attended CLASS Academy for about 7 years. In the first few years the school was amazing, during which I was bumped up not 1 but 2 grade levels ( I was suppose to be in 3rd grade). This was when my experience at CLASS Academy started going downhill. I missed out on a lot of basic math that was needed for this grade level, and as a result was held back in that level for 2 years, STILL not learning the basic math that was required. Later in 6th grade they started allowing children with mental issues attend, but the teachers didn't have the proper training to deal with these students. They often threw dangerous temper tantrums in which heavy objects would be thrown around the room. Students without issues were harmed, and often blamed for these outbursts. Many parents believe that sending their children here will help them advance because of their year round program, but I can tell you first hand that nothing is learned during this time. One summer we played the same 3 math games for 3 hours every day. There are MANY more issues with CLASS Academy including us getting bullied by the teachers. DO NOT SEND YOUR STUDENTS TO THIS SCHOOL.

Posted January 30, 2015
You will like: 1. the small class sizes (12-13pp) 2. good blend of male and female teachers 3. Convenience of before- and after- school care (til 6p) 4. some of the preferences of a small school environment, if that is what you seek You will NOT like: - The location (if you have to travel thru the tunnel to get there). - PARKING - the number of socio-behavioral students in the school - the lack of accelerated curriculum - lack of good judgment for admin staff BE SURE TO ASK: 1. how many incidents of socio-behavioral incidents have they had in the last (pick one: day, week, month, year)? Don't accept the run around - ask them to quantify the incidents. You may be surprised at the result. 2. What is the average tenure of a teacher? What is the turnover ratio? 3. How do you address bullying? Please provide examples. 4. Who owns the school? 5. Am I allowed to speak directly to another parent about incidents in the class? 6. How long does the average family stay at Class? 7. What are your enrollment numbers for the past 2 or 3 years? 8. You advertise an accelerated curriculum. What exactly does that look like? ASK FOR SPECIFICS!
4 people found this helpful

Posted January 08, 2015
I am a old student at this school and it was the best. You could be put in whatever level of any class that was best for there level. Also there were very nice people and t is easy to make friends. The teachers are great and I loved it.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 27, 2014
I worked at this school and it was terrible. When anyone writes a bad review they automatically take it down.
4 people found this helpful

Class Academy 4

Posted April 14, 2014
Our son has gone to CLASS Academy for grades 3-5. Kids are generally grouped by age and move around for math. My son's classes had fantastic student to teacher ratios of <12:1. With the small class sizes, each child gets a good amount of teacher attention. Teachers are patient and diligent in coaching appropriate behavior. They work closely with parents on any issues and are happy to set up regular communication with parents. The school focuses on building solid fundamentals - reading, writing, and math. In addition, there is a focus on public speaking and presentations at an early age - something I wish I had as a kid. Mr. Dabbs, the art teacher is fantastic and the kids bring home amazing work, as well as contributing wonderful keepsakes for the annual silent auction. Awesome annual school musicals. The school grounds are small, but the teachers leverage the surrounding community with field trips to the neighborhood parks, community center, library and further with field trips and ice skating, swimming, and tennis lessons throughout the year. We really appreciate our time at CLASS Academy and the excellent curriculum that the teachers, Ms. Dodge, and Ms. Cantlon have created.

Posted October 21, 2013
Academically oriented, truly spectacular school. I especially appreciate the well organized homework system, open communication about the children's progress. The parents are kept informed and involved in the activities and in fact greatly encouraged. A well-rounded education system in a fun-filled environment that kids look forward to going to.

Posted October 20, 2013
Class Academy is a strong school that not only focuses on academics but also on helping its students become caring and productive citizens. Our child thrives in this school and never wants to leave when it is time to go home. The staff is 100% supportive of all the kids and they know everyone by name as well as their families. The classes are blended and it is not uncommon for students to move up to a diffferent class throughout the year as their academic and social skills advance. The classrooom size is amazing, my child's class has 13 students, and is a key to the school's success. My only worry, what to do after 8th grade!

Class Academy