School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I have had the pleasure of serving as the Principal / Executive Director of CLASS Academy since 2011. I am so proud to collaborate with such an enthusiastic, energetic, and dedicated group of educators. Over half of our teachers have been teaching at CLASS Academy for over five years! CLASS Academy is a community of families and teachers dedicated to the social, emotional, and academic education of our spectacular students. We welcome your inquiries and feedback. If you are interested in learning more about our school please call us to schedule a tour!
May 13, 2013

Posted April 14, 2014
Our son has gone to CLASS Academy for grades 3-5. Kids are generally grouped by age and move around for math. My son's classes had fantastic student to teacher ratios of <12:1. With the small class sizes, each child gets a good amount of teacher attention. Teachers are patient and diligent in coaching appropriate behavior. They work closely with parents on any issues and are happy to set up regular communication with parents. The school focuses on building solid fundamentals - reading, writing, and math. In addition, there is a focus on public speaking and presentations at an early age - something I wish I had as a kid. Mr. Dabbs, the art teacher is fantastic and the kids bring home amazing work, as well as contributing wonderful keepsakes for the annual silent auction. Awesome annual school musicals. The school grounds are small, but the teachers leverage the surrounding community with field trips to the neighborhood parks, community center, library and further with field trips and ice skating, swimming, and tennis lessons throughout the year. We really appreciate our time at CLASS Academy and the excellent curriculum that the teachers, Ms. Dodge, and Ms. Cantlon have created.

Posted October 21, 2013
Academically oriented, truly spectacular school. I especially appreciate the well organized homework system, open communication about the children's progress. The parents are kept informed and involved in the activities and in fact greatly encouraged. A well-rounded education system in a fun-filled environment that kids look forward to going to.

Posted October 20, 2013
Class Academy is a strong school that not only focuses on academics but also on helping its students become caring and productive citizens. Our child thrives in this school and never wants to leave when it is time to go home. The staff is 100% supportive of all the kids and they know everyone by name as well as their families. The classes are blended and it is not uncommon for students to move up to a diffferent class throughout the year as their academic and social skills advance. The classrooom size is amazing, my child's class has 13 students, and is a key to the school's success. My only worry, what to do after 8th grade!

Posted October 20, 2013
We have been incredibly happy with CLASS Academy for all of our children, each of whom has benefited in very different ways. For our oldest, CLASS has given him exactly the consistent structure he needs and the small class sizes have enabled him to catch up in all the agrees in which he was lagging. Our daughter has thrived in the mixed-age, ability-grouped classrooms and is academically performing far above her chronological age. We have been happy that so many teachers have stayed at the school for many years and are clearly devoted to the students and the school as a whole. My only hesitation is wondering if the preschool classrooms could incorporate more play-based learning, though my kids who've done preschool there have loved it.

Posted October 20, 2013
CLASS Academy is the most wonderful school! My daughter has been there since a week after she turned three years old. She's has skipped a grade already and is doing 4th grade work. They have half the class size of a public school and DESIGN THE CURRICULUM AROUND THE LEVEL OF THE STUDENTS IN THE CLASS! The teachers and staff are so kind and caring. They offer wonderful opportunities to all students like swimming and ice skating lessons for a week each as well as trips to the zoo, and the theater to all, and Outdoor school, pioneer museum. OMSI and Children's museum to age appropriate levels. The older kids get Smart boards, IT classes daily and alternating days of Spanish and music. Every day all kids get art with a designated art teacher and science. Included in the price is before and after school care, and the school operates year round, while still offering significant spring, early summer summer and pre-fall breaks. I intend to keep my child there through 8th grade where I know she will be well prepared for high school and beyond! CLASS Academy has been such a blessing for our family.

Posted October 18, 2013
My son has been going to this school since this August and absolutely loves it. The teachers and the staff are incredible! The teaching methods and the quality of education is awesome. Students get a lot of one-one attention from their teachers. I have been recommending this school to many of my friends since my son started at this school. We are very glad we found this school.

Posted October 17, 2013
Our son has been going to this school for the last 5 months and he absolutely loves it. Their teach methods generate real interest and enthusiasm in our son. The teaches give students individual attention and are also great at imparting good social and behavioral skills. Their volunteering program as well as regular updates via their blog or notes sent home keeps as us parents in the know of all the activities at school.

Posted October 17, 2013
Love this school. I put both my boys here because the school was academic oriented. Teachers make sure the kids are independent and disciplined. I would have rated this school with 5 stars only if it had a bigger playground.

Posted October 17, 2013
It's a great school with good teachers and the curriculum is excellent too. Just wish it had a bigger playground.

Posted June 10, 2013
We have been so happy at Class Academy for the last four years. We love the the small class sizes, incredibly dedicated teachers, total inclusion policy, and cheerful well-organized programs. Our two sons, different as could be, both blossomed here in their own particular ways. We are grateful for the school's ability and determination to see the unique strengths of each child, and build on those, instead of trying to make each kid as much like the average as they can. The year-round program is wonderful, and the approach and curriculum is very different over the summer but the kids stay engaged and close to their peers and never drift into a summertime funk. This school might not be the right fit for every family (or every teacher apparently) but it has been great for us and for the many families we know that keep their kids there all the way through.

Class Academy
2730 Northwest Vaughn Street, Portland, OR  97210
Last modified Class Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Class Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 50 reviews.