Centennial Middle School

Public | 7-8 | 964 students

Sweep tile

Posted today

My son has on just transferred to this school in the last 2 weeks . But he says it's great, kids are nice and teachers are good & helpful. We both enjoyed how easy the office made his transfer. Great school Sincerely caring parents.

Posted August 14, 2013

This is bad I don't like it they make the food bad there also kid hit me a lot and some of them even smoke I hate this school

Posted August 28, 2011

I am appalled that there are so many great reviews of this school. Have we let our standards drop that low? I have a step child that is going into 8th grade this year at CMS. This year, they made wellness an elective! They choose between wellness, choir, or band. Since when did learning about how to take care of one's body become an option?! They have no classes for theatre or foreign languages and PE is taken every other month at best! Last year, my step-daughter was asked to give a presentation on a career, particularly one she would like to pursue. She reported that some of the other teachers, not her's, limited the children's options because they didn't feel those careers were attainable (singer, actress, astronaut, etc.). How dare a teacher tell students to lower there standards! I think as parents we need to set the standard higher, even if the teaches won't.

Posted February 10, 2011

As a parent in the district, I couldn't be happier, and my child has been happy with her experience. Although the teachers have a large amount of students per team to manage, they seem to know all about them. I also have seen, from previously working in Centennial, that the teachers and administrators in general work very hard to teach students coming from different backgrounds, academic abilities, and budget issues. They don't complain, they make it work. Centennial stands out, from my experience, in highly qualified teachers, and people who love their job. My husband and I had the choice of placing our children in a private school years ago and chose public instead after doing a walkthrough. We have been highly satisfied.

Posted September 14, 2010

I have nothing but good to say about CMS. The teachers have done way more than what we pay them for..My child has built self esteem, confidence and intelligence from her years of attending schools in this district. To comment on the negative posts, I feel that you get what you give. I have volunteered every field trip my daughter went on, in class and kept in touch with teachers. I don't think we give the people who teach are children enough credit. THANKS SO MUCH FOR DOING WHAT YOU TEACHERS DO! CENTENNIAL SCHOOL DISTRICT IS WONDERFUL!

Posted February 25, 2010

Fun school, Teacher cares about us and remind us to turn in our work. Very Helpful. GO CENTENIALL!!! :D

Posted December 16, 2008

The staff were on top of their game during my 7th and 8th grade years. However I was lucky, and managed to move onto high school right before the overcrowding started to happen. The school building is ages old, and is due for a hefty remodeling.

Posted November 3, 2008

this school is awesome i have not had any complaints from my child its a wondorful school.

Posted March 18, 2008

From the Superintendent down to the Vice Principal the attitude and behavior consist of lies, non-uniform application of the student handbook and policies, discrimination and enforcing laws that don't exist. You will be forced to keep records to keep up with the lies. Find a good researcher to find the facts for you, their version is not the truth

Posted March 7, 2008

Centennial Middle School teachers don't do a quality job of making sure your child does their own work. Which in turns makes the children slide by in school. Their standards need to come up if we want our children to do well in High School or College. The principal needs to vist the teachers rooms and keep them accountable to do a quality job.

Posted November 2, 2006

I have had a daughter go through the experience at CMS and appreciated the effort both the Faculty and Administration gave her while there. I currently have a son at CMS and again find he is sharing in a positive growth and development he will need when he goes into high school and beyond. I have seen him develop teamwork, a better work ethic and a sense of loyalty for CMS. These are all qualities I appreciate seeing in my child. I clearly understand that I need to be involved and my son(as my daughter had found out)needs to learn, you only get from something when you contribute. I would like to thank the staff for the very high standards set and have no reservations stating that Doug Cook and his staff have done an excellent job preparing my children for what they need to know at this stage of life.

Posted August 27, 2006

As the parent of a disabled teen, my access as guaranteed by NClb has been restricted to the entire process. Parents are not welcome in the building except by invitation.

Posted May 4, 2006

i love this place it is very edectional i've learned so much thank you

Posted February 28, 2006

I am a student here and so far I dont like it. The food is horriable. And I dont learn much because classes are over crowed. Being at cms is a nigth mare. We get new kids at least 3 times a month

Posted May 12, 2005

I have to agree with the other poster on this board, at least about the middle school. It was one of the most difficult assignments in my long career. Teaching there seemed more about personalities and who you knew or didn't know, who you pleased or didn't, and God help you if you were too popular or not popular enough. It was tough for me to see good people, new young teachers, submitted to this kind of treatment. I never knew what hit me, and in the end, was glad I moved on. Collegiality and mutual support are essential for creating a learning evironment for kids. I hope the school's changed for the better today.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 23, 2005

I am a former student of this school and was not a very happy child here. The teachers hardly payed attention to their students, most classes were crowded. This school is all about the popularity and contests between teams. A lot of people i knew weren't very pleased either, I was told by a few teachers ' I don't care if you learn as long as I get payed'. To me these teachers can make a positive difference in a child's life but yet they are ruining them! I hope most parents get involved with their children's education and help them because they are going to need it!
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

490 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

491 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Oregon used the Oregon Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (OAKS) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math; in grade 11 in writing; and in grades 5, 8 and 11 in science. The OAKS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oregon. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

497 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

498 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

497 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students48%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 65%N/A51%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

17650 SE Brooklyn St