Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Well first of all this school is for surely going to make your child alot more happy, mostly because its alot of fun there and you dont really learn anything ( depening on what teacher your child has). If you want your child to be happy then most definitely send them here. Now you may be wondering how I know all this, its because I used to go to this school. But I most definitely recommend this school because I have some of my most happiest memories there.

We love Portland Village School. Our son struggled at school; he's very smart and had no problem with academics, but he's on the shy side and we saw at his other schools he got lost in the shuffle as the teacher focused on super high and low performers. We didn't think we'd find a school that met his needs. PVS is our 3rd school, and we've been thrilled with it. We love the educational model which slows things down for students and focuses more on development of the whole student by teaching things like the value of community, and things like handwork, music, and dance that you just don't get at other schools. We've been so utterly amazed at our son's teacher who seems to really understand how to reach him, and a principal who's deeply passionate about the school and works hard to cultivate a community spirit. We love it and can't say enough good things about it. Come join us!

PVS was unable to deal with a bad teacher who could not control the class, was sarcastic and belittling to students. Repeated meetings with the principle, who was out of touch with what was happening, did not help. He chose not to believe the parents rather than check it out himself. In this Waldorf school based on a peaceful philosophy, the kids were clickish and the academic standards low.

Our kids have gone to the Village School since 2011. We've had a very good experience, in terms of super dedicated teachers and staff. There is a warm community feeling, and lots of parent involvement. Drawbacks would be 1) the lack of a green space and dedicated playground (the students have a small play structure adjacent to the parking lot (which is where they have recess) with just a few basketball hoops, and 2) lack of significant ethnic/racial diversity - the school is largely European-American / Caucasian families. Otherwise, there is a full and enriching curriculum, and even electives for the middle school grades.

My son transferred here from another PPS, and we have been very happy with our choice. His teacher is intelligent, creative, and endlessly patient. I love how art, nature, and storytelling are incorporated into all the subjects. The campus is not impressive, but the classrooms are decorated beautifully and feel extremely welcoming.

We are in our second year here and are delighted to be a part of the Portland Village School! I am a mother to three young daughters (-2 of which are presently at the school-), a strong proponent of Waldorf, and an educator. For me personally, the Portland Village School is the perfect synthesis of Waldorf and public education: wonderfully rich and engaging. It is essentially a Waldorf-methods public charter school that offers a wholly arts-integrated curriculum, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese languages to all students, Handwork, Folkdancing, Verse work, real tasks and adventures together, service projects, beautiful seasonal celebrations in the community, a very dedicated staff, a no-media (on school days)-environment, and a looping policy that helps to establish a true sense of community and requires that we all work to be together. Parents have ample opportunity to become involved, as volunteers are constantly buzzing around with meaningful tasks for our children. I look forward to our unfolding here as the school expands and makes its mark on this great city of Portland!!!

I greatly appreciate this approach to education, where the whole health of the children are considered. The intellectual, emotional and physical health are encouraged and supported. I have two children at Portland Village School, my oldest is in his third year at the school. Being with the same teacher from 1st-4th grade and then 5th-8th grade makes their life so much easier with less disruption than if they had a new teacher every year. I love that my children have art as well as Spanish and Mandarin Chinese language lessons. It's also nice to be in an environment where screen time and media exposure are minimized, the students are so creative themselves and it's amazing to see what they come up with when left with their own imaginations and the support of people who truly care for them.

I have to admite that I am one of those parents that is most concerned about the overall happiness of my child at school. I happen to believe that children have an innate curiosity about the way the world works and parents need to foster a love of learning over rigid academics as the only path to knowledge. That said, academically one of my children is advanced, while the other struggles, and both LOVE school. My daughters teacher offered to stay after school several days a week to tutor students, and some students stayed as peer tutors because it was such a warm environment. I agree that ethnic diversity is lacking, and the school admin. are working to promote enrollment from other demographics. On one hand, I want to keep the school a secret so It can stay small a cozy, but I can't keep such a wealth of educational gold to myself.

We LOVE this school. If you want your child to be an independent and creative thinker, value interaction with the natural world, learn to self regulate, focus, and care for others this is a wonderful educational option...along with rich academics as they move into the higher grades. Worldorf curriculum encompasses a broad historical base and classical education beginning with helpers of humanities, the ancient Hebrews, ancient Greece, the Rennaisance etc. It is well worth checking out. Also- in the years we have attended no one has ever tried to tell us where or where not we could attend a birthday party! My kids relate well to ALL types of children within and without of the Waldorf community....in the end kids are kids...and Waldorf certainly allows and encourages children to be children...

The parent reviews sum up this school well. For those that value alternative Waldorf methods and community, no homework, do not mind the no media at school and home policy (no TV, Movies, computers and images on clothing/lunchboxes/backpacks), this is a great school. For those that value academics, discipline, learning about technology, and enabling your child to have things in common with and be comfortable relating to kids outside the small Waldorf community, this is not the school for you. For example of the latter, attending a friend's birthday party at Chuck'E'Cheezes is not in keeping with the School's Waldorf methods. Also, be sure to check the School's report card on the Oregon Department of Education Website. I found the School's performance claims to be inaccurate.

Last modified Portland Village School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.