6-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

This is in response to a post by a community member on December 11, 2015: On behalf of PCS, we are saddened to hear of your difficult experience in the 2000’s. We pray that you’ve been able in recent years to find a community where you feel loved and accepted. A few things have changed at PCS since you were here – we now have a Counseling department as a resource to students who may be struggling with anxiety, depression, or other issues – we’ve found this has indeed filled a great need. As for our teachers and administrators, they are highly qualified, dedicated professionals who truly love and value their students and work hard to help them succeed. We acknowledge that our high academic standards may be a challenge for some students; our free tutoring and learning lab have helped many students succeed in areas where they formerly struggled. Student pregnancy is one situation that would be handled on an individual basis under our Student Conduct Code and is not grounds for automatic dismissal. Thank you for expressing your concerns; we appreciate having an opportunity to respond. Portland Christian offers a positive solution to families seeking an alternative to public education – we’d love for you to come visit us!
October 03, 2016

Bad
Good

Please spare your children from this school. While there were some competent and kind staff, a significant number were neither. The Christian values espoused in Chapels were not demonstrated by long-time teachers nor administrators in big ways. It was depressing. Many classmates sought counseling for anxiety and depression during my time there. Much of it is attributable to the high levels of homework that made it difficult to participate in family life, church, and extracurricular activities. They kicked out pregnant females in my time there, as well. The love of Christ was not something I saw well-lived-out here. I hope it has gotten better since the 2000s when I went to PC. I have to add that PC was was cliquey as well. Many of the students at the JR/SR High went to the elementary school as well. It's great for them that they got this consistency is school relationships. My only wish would be that they show the love of God and be inclusive of the new students.

Portland Christian High School helps students prepare for life and make a difference in life.

Portland Christian has a great combination of academics and extra-curricular activities that surpass even larger and publicly funded schools. They have outstanding arts programs (art, drama and music classes, art club, fall play, spring musical, choir and band) and a wide range of sports (track, football, basketball, volleyball, soccer). They have a great Christian environment that makes it stand out from the rest. Families drive from all over Oregon and Washington because they believe in the difference that PCS makes in overall development of mind, body and spirit.

My two children have attended Portland Christian since early elementary school. What I love most about PC is the people. It also has great college-prep academics, lots of opportunities for kids to get involved in activities, and a solid faith foundation. But it is the smart, caring Christians -- students, families, and staff -- who populate the school that make it really special. What a great place for my kids!

The teachers are fantastic and enhanced my desire to learn simply by caring for me as an individual. The class sizes were perfect. In addition, the academics prepared me for college! Among my peers in higher education, I would consider myself more prepared to meet the expectations of professors.

PART FOUR: As a whole, Portland Christian is an amazing place to be a student. The ability to learn and the positive social interactions make this school a cut above all others. If knowledge, a positive environment and social involvement are things that are important to a parent, Portland Christian is an excellent place to consider for a child's education. The foundation for knowledge and self sufficiency must be instilled in our youth at an early age; when they are still impressionable; still trying to 'find themselves.' It is something they will carry with them their entire lives and PC is an excellent place to encourage those traits.

This school is a horrible school. Do not go there, you will regret it. The teachers are extremely lazy and uneducated and are not willing to help students get the extra help they need. Another big issue with the school is the kids and the administration. The kids there in my experience have been very clicky in the social groups and are very egotistical and self centered. The administration is probably the worst you will ever find, if you wanna talk about dysfunctional and unorganized they are the living example. So if you think you kid would fit in at this school and enjoy the clicky social groups thing then send them here, otherwise you should send your kid somewhere else.

I graduated in 2005 and thoroughly enjoyed my experience attending this school. It changed my life academically and spiritually.

Last modified Portland Christian Jr/Sr High School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12