Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My child is thriving at SWCS! He transferred here from a poor situation of bullying, belittling by a teacher, and no movement opportunities, hands-on learning, or fieldtrips. He was very discouraged and no longer wanted to go to school. Now he gets up early in the morning, and is ready to leave before it's time! The teachers are very caring, engaging and enjoy my son for who he is. They encourage him and do not squelch the curiosity and outside-the-box thinking in which his intellectual brain routinely engages...which does not often fly in mainstream schools. SWCS does a great job utilizing their resources outside of the school, and experiential hands-on learning is the norm. The limited play space is not an issue when Southwest Portland is at their doorstep and routinely explored...the nearby parks, Willamette River, walking path, gallery, street car and MAX. It's been a great fit for my child, and I am so happy to have this opportunity for my son.

My child has been at this school since Kindergarten and is now in 4th grade. We briefly tried another school during 3rd grade, but returned to this wonderful community. Luckily we were able to come back! The charter's place-based model teaches crucial skills for today's world—citizenship, environmental awareness and critical thinking. The students enjoy a small, supportive community where independence and inter-connectedness thrive. If you value these things consider trying to get a spot for your child here. There are currently openings in the middle school grades!

We've been at the school for four years, and my son is thriving. I can't say enough about what a great job the teachers here do. The place based focus makes so much sense. They have art, music, and P.E. every week, and the science scores are some of the best in the State. And it's one of the few schools I've seen that actively promotes direct civic involvement

Very happy with SWCS and the placte-based project focused teaching methodology -- no worksheets here. Playground is small and uninspiring, but creative and energetic teachers use the nearby banks of the Willamette River and greenway, along with Caruthers park to more than make up for the small playground. Plus, the outings support the place-based experiential focus of the school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My son's teachers went way out of the way to provide quality instruction for him. One teacher took a group of students to Salem and Washington DC, much of it on her own time to ensure the highest quality experience for the students.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework was manageable, it of course varies with teachers as in any school. I think the reality of modern learning is there has to be some homework to keep up with the higher expectations of the common core requirements.

Develops character: Strongly agree

SWCS does a great job teaching place based learning and creating caring and compassionate students.

My child attended SWCS for six years and is now in High School I cannot say enough great things about the school. He thrived there. The Teachers and Staff are great. Everyone who works there care so much about providing a quality education and it shows. My son is a smart, caring and compassionate learner and I know that SWCS had a big part in fanning his natural desire to learn. He is now finishing up his Freshman year in H.S. with solid A's. Thanks so much to our SWCS family, a great place for your child.

Awesome caring teachers who are incredibly skilled at bringing place-based learning into a curriculum still beholden to state mandated common core guidelines. My children developed compassion for others who are different from them in many ways. They developed critical thinking and engagement in their community and the world. Their experience here truly shaped them into individuals I not only love but respect.

My child was consistently bullied here. Several meetings with teachers and principal led to no changes. My child would come home in tears on a regular basis. I was consistently told by staff that my child needed to learn to "ignore" and walk away to get the unwanted behavior from others to stop. We tried to work through it and do what we could to avoid and walk away because my child loved the school and the teachers and really wanted to stay at the school. After several months of it though we had to pull our child out and place them in another school. It was the best choice and now my child is thriving and coming home with smiles. It seems the bullying policy here is to blame the victim.

Last modified Southwest Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.