Bad
Good

Creative Science School is truly an amazing place for students. The staff and teachers are intelligent and warm. They deeply care about the students. The parents are very involved. There are no volunteer requirements but parent involvement is an essential piece of why this schools works. The program has been around for 30 years and the curriculum is Piaget/Constructivism. The “science” in the school name comes from implementing the scientific method in the classroom. This is not a science thematic school. Our teachers use the Storyline Method to present constructivist theory in a practical form. Learning is built around units and students work together to hypothesize, test, conclude and report. The school also uses the program MindUp; which nurtures optimism and happiness in the classroom, helps eliminate bullying and aggression, increases empathy and compassion, while resolving peer conflicts. My son loves the peace MindUp brings to his day. Check it out and apply.

Tried to get my kid in here, but unfortunately they never bothered to notify me of my child's enrollment status. I even emailed the principal and called the reception (left a voicemail) but no response. I am really shocked at the impolite lack of concern. Especially since I took the time to go to a 2 hour meeting and fill out forms to try to get my son into this school. Too bad.

This has been a great school. I went to the school over 30 years ago when it was William Clark and I'm so happy my kids get to go not only to the same building I was in, but to an even better school. The variety of non-traditional activities the kids do throughout the day keep kids engaged and interested in learning. The Afterschool Enrichment program has a large variety of options to choose from for art, dance, music, gardening, etc.. The foundation of the school is the parents. There is a very small paid staff, and the rest of the work is done by the PTA and dozens of parent volunteers. We really could not make the school work without the hard work and dedication of the parents. All the parents are passionate about the education their children receive and the results are proven in our consistently high scores. http://www.ode.state.or.us/data/reportcard/reports.aspx The school also has its own website created and maintained by parent volunteers. http://creativescienceschool.org/ The school is very community-driven. We welcome people from all over the world and all walks of life. You can't go wrong with Creative Science!

My child has been at this this school since Kindergarten. We have seen a range of great and not so good years and semesters. Kindergarten and second grade are the golden years at this school...the teachers are warm, very bright, engaged, and give parents insight to things happening in the classroom. The years in-between tended to be questionable to us as parents and each year after K, they seem to add one or two more kids to each class. My child comes home with stories about other kids getting picked on, throwing tantrums, or feeling like they're not getting the help they need and are feeling like they are falling behind. This is very stressful on her. In my opinion, the class size is a bit large and unmanageable at times to really fully engage in an efficient and successful constructivist curriculum. My child is now in 4th grade and the class began in Sept. with 29 kids. This year, it's been a struggle for my child to clearly receive directions and get a full grasp on what is being taught and expected of her. I've really noticed her self-esteem drop, her interest in school go down, and have had to supplement work at home to keep her above water.

CSS is an amazing testimony to what can be done with a strong parent and facilitator community. In a time when most schools in the area are struggling to keep up with financial cuts CSS (a Portland Public School) flourishes. I'm very pleased at our choice to enroll our daughter here. Our daughter started here in Kindergarten and is now in second grade, she's truly enjoy's going to school, which seems to be a rarity these days. If you're thinking about enrolling your child here it's advisable that you are the type of person who likes to be involved with your child's education as you will enjoy a group of dedicated, like-minded parents.

Fantastic school. Committed and tireless parent community, supportive and engaged teachers, and the students are bright and excited to be there. The PTA is involved in every decision - this school is for parents who want a voice in the education of their children My experience has been completely positive (I'll admit it; I'm usually a complainer) and my child is blossoming.The test scores aren't the HIGHEST, but that's a positive for me. I don't want my kid to learn how to test well, or how to regurgitate information that's been spoon-fed into him; I want my child to become a thinker, an inventor, a questioner, a collaborator, and most of all, to become his best self. Creative Science expressly is working toward those goals. Oh, and the school- administration, parents, teachers and children- have been completely supportive of our gay family. Open-minded and appreciative of diversity.

it is a great community of teachers and parents and admin staff. it works hard to help each student learn and excel. it works hard to create a place where we all feel welcome and involved

Last year was our first year here, transitioning from another PPS! The 2nd grade teacher accommodates all levels of learning in her class. Near the beginning of school she made told us 'I'm going to make a reader out of Alex (smiling)' He said he loves doing math & science things, so she put extra attention on helping him improve at reading. This continued through the year and it's amazing how well he now reads! He's a kid who needs structure, rules, expectations and those are definitely in place in class and in the school. Here kids are allowed to be creative in thought, ask questions, learn the subjects as a whole via: books, math, art, etc. Classroom structure is good and there are rules, timelines, but you can feel how the kids enjoy being there! Parents help in the classroom and are welcome to come by anytime.

Last modified Creative Science School is a Public school that serves grades K-8