Bad
Good

Went there for 6 years and I loved every year. I'm sad to hear that the chef left because she would make the best food.

Last week I took my first grade son out of school permanently from Abernathy Elementary. The school appears great from the outside but functions very poorly on the inside. My son was labeled ADHD at the beginning of the year by his teacher because he was messy, had bad handwriting and didn't want to listen to directions and didn't want to sit in his desk. We had him tested and it turns out he is highly gifted and not ADHD at all and the problem is boredom and an apathetic teacher. The principle early on told us that our son couldn't change classes and that we had to deal only with the teacher. The school counselor were fixated on his behavior and wanted to give him fidgets and other devises to "help." Not once were his potential abilities addressed or harnessed. This school has failed up completely from the principle to the teacher to the counselor to the district TAG department. I will never send my son to another Portland public school.

Please, don't send your kids here. It's too crowded and it will just get worse. Stay in YOUR OWN school district! Make YOUR school an excellent school like the parents here have done. ALL public schools should be desirable!

This safe haven takes it all in stride! 2013....YIKES. ..our Principal leaves...our belover chef goes next. Notice: there will be 500 +k-5 .attending this year ...Did someone say overcrowding?..no room for the library? ....is our music program on? What about the gardening program? Well friends.....Each and every challenge was met with sensible answers. The children are thriving...testing is strong. ..teachers dedication is high....they truly teach every child....and everyone in our community benifits. When you want the best for the children....you focus on the positive solutions !

I have been at Abernethy for 12 years as a parent and have nothing but praise for our principal, who most assuredly does not have favorites but does what is best for the whole student body. The teachers that my 4 children have had have been excellent, the level of parental involvement is high, and with so much programming, there is a place for everyone. Working parents ( such as my husband and I) feel very involved in the school and yet are grateful for those parents who may be more involved because the are stay at home parents. Overall a great community in which to raise our kids.

Abernethy is an excellent school overall, with very good teachers and a strong set of programs (Garden of Wonders and Scratch Kitchen) and a supportive parent community. I do not think the negative reviews reflect the academic quality of the school.

This school hasmany problems, especially the administration. There are, and have been, a hand full of ok teachers. The TAG program is a joke and the parents are very clicky---working parents do not have a chance here if you are not 'in' with the quasi vegan-elitists. They are just trying to get through the day and excellence is not a priority. Do not recommend this school.

My son attended Abernethy from kindergarten to fourth grade, and I have to agree with the poor reviewers... As long as you fit the mold and keep your test scores high, you'll do great here!

My daughter has been in Abernethy over the last year. I think it's a very good school. Her curriculum is challenging, the school and classroom are organized, the PTA is heavily involved and supportive, and the princpal provides good, strong, leadership. I am also impressed with the music instruction. Great school, all around.

Last modified Abernethy Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.