Posted September 23, 2014
I have two children in this school and you can see it getting better and better! The teachers who are there and stay are dedicated and loving.

Posted August 20, 2014
We have been at Arleta for the last three years and have loved every minute of it. The teachers and staff are outstanding. They foster a love of community, academics and the arts. They are dedicated and caring. Families in the neighborhood volunteer their time to support this wonderful school. My children have made many friends in the neighborhood through the school. They love attending Arleta!

Posted August 19, 2014
Arleta is our neighborhood school and we love being part of the school community. This year I'll have a 3rd grader and kindergartener. Our 3 years at Arleta have been great and my son's teachers have been excellent. The administration is very approachable and responsive to questions and concerns. There is a great group of talented parents who always help out in the classroom and for special events. My kids have made many friends at Arleta and enjoy visiting their friends in the neighborhood. Great School!

Arleta Elementary School 2

Posted July 07, 2014
Do not send your kids to this school if you want them to get an education. The high rate of turnover from staff- both teachers and the principal- says a lot for the environment at Arleta. I have two kids that attended this school for the 4th/5th and 6th/7th grades, respectively. Both were in the TAG program in their previous school (we moved locally), but Arleta doesn't even have a TAG program. I volunteered weekly in my son's class (at the teacher's request because I questioned why there were no spelling tests in the 3rd grade) and I can see why teachers have given up hope. It seems 25% of the students don't speak English as a first language, the class sizes are enormous (28 3rd graders for one teacher), behavioral issues abound which distracts from a learning environment and consumes much of the teachers time and even the most basic supplies are lacking in the classroom. There are no arts, science, music or sports programs. The "middle school" doesn't adequately prepare them for high school studying or socializing. The only positive thing I can say is the secretarial staff is amazing in the front office. Unfortunately they aren't teaching any classes.

Arleta Elementary School 4

Posted February 24, 2014
Arleta is a K-8. My children will be together at the same location for a while. The neighborhood is up and coming and I feel this school is as well. The caring staff along with more parent involvement make this a gem. Art, technology, a love of reading, and small class sizes are why I do not need to look any further.

Arleta Elementary School 3

Posted September 03, 2010
My daughter has been attending this school since Kindergarten and her K-1 teacher, Mrs.Hurner, was fantastic! However, her 2nd grade class was taught by 2 teachers, a job share if you will. This created a slower response time to the educational needs of individual students, not to mention the horrific math homework that was sent home each week! Even I struggled to comprehend the concept of the assignments and I have a college degree! Many of the students in this class had worse grades at the end of the year then the beginning. The office staff are great caring people, but each year I receive her enrollment information later and later. It is currently 4 days from the start of school and I have received no teacher information nor a supplies list. This school has also had 3 principle changes in the last 3 years which makes progress impossible.

Posted October 20, 2009
I am a huge fan of Arleta! My son has done very well here, and the teachers are great! Lynn Schlom-Fergeson (Principle) did amazing things here at our school. She has since retired and this is the first year w/ the new leader. I hope that things continue on a path to improve.

Posted August 23, 2009
This school has an amazing mixed age learning experience for the younger grades. K-1, 2-3, and 4-5th grades. The students not only engage in mixed age learning but also stay with the same teacher for two years creating a stronger teacher student bond. Along with these great qualities Arleta has also demonstrated test scores that are getting higher with each year. There is an amazing Reading and writing program which is supported by Lewis and Clack college and partners with them to teach the next generation of teachers the methods which have been a success at Arleta. This is a school that has come along way and has maintained Music programs, PE and other amazing activities all while transitioning to a k-8th grade school. This school is an amazing place for children to learn.

Arleta Elementary School 0

Posted March 07, 2009
I am extremely impressed with the level of experience and cohesiveness demonstrated by the teachers and staff. My daughter is in Mrs. Bellavia s kindergarten class where they sing songs every morning, check out books from their classroom lending library , attend music, PE, and library each week, and regularly enjoy enriching field-trips.

Arleta Elementary School 0

Posted February 28, 2008
I like the K-1 structure at this school and love the teachers!

Arleta Elementary School
5109 SE 66th Ave, Portland, OR  97206
Last modified Arleta Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Arleta Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top