Bad
Good

Posted December 28, 2014
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Posted February 12, 2014
I can not say enough nice things about Astor School. The educators are all friendly, the office staff and leadership are always willing to help with even the smallest issues, and there is a great group of involved parents. People are smiling here. I like that. I feel as a parent that we really lucked out getting such a well adjusted group of people coming together to help our young ones grow. I would recommend Astor to any of my friends, and to you too!

Astor Elementary School 1

Posted February 14, 2013
Your children are not safe at this school! There's a violence and bullying problem here and the principle does not protect the children!!!

Posted May 02, 2012
I am pulling my child out of Astor because of a bullying problem. It has gone on for two and a half years now, and I can't wait any longer for it to get better. My child dreads going to school each day. Please note that we have a different principal now in the 2011-12 school year. He is very nice and has a lot of experience, but the bullying among kids continues. I don't think the school has a strong program of anti-bullying education in the elementary grades. My other child is in the middle school and is having a better experience.

Posted April 15, 2010
My daughter was attending one of Portland's charter schools and it was a total nightmare. I felt better about the two days of shadowing and communication prior to my daughter even beginning at Astor than I did in the two years she spent at the other school. These people are responsive, proactive, compassionate and they really love the kids and the school. I couldn't be more excited and my daughter is the happiest she's been in two years.

Astor Elementary School

Posted April 13, 2010
My children grades 4 & 5 just transferred into Astor from a low scoring out of state school. I was concerned about one of my children who was previously in Sped Math at her last school. When registering my kids at Astor, I voiced my concern to the principal about her slipping further behind. I was not prepared for his response. He stated 'no child in Astor gets left behind'... how great is that???!! I left feeling like every child, especially my child's education was important. So far, I love Astor!

Posted January 19, 2010
Astor is an amazing school. The principal is outstanding; he's attentive, involved and intelligent. The teachers seem equally committed. Where the school seems to fall short is in preparing its 5th graders for 6th grade. Astor has a system where the 4th graders keep the same teacher through 5th; this is to provide continuity as they prepare for junior high. That's great, but we're in the 2nd semester and my child has brought home several assignments she already did in the 4th grade. There doesn't seem to have been any bump in the coursework. Her class seems to be coasting along, doing work at the same level they did last year. My daughter has several friends in 6th grade, and these friends and their parents have had real struggles with the demands of 6th grade. 6th grade curriculum isn't too hard; 5th is just not challenging enough.

Posted January 19, 2010
Astor is an amazing school. The principal is attentive, involved and intelligent. The teachers seem equally committed. Where the school seems to fall short is in preparing its 5th graders for 6th grade. Astor has a system where the 4th graders keep the same teacher through 5th; this is to provide continuity as they prepare for junior high. That's great, but we're in the 2nd semester and my child has brought home several assignments she already did in the 4th grade. There doesn't seem to have been any bump in the coursework. Her class seems to be coasting along, doing work at the same level they did last year. My daughter has several friends in 6th grade, and these friends and their parents have had real struggles with the demands of 6th grade. 6th grade isn't too hard; 5th is just not challenging enough. They need to give this area some attention.

Posted January 14, 2010
We sadly moved away from the area and my son no longer attended Astor. However, due to Astor being so amazing, we are moving back so he can attend again. The staff is amazing, the Principal is awesome and the teachers are exceptional!

Posted December 31, 2009
My kids attended Bridger for two years before coming to Astor. This school has made a tremendous difference in their reading, math and behavior. Our kids have become active learners and I credit the good and talented staff at this school for this.

Astor Elementary School
5601 North Yale St, Portland, OR  97203
Last modified Astor Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.