Posted August 17, 2014
We've been at Atkinson for 5 years and it's been a great experience for our son. It's a diverse community and the teacher's are very committed. PPS needs to give all schools better funding and more modern facilities, but I think Atkinson makes the most of what they have to work with. I would highly recommend this school for your child.

Posted February 12, 2014
Both of our children attend Atkinson Elementary school. I was skeptical at first but after a short time have come to love this school. The teachers are amazing and work so hard to empower every single child. The support services such as speech, ESL are amazing. Our children have PE, and music twice a week plus library once a week. In addition our kids get to work in the vegetable garden which is a fantastic experience. Parent involvement is absolutely amazing - we love our school

Posted December 05, 2013
Our son is in 4th grade and our daughter is in 1st - both are in the Spanish dual immersion program. Their teachers are excellent - both are getting lots of science in addition to the reading, writing and math. Our 4th grader has learned a ton about Lewis & Clark this year. They both love the music program and PE. We are so lucky to have full time Music and PE teachers. The new interim principal is providing great leadership and is very responsive and accessible.

Posted December 01, 2013
A great community with wonderful opportunities for kids to participate in several language, garden and after school programs. Great support from parents and the community at large in a diverse and caring setting.

Posted October 27, 2013
A lovely school made even better by Principal Debbie. We were so sad to see her go! Congrats to her on her promotion. I hope the next principal continues with Debbie's great vision for the school. This school has excellent teachers, a great garden, and an awesome PTA.

Posted October 27, 2013
This school has gone through many changes in the last three years, and is stronger than ever. Whole programs have been implemented (in years when funding allows) and a laser focus placed on early and successful interventions with struggling learners. It's paying off! The new core curriculum standards are being well integrated and the children are thriving. Test scores are up, though that is only one measure of success. Overall a nurturing environment with great diversity. The parent community is awesome, too. Tremendous volunteerism, and a PTA that really delivers.

Atkinson Elementary School 4

Posted August 07, 2013
We like Atkinson. The newer teachers and some of the older ones are energized by the new principal and her ways and my kid has been really benefiting from some new teaching approaches. Some grades at Atkinson are overcrowded and I think we are now around the size we're supposed to be. Weird personal reviews aren't going to make the enrolment go up. I don't think test scores are everything and saw one teacher work pretty hard on test taking, but I've been to a coffee where testing was covered and scores are up. Anyway you can check scoring on the PPS site for yourself.

Atkinson Elementary School 1

Posted June 14, 2013
Numbers don't lie. Since 2010 enrollment is DOWN 10% compared to other area schools that are UP 10% on average. Parents and students are leaving in droves. PPS may intervene to stop the bleeding but it is going to take years before the damage is repaired fully.

Atkinson Elementary School 4

Posted April 18, 2013
Tons of involved parents, teachers that care about their students and children that love their school. I am happy with Atkinson for my son's elementary school experience.

Posted September 06, 2012
We've been at Atkinson for a few years now and think its a great school. But change is hard, and I do understand how some parents want to blame the fairly new principal. Our school previously had things in place that were ducking around district policies and they had to be changed, but they felt like big losses to our community. Some changes have required more of the teachers, but there seems to be more support for them, and the school seems to be moving in a very positive direction that helps all the students. I've questioned some decisions, but there is (almost!) always good answers with research and information behind them. Really, most of the pain we've felt has come from district cuts, so we should really blame the weak tax structure that pays for our public schools. Atkinson is doing so many great things with less, but I feel like we need to invest in all our public schools.

Atkinson Elementary School
5800 SE Division St, Portland, OR  97206
Last modified Atkinson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Atkinson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top