Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Beach Elementary School 4

Posted April 16, 2016
This school has some of the best teachers who really care about their students and work so hard to prepare them for life. The school has an amazing, free afterschool program and the the vice principal is really good at relating with the kids and parents. New principal seems good too, though I haven't had as much experience with her. This school will be a K-5 starting in the fall of 2016 and in my opinion, it is a school on the rise. My kids will be going to middle school next year but we appreciated our time at Beach. It's not perfect, but it's the type of school that if your family takes education seriously your child will do well, because the teachers will meet you more than half way.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted April 16, 2016
Some of my responses are based on teachers who are leaving Beach to go to Ockley Green next year, full disclosure. The middle school staff has been great!

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted April 16, 2016
My kids have had particularly good teachers this year in this regard. The vice principal is great!

Posted July 04, 2014
I would not put this at the top of the list for good schools My daughter is constantly getting exposure to swear words fights in the hallways and she has been bullied several times but The teachers are good they care about the kids and they are concerned about the environment the principal of 2013-14 was not encouraging not concerned about the environment she doesn't let the kids have a creative outlet They didn't even have a music class a choir or a band or drama if there was a list of ten good schools I'd put beach on a completely different list (poor schools).

Beach Elementary School 1

Posted September 27, 2013
My daughter is in kindergarten and I like the fact the the staffs are very nice with positive attitude. I don't like the fact that during my meeting with my daughters teacher she mention that the water at this school is dirty and prefer my daughter bring her own water bottle. Which is understandable but if there is something wrong with the water the should try to get that fix. (I think) so here is the other thing that is such a disturbance to me, I don't understand why daughter has to walk herself to class because where my daughters class is located its not gated or Secured. The are ppl out in the field walking and playing with their dog. I just think that if its school open hours no one should be there other than staff and students. And I understand my daughter is not in the Spanish immersion class but why do the non Spanish immersion kindergarten have to walk themselves to class and the Spanish immersion kindergarten students wait in the cafeteria until their teacher arrive to walk together as a group to their class room. I don't understand why the non Spanish immersion teachers do that as well. I'm a mother that looks looking out for her daughters safety.

Posted May 21, 2013
I just would like to say that our relationship with Beach School has been a bitter sweet one. I am glad that next year 12/13 will be my son's last year at this school beacuse he will be in 9th grade. Mr. Breuckman had to have been the best principal for this school. I really miss having him around. He was in tuned with the school, staff, parents and most important the students. Not every child is made for the immersion program at this school and it seems that Rebecca Torres is pushing that this school to become completely bilingual. She is going away with teachers & teacher assistants that have been at Beach school for 15 plus years. My child as well as many others have grown with many of these assistants and they have proved theirselves to be an important part of the Beach community. Many beneficial programs are being canceled for absolutely no reason at all. The Suzuki program was canceled per Rebecca Torres- The parents were very unhappy with this desicion. The PTA has raised $9,000 dolalrs and Beach has purchased computers for the students and the computers are locked in the VP office, For what?? What good are the computers going to be if there not accessible to the kids?

Beach Elementary School 5

Posted May 09, 2011
My son has been in this school since Kindergarten and has done wonderfully. The staff is great and the programs are wonderful. Wish they had more after school programs, larger library and more playground equipment but it is still a great school. I highly recommend this school for all students grades pre-K to 8th.

Posted April 19, 2011
My son started this school as a kindergartener. This was one of the top schools to choose from in this area, but I now realize it is very poor in comparison to schools right across the river in Vancouver, or especially Camas. My son is gifted and my husband and I assumed this school, with all its ratings would be great. Unfortunately, this is not the case. With a very low soceoeconomic status, frusterated and underfunded teachers and a rough population of students, this school would be great if your child has grown up very street smart, but my son is constantly bullied and the teachers or staff has yet to resolve these issues. My son has gone from loving his day care learning program for years to "hating" school and struggling emotionally. We are transfering to the Vancouver or Camas areas as soon as possible so my son can be in a school that has funding, multiple language and arts opportunities, reimbursed teachers along with an educated student population. I am not impressed, as we had researched and had high expectations for this learning environment. Regretfully, Dr. Mom

Beach Elementary School 5

Posted April 19, 2010
New and excellent principal - great immersion program and a suzuki violin program for the community school- dedicated teachers and very high community involvement and catchment rate- it's amazing

Beach Elementary School 3

Posted April 19, 2010
A great immersion program and a very diverse student body

1710 North Humboldt St, Portland, OR  97217
Last modified Beach Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.