Portland, OR

Posted August 24, 2015
My daughter is a 4th generation Capitol Hill student and the school was, and still is as amazing as it was when I was a student. Wonderful staff, PTA, students, and community.

Capitol Hill Elementary School 3

Posted March 02, 2015
This is our first year at Capitol Hill. We read great reviews prior to attending. Our daughter is in first great and unfortunately this has not been the best experience. The class size is 32 per 1 very overwhelmed teacher who seems quite tight and agitated. The curriculum is less than engaging, has little spark that would instill a sense of passion for learning.

Posted January 31, 2014
Our son goes to the kindergarten class in Capitol Hill. We are very happy about the school. He is enjoying it!

Posted October 20, 2013
I love the diversity in this school, both in students and the type of curriculum. There's a great balance of typical reading, writing, math, along with art, active times, and extracurricular options. My daughter gets daily exposure to music, arts and the computer lab, and she just started weekly yoga and Spanish sessions. In addition, the teachers are very qualified and compassionate, always available to talk. I feel great about our choice to send her to Capitol Hill.

Posted October 08, 2013
Capitol Hill is an excellent grade school. Our son is in kindergarten and the teacher is super fabulous. The the kids are motivated and the community is very supportive.

Posted September 23, 2013
Capitol Hill has an amazing level of parent involvement. The PTA accomplishes a lot that the district's budget cuts have left undone. Last year their fundraising upgraded the computer lab and provided tablets for each kid in the upper grades to take advantage of the new bumper crop of tablet-based learning programs that can be purchased for pennies. The PTA had the vision to see what resources kids in the future will need to succeed. However, the administration and especially the teachers have been really impressive! My daughter is on her 3rd year here and has loved each teacher she has, especially her latest who plans in movement and yoga breaks during class to stimulate blood flow and focus in the kids. She has really thrived in this calm and drama-free learning environment where she is able to work directly with her teacher and in small groups, and has always felt like her questions have been answered. She's been to 3 different schools in PPS since starting in Kindergarten, and I can finally say we've hit upon a winner with Capitol Hill.

Posted December 01, 2012
Really a marveous environment for little learners. My three children have starkly different needs, and the school met those needs. Principal was responsive the few times I had a 'crisis' during our ten years there, always took a kid-first approach. Staff is fantastic. Also, kids were well prepared. Oldest is cleaning up in high school, in all advanced courses, littlest has taken to middle school and is a very strong student now as well (school was 'not going to be her thing', she told me). Great prep for an academic career.

Posted September 03, 2012
I just finished 5th grade and it was a great experience the teachers are so kind and understanding most of the kids are really nice. I love Capitol Hill i wish i didn't have to leave!

Posted March 17, 2012
My daught attends the Capital Hill School. I think its success is mostly due to the partcipation and involvment of the parents in school. The parents volunteer in various activities which in turn makes thier involvement an even more positive element in the success of the school. It offers great activities for the students. This is no brainer and has been found by various educators who know that the more parents are involved in thier childrens' education, the more the education is successful. The school in its part has done a good job of getting parents to participate

Posted February 02, 2011
I have two daughters at the this school. Teachers are great, principal is great, and most of all the parents are so involved. I can't say enough good things about Capitol Hill.

Capitol Hill Elementary School
8401 SW 17th Ave, Portland, OR  97219
Last modified Capitol Hill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Capitol Hill Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top