Posted September 09, 2013
What a great school! Especial the Odyssey Program. All my kids in Odyssey. They have great time learning, enjoying friendship with other kids, and participating all the activities. The parents' community and their supports are amazing. Also the teachers ans staffs are awesome.

Posted September 05, 2013
Hayhurst School is a great place....one school with two programs! The blend of support, structure, and relationship makes this a great school! It's a happy, family community!

Posted September 02, 2013
I have two children who currently attend Hayhurst. My older child has attended Hayhurst since he attended kindergarten, he has one final year and will be moving on to middle school. My younger child is starting 2nd grade this year. Both children have thoroughly enjoyed their teachers, and they are very good at what they do and focus on the kids as individuals. The Hayhurst community is very close knit. My younger child required a bit more attention to literacy and his teacher helped identify what help could be applied and what was/is available.

Posted September 01, 2013
2013-2014 school year will be my second year experience with Hayhurst elementary. My family and I live a few blocks away which makes for excellent start and finish to my sons school day since we get the opportunity to walk or bike. The Hayhurst neighborhood has been very warm and inviting and that spills over into the elementary school as well. The staff and parents pull together to make the best of what they have to offer, all done with a smile. The front entrance almost always has the principal greeting the children/ parents before school and after, which has been a nice touch. We have been very pleased with how our son is progressing academically and look forward to a new year of academic discoveries.

Hayhurst Elementary School 4

Posted August 30, 2013
Hayhurst is Great Neighborhood School!! My Son was a Kindergartener last year in Mrs. LeRoy's classroom. He learned to read and write, he made many new friends throughout the school, and he had FUN!! Ms. Froelich is the best principal I have ever encountered - She meets and greets every child, by NAME, every morning, rain or shine as they enter the school. Even with a magnet program on site, every kid is respected and held to a high standard of respect for one another. I am very pleased to live in a large city and find such a wonderful community in my child's school. Hayhurst is Awesome, not unlike it's namesake.

Posted August 30, 2013
We have been so happy with Hayhurst. I have a spirited genius as a student and the teachers have worked to engage him and stimulate him without piling on the "busywork". The principal greets the students and parents everyday. The PTA and administration has done a wonderful job creating a state of the art computer lab, as well as a flagship PE program. This multi-faceted approach has been so beneficial to our student and our family, I am getting a little misty as I write this. Due to cuts in public funding and the massive overhead at the district level, my goal would be to create an environment to get more parents in the classrooms at Hayhurst and throughout the Portland Public School system.

Posted August 30, 2013
Staff is very good, Principal is great and the neighborhood families make this school a hidden gem. Can't wait for my second kid to start Hayhurst this year.

Posted August 29, 2013
Hayhurst Neighborhood Program exceeded my expectations. The teachers in The Neighborhood program are talented. They are experienced and motivated to make a difference. My child entered kindergarten knowing his letters and some phonetics. He ended his kinder year reading at the second grade level!!!! He was so proud of himself ;) And so was I. Additionally, I am grateful to be part of such a sincere and fun parent community. The more I began to volunteer (in the classroom, field trips, or simple shifts for various all school events), the more I became connected with like minded parents. Our kids come first, but we also want to have a good time supporting them in the process. Hayhurst Neighborhood School is exactly that!!!

Hayhurst Elementary School 3

Posted June 04, 2013
Given that Odyssey is a history based focus program, the lack of racial diversity amongst the student body does not reflect the historical reality (both past and present) of a country that embodies the principles of a multicultural society. More effort ought to be made to balance the racial and socio-economic diversity. This will enhance for students both an academic and an experiential component of their learning and growth.

Posted October 07, 2011
My boys attended the Odyssey program. We loved our experience at the school and wished we didn't have to move and leave. The teachers care and the children excel under their direction. Children have a great ability if you give them a chance to prove it.

Hayhurst Elementary School
5037 SW Iowa St, Portland, OR  97221
Last modified Hayhurst Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hayhurst Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top