Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Amount of homework: Agree

I feel this school gives an ordinary amount of homework. Then again, I feel that most public schools in this area don't give near enough homework.

Develops character: Neutral

I would say that it develops a form of integrity, but I have seen too many situations where honesty and fairness fall by the wayside, all in the name of the "team". If there are issues with the team captain or co-captain, some strides are taken to assist the situation, but the captains are rarely (if ever) removed from their positions if problems can't be resolved.

I have three children who have attended the Odyssey program with very mixed feelings. We kept them in the program because we saw their ability to digest written information grow by leaps and bounds. While they still lack spelling abilities that should be ingrained in them by this point, they can read material and write a very informed, highly intelligent discourse on practically any subject. Their math and science skills coming out of the program were less than satisfactory, in my opinion, but the two oldest are doing well in high school, when they apply themselves. We had several issues with the team concept and they were never really resolved, my children just managed to turn in enough work to pass the class, but were extraordinarily unhappy and frustrated for most of the year when those problems were occurring. The staff was not very open to any attempts at correcting the situations, other than placing my children on independent study. We also had some severe problems with the founder of the program, who is currently a volunteer, and as such, is not subject to any sort of discipline. I have such mixed feelings about the program that I can't say that I really recommend it, but seeing how accomplished my high schoolers are, I can't really not recommend it either. I guess I'll have to wait and see how my youngest does as we transfer to another school district.

The Odyssey Program is THE BEST THANK YOU IT IS SO HECKING RAD I LOVE THIS PLACE and who writes those lame reviews are just middle schoolers who are mad at the world. 678 is the best middle school ever!!!! Highly recommend the Odyssey Program.

I go to the odyssey program and i am in 8th grade and lemme just say that the agendas are pointless. you do NOT get any say in your team and the captains do all the work and leave you to rot in the dust when test time comes. brings to much stress home with work and writing focuses and the constant essays

What a great school! Especial the Odyssey Program. All my kids in Odyssey. They have great time learning, enjoying friendship with other kids, and participating all the activities. The parents' community and their supports are amazing. Also the teachers ans staffs are awesome.

Hayhurst School is a great place....one school with two programs! The blend of support, structure, and relationship makes this a great school! It's a happy, family community!

I have two children who currently attend Hayhurst. My older child has attended Hayhurst since he attended kindergarten, he has one final year and will be moving on to middle school. My younger child is starting 2nd grade this year. Both children have thoroughly enjoyed their teachers, and they are very good at what they do and focus on the kids as individuals. The Hayhurst community is very close knit. My younger child required a bit more attention to literacy and his teacher helped identify what help could be applied and what was/is available.

2013-2014 school year will be my second year experience with Hayhurst elementary. My family and I live a few blocks away which makes for excellent start and finish to my sons school day since we get the opportunity to walk or bike. The Hayhurst neighborhood has been very warm and inviting and that spills over into the elementary school as well. The staff and parents pull together to make the best of what they have to offer, all done with a smile. The front entrance almost always has the principal greeting the children/ parents before school and after, which has been a nice touch. We have been very pleased with how our son is progressing academically and look forward to a new year of academic discoveries.

Hayhurst is Great Neighborhood School!! My Son was a Kindergartener last year in Mrs. LeRoy's classroom. He learned to read and write, he made many new friends throughout the school, and he had FUN!! Ms. Froelich is the best principal I have ever encountered - She meets and greets every child, by NAME, every morning, rain or shine as they enter the school. Even with a magnet program on site, every kid is respected and held to a high standard of respect for one another. I am very pleased to live in a large city and find such a wonderful community in my child's school. Hayhurst is Awesome, not unlike it's namesake.

Last modified Hayhurst Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.