Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Bulling is insane. I just read 22othet reviews on the bulling issues there. My student has had issues with this. She has had a roughtl time with family passing and to be at this school makes it even harder. I will he transferring her. Thank you for all your reviews it help me enormously. You saved my daughter. The school advocate should review his prejudgement on students as well

I've been a student at Hosford for almost 3 years now. Unfortunately, a lot of bullying happens, and staff don't make it a priority to stop it. With that being said, the school does have its advantages. The school offers a decent amount of unique electives and after school classes. Hosford has a good, but not great education. I personally found that as you got into 7th and especially 8th grade, you got more experienced teachers that had better control of their students. The biggest issue about the school is how it deals with discipline. This is not really the school's fault, it's the district's, but it still reflects very negatively on the school. Apparently the district told Hosford to limit the amount of disciplinary referrals it gave, because, "it didn't look good on the records." Now, kids can get away with almost anything. They may get talked to, but chances are they won't get a referral. This issue happened mostly in 6th grade, but got better over time. This is because the students became more laid back, and teachers were more experienced as I mentioned earlier. I would personally not recommend the school to sensitive kids due to the bullying and disciplinary issues.

I pulled my son out of Hosford after 4 months. I don't think it's completely the schools fault for being so beyond terrible, I believe a lot has to do with the massive growth of Portland and that the school hasn't been able to catch up. Overall I found the bulling and the complacency by the adults to be the most upsetting. If your child is empathetic or sensitive stay as far away from this school as possible. I will not be having my younger child go there and feel like a sucker for buying a house in this school district. Do yourself a favor and avoid the tears and frustration and find a different school or homeschool from the start. I wish I would have. We all can remember that moment someone told us we were not good enough or special but wouldn't it be nice to avoid that and have a self-esteem that wasn't messed with at 11? Also don't find comfort in all the anti bulling signs and stickers. I think they are required to put those up after every 500 cases. If it's so in your face someone or someplace is against something you have to think it maybe because its such a problem. Because bullying and Hosford go hand in hand.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Many of the teachers try to be innovative, but because they don't explain it very well, many students simply don't do it. Also, many of them have a bad habit of assigning too much in a small time frame.

Develops character: Disagree

They have a GSA and safe spots for POC, but no one puts effort into it, and people only use it as a way to be even more offensive. People here tend to lie and they're very segregated.

If you don't want to be bullied at this school, make you're not black, hispanic, native, or asian. Cause it's pretty obvious many of the students hate our guts. Not only that, homophobia and transphobia run rampant. Students here are very violent, they're willing to get into fights with teachers and each other. Everyone here doesn't seem to care about education, and I wouldn't blame them, everything about this school is low budget. The only students who seem to have their grades together are the Mandarin Immersion, they tend to be nicer and well educated compared to everyone else.

I have never really felt like Ive belonged in the hosford community, (Im a student there) Because all the bad behavior. (Im asian and a christian) With all the racial slurs, Ive been bullied a lot at this school. The only reason I actually WANT to come to school is to get my education and see my friends. It seems the teachers dont really care and always are on the bullies side. (For example, when I was in my PE class, a 8th grader started pushing people and calling them names, and it seemed the pe teacher didnt do anything about it) It sucks this school has to be this way.

Hosford is a very diverse school both racially and economically. There are a great variety of electives that students can take including computer tech, Spanish and Mandarin, ceramics, art and drama and there is an amazing after school program that allows kids to explore a variety of other activities including running, yoga, speech and debate, model UN, Jewelry making, and knitting, among others. I have two children who graduated from there and were well-prepared for the rigors of our neighborhood high school's International Baccalaureate program at Cleveland. I have a child there now. None of my children ever saw any bullying. Some teachers are better than others-I think our most recent principal has worked hard to hire good teachers and there is a young energy amongst the faculty. Downside is that the only class in which there is leveling is Math--they used to have leveling in language arts as well. Another downside is that since there is no longer school choice in Portland, some families feel that they are "stuck" at Hosford and may not be able to see the many positives it has to offer their children.

Many kids there are very violent and we have had students punch teachers, and punch other students! Don't send your child here!

If you can avoid going to Hosford, do. Teachers are apathetic about student achievement. PPS sends students with discipline problems from all over the city there. My son was bullied horribly and the teachers and administration ignored it. You only have to visit once to see it's not working

Last modified Hosford Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.