Portland, OR

Posted May 07, 2015
I have never really felt like Ive belonged in the hosford community, (Im a student there) Because all the bad behavior. (Im asian and a christian) With all the racial slurs, Ive been bullied a lot at this school. The only reason I actually WANT to come to school is to get my education and see my friends. It seems the teachers dont really care and always are on the bullies side. (For example, when I was in my PE class, a 8th grader started pushing people and calling them names, and it seemed the pe teacher didnt do anything about it) It sucks this school has to be this way.

Hosford Middle School 4

Posted February 14, 2015
Hosford is a very diverse school both racially and economically. There are a great variety of electives that students can take including computer tech, Spanish and Mandarin, ceramics, art and drama and there is an amazing after school program that allows kids to explore a variety of other activities including running, yoga, speech and debate, model UN, Jewelry making, and knitting, among others. I have two children who graduated from there and were well-prepared for the rigors of our neighborhood high school's International Baccalaureate program at Cleveland. I have a child there now. None of my children ever saw any bullying. Some teachers are better than others-I think our most recent principal has worked hard to hire good teachers and there is a young energy amongst the faculty. Downside is that the only class in which there is leveling is Math--they used to have leveling in language arts as well. Another downside is that since there is no longer school choice in Portland, some families feel that they are "stuck" at Hosford and may not be able to see the many positives it has to offer their children.

Posted June 06, 2014
Many kids there are very violent and we have had students punch teachers, and punch other students! Don't send your child here!

Posted May 11, 2014
If you can avoid going to Hosford, do. Teachers are apathetic about student achievement. PPS sends students with discipline problems from all over the city there. My son was bullied horribly and the teachers and administration ignored it. You only have to visit once to see it's not working

Posted February 18, 2014
Hosford is a horrible school! Half the school is failing and will fail in life!!! From what I have seen the mandarin immersion student are the one only successful ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would not recommend coming if you are a person of color!

Posted August 10, 2011
I was a student at Hosford; and it prepared me greatly for Cleveland high school. I have always had a very unique way of viewing education (in that if I could choose, I wouldn't go to school at all because I would be far better able to grow and learn on my own.) However, Hosford was a great place with many super-qualified teachers on hand. For example, Mr. Zakoura is perhaps the most intelligent person I know. He could and should be teaching a college class at Stanford or Berkley, but he chooses to be at Hosford because of the great environment and the schools goals of providing every child great education. It is easy to achieve excellence when a school only has middle to upper class white students attending (*cough cough*); but Hosford provides the opportunity to achieve excellence to everybody, no matter how much their family makes, the color of their skin, or the circumstances in which they grew up. Hosford truly amazes me, and for I person who detests school, Hosford was a wonderful place to learn. -Griffin Gonzales, class of 2010.

Hosford Middle School 2

Posted February 23, 2011
The students are rude, disrespectful, and out of control. Teachers don't do much about it anyway. When you're walking in the hallway to get to class, it's like a jungle. People are yelling and slamming others into lockers, profanities are being tossed back and forth. As far as I see it, you wouldn't want to go here.

Posted June 05, 2009
This is one of the most welcoming schools I have ever been at, and I've been to many. The teachers and staff are all supportive. I love how people like the librarians and office workers learn everyone's names, even thought they rarely see them!

Posted November 11, 2008
I myself am a student at hosford its the best school ever!

Hosford Middle School

Posted July 18, 2008
Hosford Middle School is an Amazing school. I recommend going. The Teachers were extremely nice, and were always on task and doing their job. They know how to make learning fun. The School was safe. well just for more info go to their web-sight.

Hosford Middle School
2303 SE 28th Place, Portland, OR  97214
Last modified Hosford Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hosford Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top