Bad
Good

Irvington is a refreshing change. The principal and teachers are innovative and great with students. We drive from Laurelhurst (we live within 2 blocks) to take our son to Irvington. Well worth it!

We LOVE Irvington school. I have a kindergartener at Irvington and he loves it. The families and staff are very committed to this excellent school.

Irvington is such a wonderful school! It is staffed by people who REALLY care about the students and the community it serves. As a parent, I have found the principal and teachers to be very responsive to the needs of my children, one of whom has special needs. Over the past year, both of my children have made significant progress with the help and support of staff. I'm happy to say that both of my kids are well-adjusted and LOVE learning as a result of their experiences at Irvington. At the end of the day, that's what really matters to me.

I'm afraid I have to agree that Irvington is mediocre... with 'issuez'. My daughter went there for two years before we finally pulled her out for another PPS school. The difference was night and day. Academically, she was behind the average kids at the new school despite being in the 'advanced' math class at Irvington. Socially, the school has some problems particular to the neighborhood and the community that really detract from making it a good learning environment. While the parents are really involved, there is no push for more well-rounded curricula in the lower grades. The onus is on the parent to supplement with after-school classes, which were quite pricey there compared to the new school. As for 'issuez': if you are into the IDEA of a community school and into the idea that you are creating a sesame street style world by regentrifying and pushing out established inner-city neighborhoods, you will love Irvington. If you are interested in your child receiving a quality education relevant to the demands of the future and unencumbered by drama (like fights and smoking on school grounds, yearly racist graffiti, dog poop in the playground), you really should look elsewhere.

Irvington is a wonderful school, full of diversity, a strong, caring staff, and supportive parents. The new principal is making changes that everyone is excited about.

Both of my children attended Irvington. Although I was a great supporter of the school in the early grades, can now look back and see the school for the mediocrity that it is. The school did not serve my children well, the quality of the teachers average to poor. There were some bright spots... but this school is below average in my mind. If your children have any gifts, talents, there are no (real) programs in place to really nurture these... the TAG program is a joke. I recommend you interview the teachers, look at the class sizes, the quality of the afterschool programs and decide for yourself.

Irvington has proved to a Great School for my daughter as she moves on the Middle School! GO IRVINGTON!!!!!!!!!

Save a few teachers, this school is a disaster and does not live up to the over-inflated reputation. This is my daughter's second year there and I'm afraid it will be her last. I just can't express how disappointed I am in this school.

Irvington is not just a school, it is a family of parents, students and educators all striving for growth and community involvement.

All five of my children attend Irvington and I Love the culture but I don't think the children are prepared for future learning. I have a child that is went to Irvington and then to middle school before the k-8 transition and she was Not prepared for Middle school. I also have three other children and I hope that they get what they need...I am thinking about sending them to a private school but financial obligations is going to be difficult.

Last modified Irvington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.