Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

A great community school. Lots of community involvement and quality teachers. The score listed here is really unfortunate and not at all reflective of the school.

The year started out great. Then the bullying started. It quickly progressed to an act of physical violence against my child. We were told that the school would help our child recover from the assault and of course, that was a lie. The problem is not just JJE, it's the attitude of the entire school district to ignore issues. The latest offense is that now all doors are locked (even the main door) so you have to call ahead to be let in. One last piece of advice, don't take Principal Sam Ragaisis at her word. She will spin a situation to best reflect her and take zero responsibility, especially for keeping JJE students safe from the actions of thier peers. My family continues to mitigate the psychological damage done to our child at James John Elementary. The community support for the school is wonderful. The building is historic and lovely. They have solar panels, it's been earthquake retrofitted and have an emphasis on being green.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers at James John Elementary are some of the most dedicated and hardworking teachers I have encountered. They are gems and deserve so much more than we give them. My student's teacher made a terrible school experience tolerable. I wish we could take the teachers with us when we left.

My school is James John. Our school has teachers that care and are constantly working together to not only help each other but also to work closely with the students. The school has art, music, pe and a full time librarian. We also have a wonderful after school sun program. I have had students attending this school for about 12 years. Yes they have moved on to high school and others have moved in. It just keeps getting better and better.

My son has been going to this school for three years and has had a wonderful experience. The programs they have are great for the kids and helps the parents. The teachers are great and want to help the kids learn a lot of things in a school year.

Dear Parent who posted June 15th, Thank you for posting a very thought provoking question. I have taught at James John for the past 12 years. I was shocked when I saw that our school receives a 1 out of 10. I contacted Great Schools and their response was that these scores are solely based on all State Test Scores from all schools in the state of Oregon. Like you, I am still confused at the "1" score. It's very large and visible on the school page and serves as a searing brand that scares many of our great families away from their local school. I can tell you that (regardless what a company in Southern California thinks) our kids are not a 1 out of 10 and our teachers are not a 1 out of 10. Please visit our school anytime or our facebook page or myteachermrleach.blogspot.com and find out what's really happening at James John School. It's a great place to grow! -Sam Leach

This school has a high community rating yet the lowest score possible. Any idea why? I'm interested in sending my child to one of our local elementary schools, all of which have very low Great Schools Ratings. I'm a bit skeptical of the rating system because it seems fairly obvious that the schools in affluent Portland neighborhoods have the highest scores and neighborhoods with lower property tax values and a multilingual population score low. Could it be that some schools develop their curriculum specifically to score high on standardized tests? I'd love for a teacher to respond. I mean, how does an elementary school get a 1? Is this best explained by language barriers? Hoping this comment will start a conversation.

We transferred into this school 1 1/2 years ago. It has been wonderful to watch my son go from a child with low self esteem regarding school to a boy who might soon admit he likes school.. the teachers have been supportive, caring and nurturing. Great teamwork!

We've only been at James John one year so far, but my son adores his teacher and we plan to continue. The free breakfast program, after-school SUN classes, new astroturf soccer field, speech therapist on site... lots of great services here. It feels like it's getting better and better with more community involvement.

James John is a wonderful school and a huge asset to the community. The teachers are all extremely dedicated and their positive energy makes the school a great place for learning and growing. We chose James John for our children because it was our local public school and we wanted our children to have a diverse and local schooling experience. The sense of community around this school is awesome from gardening projects, bbqs, festivals, etc. The teachers and parents come together to make this an excellent choice for anyone in the neighborhood. If you are thinking about sending your child to school at James John, go meet Principal Shelby, go meet the teachers, go meet the PTA members, and walk the halls - you won't regret it!

Last modified James John Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.