Posted August 02, 2014
Our community has really rallied around the schools. James John is great little neighborhood school full of exceptional teachers and staff.

Posted September 23, 2013
My school is James John. Our school has teachers that care and are constantly working together to not only help each other but also to work closely with the students. The school has art, music, pe and a full time librarian. We also have a wonderful after school sun program. I have had students attending this school for about 12 years. Yes they have moved on to high school and others have moved in. It just keeps getting better and better.

Posted September 10, 2013
My son has been going to this school for three years and has had a wonderful experience. The programs they have are great for the kids and helps the parents. The teachers are great and want to help the kids learn a lot of things in a school year.

Posted June 17, 2013
Dear Parent who posted June 15th, Thank you for posting a very thought provoking question. I have taught at James John for the past 12 years. I was shocked when I saw that our school receives a 1 out of 10. I contacted Great Schools and their response was that these scores are solely based on all State Test Scores from all schools in the state of Oregon. Like you, I am still confused at the "1" score. It's very large and visible on the school page and serves as a searing brand that scares many of our great families away from their local school. I can tell you that (regardless what a company in Southern California thinks) our kids are not a 1 out of 10 and our teachers are not a 1 out of 10. Please visit our school anytime or our facebook page or myteachermrleach.blogspot.com and find out what's really happening at James John School. It's a great place to grow! -Sam Leach

Posted June 15, 2013
This school has a high community rating yet the lowest score possible. Any idea why? I'm interested in sending my child to one of our local elementary schools, all of which have very low Great Schools Ratings. I'm a bit skeptical of the rating system because it seems fairly obvious that the schools in affluent Portland neighborhoods have the highest scores and neighborhoods with lower property tax values and a multilingual population score low. Could it be that some schools develop their curriculum specifically to score high on standardized tests? I'd love for a teacher to respond. I mean, how does an elementary school get a 1? Is this best explained by language barriers? Hoping this comment will start a conversation.

Posted January 28, 2013
We transferred into this school 1 1/2 years ago. It has been wonderful to watch my son go from a child with low self esteem regarding school to a boy who might soon admit he likes school.. the teachers have been supportive, caring and nurturing. Great teamwork!

Posted April 16, 2012
We've only been at James John one year so far, but my son adores his teacher and we plan to continue. The free breakfast program, after-school SUN classes, new astroturf soccer field, speech therapist on site... lots of great services here. It feels like it's getting better and better with more community involvement.

Posted April 06, 2012
James John is a wonderful school and a huge asset to the community. The teachers are all extremely dedicated and their positive energy makes the school a great place for learning and growing. We chose James John for our children because it was our local public school and we wanted our children to have a diverse and local schooling experience. The sense of community around this school is awesome from gardening projects, bbqs, festivals, etc. The teachers and parents come together to make this an excellent choice for anyone in the neighborhood. If you are thinking about sending your child to school at James John, go meet Principal Shelby, go meet the teachers, go meet the PTA members, and walk the halls - you won't regret it!

Posted April 04, 2012
Very happy with this school! The teachers really care about all the kids, no matter the level. The principal is invested in the school and wants the best for everyone. Even the kids have a lot of respect for each other and there are no bullying issues that I have heard of. They have an established program for the older grades to help the younger ones learn to read. It helps both with reading and establishes strong caring bonds between the grades. I have seen evidence many times. It's a great environment!

Posted April 04, 2012
I love this school. I went there and can tell you that this school has really grown and developed since i was a kid.

James John Elementary School
7439 North Charleston Ave, Portland, OR  97203
Last modified James John Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James John Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top