Bad
Good

Posted January 25, 2015
When our daughter was a baby we started becoming involved, playing at the park, talking to some teachers and parents, attending PTA meetings and school events. We really got a feel for the school. After gathering all this 'insider' info we took the leap and decided to enroll her, and she has excelled and thrived more each year. We trust in the school's leadership, I have always been able to communicate openly about any concerns, and they have all addressed my concerns and been onboard with hearing ideas. This year, to be honest, I have had no concerns. her teachers are incredibly talented, classroom size is small, rich diversity which we greatly value, and strong academics as well as arts integration, World IB Curriculum (Spanish language focus), a Chinese Immersion Program. The school has strengthened partnerships with Portland Playhouse, Right Brain Initiative, American Music Program, Art-a-La-Carte, VIBE, PSU, Portland Art Museum. Afterschool class options such as Spanish, Baile Folklorico, Yoga, Art, Chess Club, African Dance and Drumming. Middle schoolers started a Jazz Band. Really excited to see our neighborhood school, kids and families thriving.

Posted January 25, 2015
2nd year at King and my daughters love the Chinese immersion Program! I have a Kindergarten and 1st grade child in the program and they favor the Mandarin class over English. Very impressed with the selection of teachers and the variety that the program has to offer. My girls are writing characters, speaking, singing, and taking lessons from the teacher, all in Chinese and it's absolutely brilliant!

King Elementary School 1

Posted July 17, 2014
My daughter has really struggled with bullying at King School. The middle school kids are really rough, and mean. Girls have fistfights in the halls. Teachers are teaching classes that they're not certified to teach, and admin is a mess. I can't recommend it.

King Elementary School 4

Posted September 27, 2011
I am glad that King School is my neighborhood school. My son comes home and says: "I loooove I.B.!" He is referring to his units that are part of the International Baccalaureate program. With the adoption of this interdisciplinary curriculum and vigorous differentiation to meet every child at his or her at his level of ability, King is making major strides. I most definitely am a parent and a regular participant as a PTA member, so I am mystified by the comment by the parent of the sixth grader. She says she attended a parent meeting but her concerns were never raised in a PTA meeting. If a problem like she describes were to come to us as a parent community, we would have worked alongside her to get them resolved--whatever it took.

King Elementary School 1

Posted June 06, 2011
I don't normally post reviews but it is clear that the other 2 reviews were not posted by parents. My oldest attended King for 1/2 of his 6th grade. At first I was excited that the teacher/student ratio was low but there was a reason. The teachers spent 50% of the time keeping the students inline and the other 50% trying to conduct learning. They have failed to meet state guidelines every year. My son who used to love school now hates it. I fought long and hard to get him into another school. He was bullied constantly and learned nothing while there. I was at the school weekly dealing with threats placed upon my child. I attended Parent meeting, met with the principal and wrote countless letters to the superintendent. I am now faced with my youngest entering into school and the district has denied her transfers and has placed her in King. I will not do this again. If you wish for a great education for your child...it is not here.

Posted January 30, 2009
King school seems like the best kept secret in Portland. The student teacher ratio is low, teachers are energetic and committed, and it's soon to have an IB program! The test scores are not reflective of the positve energy and collaborative atmosphere of King. My son loves it and so do I.

Posted April 19, 2007
king has the most awesome choir class. they provide you with the greatest teachers. anything you can ask for in a school king has it all.

King Elementary School
4906 NE 6th Ave, Portland, OR  97211
Last modified King Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.