Posted August 22, 2013
Lewis Elementary has a wonderful and caring community of teachers, support staff and families that combine to make it a great school. The family involvement is one of the best I have been apart of. The school's learning garden is excellent.

Posted January 27, 2013
I am critical by nature and I am impressed with this school. Music and computers classes inspite of budget limitations.... Our daughter's teacher this year has a blog and uses multi media in a variety of creative ways. A tech savvy, forward thinking, idealistic teacher. How refreshing. A principal who is at every event and knows students by name and goes after grants to keep these extra perks available...wow... We are a politically conservative family and may not fit the Portland mold but I have not felt discriminated against inspite of our 'diversity'. Thank you for this. We are 3 years in and I would recommend it as an excellent public school option. We are very thankful they added more students so our daughter gets to attend this great school. I just wish it went through 8th grade...

Posted February 03, 2011
It is a very good school. As others mentioned, while there are many great teachers, some aren't so hot. Also, it is bursting at its seams with students and teachers are feeling the strain of large class sizes (even converted the small teachers lounge to a classroom).

Posted April 13, 2010
Lewis is a school full of community! We have incredibly valuable programs in environmental education & the arts. Everyone pulls together for events. We are doing things like getting rid of anything we can to reduce our waste (no more straws, reusing milk cartons for seed starting, washable trays have replaced disposable as well as flatware... We have a fantastically personable principal, Tim Lauer, who truly listens to the community.

Lewis Elementary School 3

Posted August 04, 2008

Posted October 01, 2007
My daughter's uncle went here when we were younger and I always said this was the school my children would attend. With no regrets we moved counties so my daughter could go to Lewis. This is our third year with Lewis and I am amazed more and more every year. The staff, teachers, Mr. Lauer, parent involvement. Yea there are a few bad apples, but they are far from commen here.

Posted August 01, 2007
My child has been at Lewis for 4 years. Overall it has been a great school, largely because of the untiring efforts of Principal Lauer. Like any school, the teaching staff has a mixed bag. There is ALWAYS the good, bad and the ugly. We've found many fabulous things going on in the garden, camps, community art show, summerfest, talent show, chess club, bike safety class, cooking class, farm field trips... This is probably one of the better elementary PPS, despite it's unassuming exterior facade.

Posted May 02, 2007
This is wonderul school full of arts and music as well as the three 'r''s. Parental involement is awesome and teachers are top quality. My little girl loves school!

Posted February 19, 2004
Lewis Elementary offers all the marvelous qualities you would expect from a small school as well as an abundance of impressive extras: chess, garden club, band, drama, science, art, the Outdoor Center, the Kindergarten Co-op, and seasonal festivals, to name a few. Step inside Lewis and you'll get a hint as to the wonders of the classroom. The ever-changing artwork displayed in the hallways is inspirational for students as well as families. The teachers are a very dedicated group of professionals that provide leadership beyond the classroom. You couldn't find a more supportive and friendly staff. Volunteers are a vital part of the school's success. At Lewis, we appreciate each other's strengths. My two children are thriving in this environment.

Posted February 06, 2004
I went to Lewis as a child when it was 1st - 6th grade and loved it. I have twin boys who have been at Lewis since kindergarten. They are in the fifth grade now and we are sad to leave this school. Lewis staff does a great job of teaching the whole child. The arts and music are amazing! Parents and the surrounding neighbors are a tremendous help in the 'extras' that make Lewis special. If you are looking for a school that is going to encourage your child to do their personal best; Lewis can, and will.

Lewis Elementary School
4401 SE Evergreen St, Portland, OR  97206
Last modified Lewis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lewis Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top