Bad
Good

I have a current first grader, and will have an incoming Kindergartner in the fall. We have been extremely happy with Lewis over the last two years, the principal Tim L. is very involved and hands on, and our teacher experiences have been great. We have had 20 students or less both years, which is very important to me. Its a diverse community - and even more importantly, a friendly one. Parents chat in the halls and after school. I feel lucky to be here!

Lewis Elementary has a wonderful and caring community of teachers, support staff and families that combine to make it a great school. The family involvement is one of the best I have been apart of. The school's learning garden is excellent.

I am critical by nature and I am impressed with this school. Music and computers classes inspite of budget limitations.... Our daughter's teacher this year has a blog and uses multi media in a variety of creative ways. A tech savvy, forward thinking, idealistic teacher. How refreshing. A principal who is at every event and knows students by name and goes after grants to keep these extra perks available...wow... We are a politically conservative family and may not fit the Portland mold but I have not felt discriminated against inspite of our 'diversity'. Thank you for this. We are 3 years in and I would recommend it as an excellent public school option. We are very thankful they added more students so our daughter gets to attend this great school. I just wish it went through 8th grade...

It is a very good school. As others mentioned, while there are many great teachers, some aren't so hot. Also, it is bursting at its seams with students and teachers are feeling the strain of large class sizes (even converted the small teachers lounge to a classroom).

Lewis is a school full of community! We have incredibly valuable programs in environmental education & the arts. Everyone pulls together for events. We are doing things like getting rid of anything we can to reduce our waste (no more straws, reusing milk cartons for seed starting, washable trays have replaced disposable as well as flatware... We have a fantastically personable principal, Tim Lauer, who truly listens to the community.

My daughter's uncle went here when we were younger and I always said this was the school my children would attend. With no regrets we moved counties so my daughter could go to Lewis. This is our third year with Lewis and I am amazed more and more every year. The staff, teachers, Mr. Lauer, parent involvement. Yea there are a few bad apples, but they are far from commen here.

My child has been at Lewis for 4 years. Overall it has been a great school, largely because of the untiring efforts of Principal Lauer. Like any school, the teaching staff has a mixed bag. There is ALWAYS the good, bad and the ugly. We've found many fabulous things going on in the garden, camps, community art show, summerfest, talent show, chess club, bike safety class, cooking class, farm field trips... This is probably one of the better elementary PPS, despite it's unassuming exterior facade.

This is wonderul school full of arts and music as well as the three 'r''s. Parental involement is awesome and teachers are top quality. My little girl loves school!

Last modified Lewis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.