Bad
Good

Llewellyn has strong parent involvement, which allows for a lot of great activities. Many of the teachers go to conferences and are always coming up with new ways to teach the children. The new principal is energetic and involved. My kids really enjoy this school, and I feel good about taking them there everyday

The first grade classes at Llewellyn have 29-31 students in them. The 2-5th grade classes are sitting at around 23-24 students per teacher. I don't know where this website gets it's numbers from but they are incorrect. I could only dream that my child would be in a class with only 19 other classmates. Her kindergarten class wasn't even that small. That being said, her teachers have for the most part been great. She loves the music teacher a lot. The new principal seems to have a plan for reducing class size though I'm not sure it will happen fast enough to affect the classes my child comes up in. He seems to care about music education and the arts as well.

Over the last several years, Llewellyn has become an overcrowded school; the number of kids is about 550. (This website stated it was 374.)This has creating problems in many areas, such as large class sizes, short lunches (which can leave kids underfed), and too little space for the growing enrollment. Llewellyn even has temporary classrooms outside of the building to accommodate 3 or 4 classes of children. Most of the teachers are wonderful, but there are a couple of teachers with temperment problems who continue to stay. The parent involvement is absolutely wonderful. The biggest obstacle this school has will continue to be overcrowding in 2012/2013 and the years to come. Mr Powell has been a great principal, but is retiring at the end of this year.

We have gone to this school for five years and have been pleased overall. There is great parent involvement and we've had pretty great teachers. I feel like my kids got to be great readers from this school. There are a couple of staff members who should probably retire as you can tell they are "burnt out." When you are pretty much grumpy all the time, it might be time to hang up the "teaching cleats." The principal is very nice and a good listener. Overcrowding is an issue now but they are working on it.

This is the school that my grandchildren go to and they love it and have leared a lot there

As other reviewers have mentioned, the parents are fantastic. Many of the teachers are great. My kids love the school. It has a real great community feel and a great location. Close enough to Oaks Bottom to do field trips there. Tall trees bordering the playground where an occasional eagle will land. The only downside is the principal who seems to avoid conflict at all costs with the hope that it will just go away. If you want anything done, just don't expect results from him. Find another way.

The staff seems friendly and most educated. The children should feel safe, and parent should knowing the education level they are getting. The program to teach reading has been working quite well as far as I can tell. My only problem is the gym classes. Children are not playing sports much anymore, instead they are taking hikes and reading a textbook! The students should be getting more exercise then that, to prepare them for highschool.

We enjoy our activities with the school. I am not very involved outside of the classroom and homework, so I cannot speak to the level I am involved in. Parents are generally friendly and busy. Our expereince with the current 3rd grade teacher is excellent. She is doing an Info Tech based curriculum that is very similar to my college coursework~pretty exciting. The staff do ask children to be respectful-thank you! There are plenty of opportunities and positive things at the school if you want to be involved in them. We really like the Cafeteria program to get students involved, and the Prinicipal is approachable and cordial, we like Llewellyn a lot.

We love this school! My daughters have not had large class sizes . So happy to have a professional music teacher at the school now, along with PE twice a week, a real librarian, computer class, art class, etc. We're so lucky to have so many things other portland schools no longer have! The teachers have been just excellent. And the families are a very comitted, erudite bunch.

This school is extraordinary! My daughter (3rd grade) and my son (kindergarten) have been challenged, nurtured, inspired, and encouraged. The teachers are fantastic - a nice mix of experienced teachers who have been at the school for years and freshly minted, energetic young teachers. The parent involvement is truly amazing - every year in my daughter's class there has been a parent volunteer almost every day. Scores of moms and dads run many enrichment classes after school, and help in the classroom every day. This is a public school that truly has it all: music, art, P.E., a librarian, computer classes. We've been delighted with this wonderful school.

Last modified Llewellyn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.