Portland, OR

Maplewood Elementary School 1

Posted March 13, 2015
A lot of surface, no content. There are good teachers here, and terrible ones as well. Leadership is ineffective, supports are non existent, and parent involvement is only welcome in fundraising or classroom support, not in actual feedback. I wish I had spoken with more parents before enrolling my child here. Now that I have reached out it is too late at the expense of my child. Shame on you PPS.

Posted September 09, 2014
I love the school. I love the fact that parents work as a team with the school to make things happen. Maplewood Elementary has a small but active neighborhood association and a supportive community. We are loving Principal Bailey and are looking forward to spending time at the school, helping out in whatever way we can. My son's class this year will only have 18 kids (Kindergarten) thanks to the work of Principal Bailey and the kindergarten parents.

Posted October 10, 2013
Schools can have great test scores, but with out a supportive community the school is just a building. From the teachers, principal, front office staff...the parent community and neighborhood Maplewood is an example of how in this busy world the focus is on the future in how the children are treated today. The commitment shows in how our children are valued as individuals and members of the community. These are values that cannot purchased, only experiences. We are grateful that Maplewood is that place for our son!

Posted September 29, 2013
wonderful, small school. Great teachers. Parents very involved. My son feels like he belongs and we do too.

Posted September 20, 2013
A wonderfully welcoming community with a good balance between academic and "whole child" focus. Highly involved parents, wonderful traditions and the perfect "neighborhood" feel for a small school hiding in a big district.

Posted May 10, 2010
A amazing school that my son goes to. the teachers are great. the after school programs including Chess Club, Art Club, and Theatre Club.

Posted January 01, 2010
I cannot say enough about this school and especially its wonderful principal. My son had a difficult time adjusting to kindergarten due to a new teacher (who has since been removed). The principal took time out of his day, several times a week, to PLAY with my son, to check in on him, to make sure he was feeling ok, to have lunch with him. He single-handedly got our son through K with a positive attitude and new love of learning. We also adore the parent involvement at this school. The district might not have money, but the parents more than make up for it with activities and participation.

Maplewood Elementary School 4

Posted November 25, 2008
It's great with the exception of how little time the Kindergartners have to play without being pressured to learn.

Posted August 20, 2008
I have three children, two of which have been at Maplewood for 2 years, and one who will start full-day kindergarten there this year. We love Maplewood. There is a strong sense of community and awareness of individual kids and their personalities at this school. The principal is warm and very good at finding grants and other ways of filling the gaps left by the standard budgets for Portland area schools. He also is a fabulous role model for the kids, in terms of how to treat others with respect and also by encouraging physical fitness and activity. The teachers we've had have been wonderful - each with particular gifts that have inspired and guided my kids. I'm very happy to have landed in this neighborhood and found this school. It's a gem, and we're going to stay here for the duration of my kids' elementary years.

Posted March 25, 2008
The school is focused on whole child development and was recently upgraded to an A rating. The principal is outstanding and has a great staff. We have a daughter in second grade who loves her school. She also loves the afterschool program called art4life.

Maplewood Elementary School
7452 SW 52nd Ave, Portland, OR  97219
Last modified Maplewood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Maplewood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top