Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

The parents and the teachers work so well together. I could write paragraphs on just how wonderful this school has been for my 2 first graders.

I am the parent of a first grader and the listing of student/teacher ratio is false. The smallest class size is 23-24 students in kindergarten, the class size in 1st grade and 3rd and 4th is 30-34. And more and more people are moving to this popular area. These are the formative years and children need attention that even great teachers cannot provide at that ratio. The school already has mobile classrooms outside and there is no room for growth and there is no plan to build a new school, PPS does not plan for the future, just tries to put bandages on what is currently in place. My property taxes went up 30% yet PPS says they don't have enough money to hire more teachers or build schools. This school had a tin can hanging in the front hall for over a year to catch a roof leak and the roof has now been fixed, but it is on a building that would crumble in an earthquake that could happen at any moment. The library and librarian position was saved only because parents raise about $80,000 per year to keep it alive. I am appalled at how PPS manages its schools and money, if it weren't for the great teachers and parents I fear how much worse it would be for the kids.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

How effective can they be when they are teaching class sizes of 30-35, even a great teacher can't do that

A lot of surface, no content. There are good teachers here, and terrible ones as well. Leadership is ineffective, supports are non existent, and parent involvement is only welcome in fundraising or classroom support, not in actual feedback. I wish I had spoken with more parents before enrolling my child here. Now that I have reached out it is too late at the expense of my child. Shame on you PPS.

I love the school. I love the fact that parents work as a team with the school to make things happen. Maplewood Elementary has a small but active neighborhood association and a supportive community. We are loving Principal Bailey and are looking forward to spending time at the school, helping out in whatever way we can. My son's class this year will only have 18 kids (Kindergarten) thanks to the work of Principal Bailey and the kindergarten parents.

Schools can have great test scores, but with out a supportive community the school is just a building. From the teachers, principal, front office staff...the parent community and neighborhood Maplewood is an example of how in this busy world the focus is on the future in how the children are treated today. The commitment shows in how our children are valued as individuals and members of the community. These are values that cannot purchased, only experiences. We are grateful that Maplewood is that place for our son!

wonderful, small school. Great teachers. Parents very involved. My son feels like he belongs and we do too.

A wonderfully welcoming community with a good balance between academic and "whole child" focus. Highly involved parents, wonderful traditions and the perfect "neighborhood" feel for a small school hiding in a big district.

A amazing school that my son goes to. the teachers are great. the after school programs including Chess Club, Art Club, and Theatre Club.

I cannot say enough about this school and especially its wonderful principal. My son had a difficult time adjusting to kindergarten due to a new teacher (who has since been removed). The principal took time out of his day, several times a week, to PLAY with my son, to check in on him, to make sure he was feeling ok, to have lunch with him. He single-handedly got our son through K with a positive attitude and new love of learning. We also adore the parent involvement at this school. The district might not have money, but the parents more than make up for it with activities and participation.

Last modified Maplewood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.