Bad
Good

We have a kindergartner in the Spanish Immersion program and have had a great experience at Scott. Out daughter'so teacher is fabulous and the kids have already been on two field trips this year. Our daughter is quickly learning Spanish and is beginning to read and write in Spanish and is reading in English. She loves her teacher and is proud of her school. From our experience the school has been working hard to create a safe and caring environment. As a family we feel fortunate to be part of such a diverse community.

I just found out about this site and was a bit shocked to see some the reviews here. I have my two children at Scott and they are in the Community Classes (not Spanish Immersion). I have seen my children grow as learners and people throughout their time at Scott. I am frankly offended about the characterization that the Middle Schoolers at Scott are out of control and sell drugs. I am at the school often and see a respectful community that is under-resourced and struggling at times, but a community none the less. I feel that there is bullying that happens, but I have had my children at two other schools and guess what there was bullying there also. I might sound defensive, but I feel loyal to a staff that works with very little to give a whole lot. They see my kids for the unique young people that they are and I am grateful for that. The

After one year of having my two kids are Harvey Scott, I am so glad that we have moved out of their boundaries. There are problems with bullying, if your kids aren't in the Spanish Immersion program their classes get short shrift on resources, and the entire concept of K-8 schools is in my mind flawed: I've seen middle school students there do what was obviously drug deals when picking up my kids.

We gave Scott a fair shot. We are leaving after two years because for one thing, the teachers don't come to class! Time after time my kids come home saying they had a sub. Well, we all know what that means- goofing off, and very little learning. Certain teachers are constantly gone, so it's hard for some consistency when the teachers dont' seem to want to work. As I type this now, Its the mdidle of May, and it's as if several of my 6th graders teacher have "checked out" for the summer already. Different subs every day. My kid is going to school to play around, because the subs are basically there as babysitters. There is so much learning to be done between now and the end of the year and I just dont see it happening. And then to top it off, a recent field trip was to the movies? why would I even send my child to school to go see a non-educational PG13 movie at a theater?? I kept my child home and did other activities. We can go to the movies on our own time. It's ridiculous. despite all this, there are some teachers who really gave their all. kudos to them. but that is not the majority. it seems like the spanish immersion kinder parents are the only happy ones....

Scott School is a unique place for Portland and for Oregon. It is a school that is truly multi-cultural and multi-lingual. In my son's class there are students whose familes come from Somalia, Mexico, Tonga and many Central American countries. My son is in the Spanish Immersion Program in first grade. I have appreciated both his teachers. They have been caring and incredibly hard-working. Neither of them allowed my son to not engage with school, even though the beginning of his first grade year was very challenging. I see the staff at the school working very hard to create an environment where ALL children can learn and be active participants in the school community. I also see them working very hard to make sure they can meet all of the students' needs academically. May of the teachers are in school throughout the year and during the summer. Thank you Scott School for your excellent work and commitment to my child and all of the children that attend your school.

Reviews like the one below (posted April 26, 2014) do not describe the Scott School my child has attended for the past two years. Reviews like that do not serve our school community and most importantly our wonderful kids, teachers and staff. The person who wrote that review has not been part of the Scott School community for nearly 2 years, and yet goes on the record to tear it down? How does rating a school one star possibly do anyone any good? My child has attended Scott for the past two years. I am very involved in the school and have what I consider strong relationships with the Administration and my child's teacher (as well as other teachers). Do I agree with everything they say and do? No. Do I respect them as educators? You bet I do. And when my child has a problem, however minor, they are always willing to listen and work to resolve it. Scott School has such dedicated teachers, staff, and a small but mighty group of parents who are working hard to make our little school a great place to learn. There is always room for growth & improvement! What there isn't room for, however, is negativity and rumor-mongering. Scott School is growing stronger every day and every year!

Our kids went to Scott for 3 years. We switched schools just prior to Scott's transition to A Spanish Immersion, which would have been a great opportunity. We left because both of our kids were not thriving at Scott & both were unhappy. Mostly their teachers were pretty great & were caring & engaged in their learning. However, there were major problems with bully behavior & violence, a serious lack of parent/teacher/community involvement, & a principal that was so wrapped up in planning her Spanish immersion program that she failed to provide a safe & fun environment for her current students. Even more disturbing was her response to parent complaints, that they simply didn't matter. My daughter was a helper on the playground to assist with younger kids recess & had terrible challenges with trying to stop bully behavior & adults wouldn't help her. In addition there was a sense of dread at every school assembly. The previous principal provided a much safer & more fun feeling at school. We have moved on to DaVinci & Roseway Heights & it's like a breath of fresh air. My kids are excited to go to school!

My son was fortunate enough to get in on the ground floor with the very first kindergarten classes for Spanish immersion at Scott. From the very start, when his kindergarten teacher came to visit our home before the school year started, I knew we'd found a special place for our son. Not only did he learn a ton of Spanish in his first year--which he teaches to his younger sister--but his teacher and everyone else at Scott helped him through the big, scary transition into elementary school. Sure, we've also heard the scare stories about the school, but don't believe the hype! There are some amazing things happening at Scott School, and I couldn't be happier that this is my son's school.

Scott is our neighborhood school and I love that it has a Spanish immersion program! I was a little concerned about the school from things I had heard, but I got involved by volunteering and realized that everyone there from administrators, teachers and staff to the parents in the PTA are there for the kids and care about them and their education. My daughter is going into the 1st grade and after one year in the Spanish immersion program she can speak and understand Spanish and can read in both English and Spanish!

I'm so proud to be a Scott School parent. After looking at our neighborhood school last year and knowing we weren't going to be living there forever, and not liking the uniform policy idea, we decided to look at other schools. A friend recommended Scott even though she didn't have kids going there yet, because they were just launching their Spanish Immersion program. My daughter has always been curious about other languages and I asked her if she would like to go to school where she would learn in Spanish instead of English. She was thrilled. I told her it would be harder. She accepted the challenge whole heartedly. I am happy to say she made it thru kindergarten knowing more Spanish than I learned in a year of middle school, has amazing friends who speak both languages, and loves her maestra, and her school very much. I was a very active volunteer last year and plan on being again this year. The PTA is pretty awesome here and the parents are generally very open minded, friendly, and not stuck up at all. The school puts on these amazing Cultural nights celebrating kid's different heritages, and movie nights every month. SCOTT SCHOOL IS COOL!!!

Last modified Scott Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.