Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (2 responses)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted January 29, 2016
We are so grateful for the enthusiasm, involvement, and dedication of our Principal, Ben Keefer, and our Assistant Principal, Brad Parker.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted January 29, 2016
Our leadership and teachers emphasize the IB core values to develop a caring and community with students being praised for modeling these characteristics.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted January 29, 2016
Positive personality profiles are encouraged through the IB program, and the positive behavioral intervention and supports (PBIS) program supports this.

Posted January 29, 2016
Vernon is a terrific school in a terrific community! We invite you to visit vernonpta.org, and come see why (attend a PTA meeting, prospective parents meeting on March 6 at the Kenenedy School, or our auction on April 9). Vernon receives a low numerical rating because some parents opt their children out of standardized testing, which results in an automatic 2-level reduction in school rating (out of 5 levels). The result is misleading information about a fabulous school with a highly involved parent community, an excellent new administration and terrific teachers. My son is a 2nd grader and none of his classes have had more than 21 students. Vernon is committed to small class size. Choose Vernon! We are so glad we did.

Posted January 21, 2016
I have a first grader and an incoming kindergartner. I am so happy that we chose to attend our neighborhood school. Great things are happening at Vernon--my son has weekly art, music, gym, technology and Mandarin classes. The teachers are fantastic. The inquiry-based International Baccalaureate program keeps kids engaged, and we love the focus on becoming a good student AND a good citizen. The school has vibrant after-school programming--daily before and after care for a fee plus a range of FREE after school classes including garden club, choir, chess, robotics, etc. My son loves going to school every day. The school's new principal and vice principal are simply amazing--their energy and engagement are truly inspiring. All this makes Vernon a great place to be...come see for yourself!

Posted October 29, 2015
We have been a Vernon family for 4 years. My son, who is a 3rd grader, absolutely loves the teachers and staff at Vernon. He wakes up excited to go to school. We recommend our neighborhood to anyone who asks. Our PTA is very involved and this year we have over 100 members. Vernon may have had a bad reputation for a few years but I KNOW that bad rep is going away with this new administration. I invite you to see for yourself why so many families LOVE VERNON! GO OWLS

Grateful to: School leader

Posted October 29, 2015
Thank you Ben Keefer and Brad Parker for coming into Vernon with positive attitudes and open minds! You are turning Vernon around one student at a time. Your IB mission for our school is exciting and we are so happy to have you on board.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted October 29, 2015
Vernon has had a terrible reputation over the years. We are one of the highest transfer out school in all of PPS. We want to live in our neighborhood but don't want to send their kids to the school. The parents love and support of Vernon definitely shines through to our kids! my kid LOVEs Vernon

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted October 29, 2015
Vernon is a very diverse school within a very up and coming neighborhood. My child is expected to be honest and fair at home and I know Vernon is also supporting those ideas.

Vernon Elementary School 4

Posted August 31, 2015
I had very good teachers, when I attended. I graduated 8th grade with a 3.5 GPA,in 1973, after spending all 8 grades there. Did High School with 3.7 GPA, and years later Got an Associates Degree from ITT Technical Institute, also with a 3.7 GPA. The teachers must have done something right.

2044 NE Killingsworth St, Portland, OR  97211
Last modified Vernon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vernon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top