Posted December 18, 2014
We have a 1st grader at Vernon and have been very happy with the experience. We weren't sure what to expect because of the low test scores, but are strong believers in attending and supporting neighborhood schools. We have been very pleasantly surprised by the great parent community and strong instruction. My son was reading within 3 months of starting kindergarten and is now reading well ahead of grade level. He is doing great academically and friends are close by for park trips and play dates. The school is doing a good job engaging the nearby business community with event sponsorship to raise money for continued enrichment programming. I just recently volunteered for a project in which the first graders harvested vegetables from the community garden and made soup. It was awesome to see how the outdoor experience really engaged the kids. If you live in the Vernon boundary, I would really encourage you to check out the school and its community beyond just the test scores.

Vernon Elementary School 4

Posted August 24, 2014
We have two children at the school and have been extremely happy with the quality of the teachers and the academic progress our kids have made. Our kids are engaged, challenged, and love their school. Test scores are low, but what people don't realize is that a large number of Vernon families opt out of taking the tests. Opting out of the tests is so prevalent that the test scores mostly reflect tests taken by a very small number of students. PTA is large, active, and involved. Lots of opportunities for enrichment; including choir, a science fair, Girls On the Run, and more. If you live in the neighborhood, I recommend you send your children to Vernon.

Vernon Elementary School 2

Posted June 04, 2014
WORST ADMINISTRATION EVER. PRINCIPALS ARE AWFUL TO THE STUDENTS AND STAFF. THIS SCHOOL WILL NEVER IMPROVE AS LONG AS THEY ARE THERE. SADLY ITS A GREAT STAFF BUT BEING DESTROYED BY THE EGOS OF THE ADMINISTRATORS. MY CHILD WILL NOT RETURN.

Vernon Elementary School 1

Posted February 07, 2014
This school has great teachers and a strong PTA but I am extremely disappointed with the direction the school has taken. Its a focus school with an IB program and the two dont mesh together. The elementary program is strong but seems to have a high teacher turn over. Middle school progrogram can't seem to get it together. Constant staff turn over and lack of structure. I refused to send my child to the middle school when I learned about the lack of discipline and no real intense curriculum prepping kids for high school.

Posted December 07, 2013
Vernon is great and a International baccalaureate school. Amazing teachers, passionate PTA, and wonderful community partnerships. Our kids are thriving in a diverse, supported, environment. The Oregon school ranking is lower on the Oregon report cards because some parents are opting their kids out of unfair standardized tests.

Posted August 10, 2013
A great school and only getting better.... There is tremendous parental involvement and intense fundraising has restored music and arts programs to the school.

Posted June 16, 2013
Vernon is becoming more and more popular with parents in the area. The neighborhood and the school are mutually supportive and there is tremendous energy now being directed towards the school. Parents have helped restore music and arts instruction though ambitious fund-raising. Neighborhood schools are great -- no lottery or commute is required and the school reflects the actual diversity of the neighborhood. My child goes to Vernon and is thriving.

Vernon Elementary School 1

Posted February 14, 2011
My children have been having academic problems since attending this school. One of them has received his first disciplinary action ever since attending this school. My children have attended numerous school through this area and have never had problems until attending Vernon. Something is seriously wrong within the school. We are trying our hardest to move out of this school's borders just to get away from this school. I hope the effects this school have had on my kids are not permanent. I also must say I'm amazed at the positive reviews here. I am wondering if they are talking about the same school I am. Perhaps we are used to having the children in excellent schools and Vernon is just so-so so they seem terrible to me. The teachers seem like they care about the children. That much is true. That is true for most grade schools. There are other issues within the school.

Vernon Elementary School 4

Posted March 17, 2010
This school is wonderful. It has devoted and caring teachers. It was given the school of excellence award in 2005 but then lost a principal and had to add 3 more grades which took its toll on its upward trajectory. Its back on track and is now in the second year of a new, truly energetic, involved principal and is in its third year of becoming an International Baccalaureate school. The garden program is becoming integrated with the curriculum, they have the Sun school program, SMART, is a NASA explorer school... more stuff than I could list here. I hope that some day the ratings reflect the reality.

Posted November 08, 2007
i love this school,the staff is wonderful and the teachers are caring and understanding.i attended this school for three years from late 1999 - 2002 (2nd to 5th grade) and I loved the projects the teachers would assighn us.and they actualy made learning fun. (something i thought to be comepletley impossible) I do believe this school is the best in portland,or.

Vernon Elementary School
2044 NE Killingsworth St, Portland, OR  97211
Last modified Vernon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vernon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top