Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)

We love Vernon because of the meaningful connections we have made with nearby families and the friendships my daughter has made while learning a great deal about the world around her. Please dig deeper than number and stars internet reviews which do not reflect the fact that many Vernon families exercise their legal right to opt out of testing, thus effecting this site's and Portland Monthly magazine's review process of this school, and i suspect many others. Talking to parents who have or have had their students here is likely the best way to find out if Vernon is right for you. Keep in mind we had a massive administration change for the better in Fall 2015. Hope to see you there!

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

We've had good experiences with our teachers and they seem reenergized by the new leadership we're getting from Mr. Keefer and Mr. Parker, our principal and vice principal.

Amount of homework: Agree

There are times when the amount of homework for the younger grades seems to be too much, but our son has mostly kept up and has certainly shown growth.

Develops character: Agree

We've seen how students who are struggling were given direction and guidance with sensitivity. The students are taught to *think* about their actions, rather than just serve a punishment for mistakes.

Especially since the introduction of our new principal and vice principal, Vernon has really matured into a great atmosphere. Very strong parent involvement, dedicated teachers and amazing engagement and leadership from Mr. Keefer and Mr. Parker.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I have had great experiences during my years at Vernon and my son has loved every teacher so far. Our teachers seem very happy and I think it shows in their classrooms.

Amount of homework: Disagree

In general, I am against homework in elementary school but I don't think Vernon has more than any other school.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The IB curriculum really focuses on these topics and I see my son reflecting these attributes.

Our son just completed his 4th year at Vernon and we have been so happy to be a part of this wonderful community. Between the skilled and committed teachers, the incredibly involved parents and the amazing new administration, I have watched this school transform and grow into an amazing environment. Our school offers Mandarin, Spanish, Art, Music, choir, band, PE, a garden education program and the list goes on and on.

Our kindergartner just finished a wonderful first year at Vernon. This school is a special place. The administration team is energetic, engaged, positive and so so dedicated. I don't know when those guys sleep! The IB structure, implemented thoughtfully and fully, is a wonderful framework for in-depth, inquiry based learning. Students are shown the importance of being thoughtful and caring. Weekly classroom workshops with the school counselor have helped give my son a rich vocabulary to maturely voice feelings and concerns. He looks forward to school each day and wants to go back before the weekend is over! Vernon has a strong array of specials including Mandarin, PE, art, music, counseling and library. I believe there is typically also Spanish but there was difficulty in securing a qualified teacher this year. Anyone lucky enough to have Vernon as their neighborhood school should certainly attend.

Last modified Vernon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.