Posted November 05, 2014
This morning my second grader woke me up and said "Mama, I am so excited for school today. I have never said THAT before!" After a year at a charter program I decided to enroll him in this neighborhood school. I applied for other programs because of the score on this website. 3/10 is not good! When my son was not learning much at his under-resourced charter school, I reconsidered. Many of the brilliant children who attend Vestal speak several languages. I suspect some of the early scores reflect kids who as they are learning to read, many are also translating. Which explains that as the grades rise, so do the scores. Academically, the teachers are as educated or better educated as the top rated nearby elementary schools like Laurelhurst Elementary. The school is teeming with language about diversity, inclusion, team, and collaboration. The kids I have met are not only smart but many bring with them a unique determination and leadership not oft found in more homogenous schools. At Vestal, my children are learning what it means to go home to very different family environments and come together every day to work and learn cooperatively and collaboratively.
3 people found this helpful

Posted May 01, 2014
My daughter is just about ready to finish up her Kindergarten year at Vestal, and I couldn't be more pleased with all the wonderful learning opportunities she has had. I had been a bit nervous at first sending her to our neighborhood school, but SO glad I did. The principal and teachers are engaged with the students, and I always feel welcome when coming into the school either dropping my daughter off or during times when I volunteer. I'm glad that this first year was a positive one and that my daughter is excited about going back for first grade.
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 06, 2011
I attended Vestal in 1948-51. My favorite teacher was Mrs. Large. She was going to retire in the second grade year but everyone in the class loved her so much we talked her into another year for us. So we had her for the next year. I was too young to really evaluate the school but they way my life has turned out it must have been a pretty good place for learning.

Posted March 13, 2010
want vestal in 2nd throw half of 7th grade and i love it there. all the teacher were nice to me and all the friend i made all these years. i miss vestal and this year i am in 8th grade.

Posted October 12, 2008
I went to vestasl and it was the best school ever. I was accepted by everyone socially and was challenged well academically i would go back anytime if i could. I reccomend this school for anyone. Vestal rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted June 17, 2007
Vestal Elementary has received a 'School of Excellence' award this year! You will not find a more dedicated staff, support staff or parent volunteers at any other Eastside school. Principal Susan Foxman has garnered partnerships with many impressive sources bringing even more wonderful educational aspects to our school. Growing back into a Kindergarten-8 school will allow our students to continue their excellent education opportunity here at Vestal, preparing them for High School. Our art programs are wonderful as the displays in the building give proof; a gorgeous mural, outstanding ceramic tile works, incredible hanging fabric arts to name just a few. The PTA provides strong leadership and involvement opportunities for all parents interested. I'm very happy with the education my son is receiving here at Vestal.

Posted December 01, 2006
My daughter is now a second grader at Vestal Elementary. We are so happy that our school is transitioning to K - 8 so that we can keep our great kids a little longer! When my daughter was due to start Kindergarten, I checked out every school on the East Side, both public and private. I was convinced that the public school system had too many problems to be of benefit. THEN I went to Vestal(my neighborhood school, lucky me!)... I was impressed! Second language instruction starts in first grade, and the teachers are the most dedicated group of individuals I have ever come across. We have the best little school on the East Side. If you don't believe me, come on over and check it out!

Posted April 02, 2005
I went Vestal myself and now I have a daughter there. I have 2 other children that are future Vestal students and I wouldn't dream of moving into another school district. Vestal has a wonderful community which has only improved over the years. This school is rated high academically by the state as well. Our principal and other staff have went out of their way to get a variety of extracurricular activities for the students also.

Vestal Elementary School 4

Posted July 28, 2004
My son attended kindergarten and will start 1st grade this fall. He has benefitted tremendously from attending Vestal. His teacher, Mrs. Dawes, was wonderful. I wish she could teach him forever! I am very happy with Vestal and my son can't wait to start 1st grade! (neither can I!)

Vestal Elementary School
161 NE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR  97220
Last modified Vestal Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vestal Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top