Posted August 21, 2013
Im a seventh grader here and 6th grade was the best and seventh is great too. The teachers are very helpful, I'm in the spanish Immersion. I don't know why people dislike this school. It is great i would recommend this school if you want to learn lots and make tons of friends!

Posted August 16, 2013
I went to West Sylvan my seventh grade year, and dropped out as soon as I possibly could. There were cliques, bullies, and all kinds of stuck up and rude kids that I couldn't stand to be around. There was WAY too much work for a seventh grader, and the teachers didn't help. I felt like no one cared or even noticed I was there. I reported being bullied countless times only to be told that, "We'll handle it, don't worry," Or, my favorite, just reassurance that I was beautiful and that what kid would even think of picking on someone like me. I don't think that this school is for everyone, and if you're thinking of enrolling, visit the school and check it out first.

Posted July 09, 2012
I was a student here at West Sylvan 6-8th grade 2008-2012. My teachers were always supportive and constantly offered help FOR FREE before and after school. I did not take this help and still passed with flying colors due to the great teaching. My parents didn't intervene in my homework and I had no tutor and still did very well. The teachers all cared about you, not just about in school troubles or difficulties, but with personal matters that inhibited your learning abilities, and gave due leniency where needed. When students miss school they are expected to make up work; only when kids procrastinate and don't try do they get lower grades. Strong, lifelong morals were taught to us every year by the principle and staff. 70% of students were in the advanced math group, 20% in the most advanced math class, while only 10% are in the STANDARD math group (Math 7th/8th)! The sense of community at West is phenomenal; there are very few mean kids, and an EXTREMELY low rate of bullying. The other negative comments about this school are from not too bright kids WHO CLEARLY GAVE UP; this is the main way to gain a disliking of/from the teachers, who still try to make you try your best.

Posted May 25, 2012
This was a horrible school. Horrible "teachers" that pile on the worksheet homework every day my daughter had hours of this meaningless busy work every night. The staff does not care about students at all, they say to keep your child home if they are sick, yet when your child is sick they punish them by failing them and treating them bad in class. Please avoid this school, my daughter is so much happier since leaving this school!

West Sylvan Middle School 2

Posted August 12, 2010
I went to this school in 6th and it was OK. The kids were definitely rude at some points and the teachers can be a bit harsh on failing students. There was no parent involvement an a lot of cliques. I did make a best friend but it was slowly demolished after I left. Rumors started, online harassment, ect. Don't send your son/daughter here.

West Sylvan Middle School 0

Posted March 11, 2010
i rate this school as a zero not even one star they dont help kids they push them even if they are failing

West Sylvan Middle School 0

Posted February 26, 2010
My son attends 7th grade. I have been very disappointed overall in the quality of education, lack of teacher involvement, and large class sizes. There is a veneer of caring, without resources for students who fail to achieve their potential. The success of the school is largely driven by the parents behind the students: it is not unusual for parents to provide a huge amount of input into their own child's education either personally or with tutors.

Posted February 21, 2010
Terrible, the buses are very crowded. The buses are probably over capacity.

Posted July 07, 2009
Excellent school. Great teachers who can get the kids under control pretty well, a principal full of leadership, and many fun extracurricular activities such as lacrosse, cross country, basketball, track, etc. for the kids to do. The girls are sort of cliquey, but as long as you are nice to them, they'll want to be friends with you. I definetly made the right choice to let my kids go to this school.

Posted July 01, 2009
I totally agree from the student from June 30, 2009. This was an awesome school. Lots of great education by excellent teachers and has fun electives and athletics. Although, some girls are a little cliquey, but it's pretty easy to make friends with everyone else. I totally recommend this middle school to anybody!

West Sylvan Middle School
8111 SW West Slope Dr, Portland, OR  97225
Last modified West Sylvan Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Sylvan Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top