Portland, OR
Students enrolled: 1,480

Posted June 02, 2014
My student has really blossomed at Franklin. He was a tag student at his middle school, and mostly into academics. At FHS he got a chance to run cross country, try the school paper, and get into lots of other extra-curricular activities. He also took AP classes nearly every year. FHS has a good, diverse student body and lots of chances to get involved.

Franklin High School 4

Posted April 16, 2013
In a time of great financial shortfalls, the administration and staff of FHS are doing a tremendous job in creating opportunities for all students to excel and gear themselves toward a successful future. The AP program is a huge example of that dedication to excellence and opportunity. We could not be more pleased with the teaching and educational staff at Franklin. One caveat. If you have a student who desires an athletic experience like Volleyball at FHS, be forewarned. As of 2012, the program is an utter train wreck, run by a former student with severely limited teaching skills, combined with an incredibly immature personality. Kids with great skill and potential are constantly leaving the program in despair on how the women's Volleyball program is run. It is a blessing that the academic committment by the staff at FHS is so high, as the Volleball program is the antithesis of that, sadly. The track and cross country and several other programs are very good, but it is a shame that the volleyball program isn't held to the same high expectation of teaching and mentorship.

Posted September 22, 2012
This is absolutely the best school ever! It is so easy to make friends here, teachers and students are so kind. I have learned so much at this school and I love it!

Posted October 03, 2009
Everyone is super friendly, the teachers, the students.... everyone. We have a wide variety of classes and it is just awesome. The best school I've ever gone to- but we're really short on money.

Franklin High School

Posted November 20, 2008
Franklin has a lot of advanced placement courses which means advanced students can be challenged and have the opportunity to earn college credit while still in high school. The Franklin administration is excellent; caring, smart, dynamic. Franklin was awarded a 2.5 million dollar grant (over 5 years) from the Gates Foundation in 2007 which allows funds for many activities not found in other Portland public high schools.

Posted April 11, 2007
I Graduated from Franklin a few years back and absolutly enjoyed it. The teachers I had we're wonderful and I never had any sort of encounters with fighting, the students stayed in their groups and the sports we're great...Highly recommended!!

Posted December 14, 2006
As a graduate of FHS, I find that this school gave me tons of experience I could take into the real world. Now coaching back at the school, I can really see how special and amazing this school is. The coaches, teachers and staff really do care about the students to attend this school. I know the funding is low, but that makes it even more fun to find ways to earn money for programs. I am very grateful to have graduated from FHS. I hope this school continues to grow and become an even better school to go to.

Posted September 28, 2005
As a parent, it was important to find a school that offered a credible balance between academic opportunity and a real-world cross section of the community and society in which we live. With enough money, it is a simple matter to select a private school which offers a 'safe' environment and heavily credentialed instructors. But finding an inner-city urban public school that can offer quality teachers, a wealth of activities, and a chance to build strong connections within the community, I think, offers our kids so much more. Franklin fits that bill quite well.

Posted July 19, 2005
Franklin High School was the best school I could've imagined attending. Not only were the teachers outstanding role models, but the students were excellent, and I learned so much. I do think that priority was in the sports department as far as funding was concerned, but what we had in the music department, we made it work, and we had fun doing it. We learned so much about ourselves, our voices, and who we were at Franklin. Thank goodness my parents chose Franklin as my high school. I couldn't imagine what I'd be like today had I not gone to Franklin. It's where I met the friends I still am in great contact with today, where got a great education, and also where I met my wonderful husband! Wouldn't have traded those four years for the world.

Franklin High School 4

Posted March 08, 2005
I went here myself and graduated a few years ago. The level of education is decent, but the teachers really make the school. They really care about their students and really help nurture them and prepare them for the real world. The music program started to get a little better before I left but I don't believe there was much with art programs. There were plenty of sports and other extracurricular activities with plenty of good role models. Overall I found it to be a positive environment to grow up at.

Franklin High School
5405 SE Woodward St, Portland, OR  97206
Last modified Franklin High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Franklin High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top