Portland, OR
Students enrolled: 1,100
After care: No

Posted October 31, 2013
Staff are friendly and helpful. Students are encouraged and rise to parent and educators expectations through classes, clubs, sports and activities. I have had a chance to see my 16 year old daughter succeed and growth beyond my expectations for her. She is currently a junior and has enjoyed her writing classes, chemistry class, choir class and advanced placement us history class. She brainstorms about what classes she wants to take next year. I am thrilled to have such a terrific school and awesome staff in my neighborhood.

Posted October 31, 2013
My son started at Madison with a very poor attitude about his education. Each year he has had teachers that really cared about him and made connections with him. He is in his senior year and has exceeded expectations and plans to attend college. I have found the teachers to be sincere and eager with suggestions when I have had questions or concerns.

Posted October 30, 2013
I have been impressed with Madison. The staff and teachers truly want the students to succeed at Madison. They are warm and welcoming to new families and easy to work with. The student/teacher time that is built into the schedule provides extra support as does the availability of teachers during early release days. Periodic Saturday schools offer additional comprehensive help for kids that might be struggling in a subject. These academic enhancements are just a few of the things I appreciate about Madison. I have also heard from my freshman that there have been anti bullying conversations which is so important to the well being of all students. I want people to know that the adults at Madison care about there students and school. Madison is a great school!

Posted October 30, 2013
My teenager and I attended several high school open houses prior to choosing which school to attend. At Madison HS, the teachers at the open house outnumbered enthusiastic students They were sincere, engaged, excited about teaching. Though the school is in a working class section of the city, and might have less community and parent support, we chose Madison because we could see how much the teachers had a passion for their work. We both agree it was the right choice, and my girl is growing, learning, being challenged, and being identified as a hard worker by her teachers. Her counselor knows her by name, and lets us both know when opportunities come up for scholarships, college testing, and volunteer opportunities.

Posted October 30, 2013
This high school is Portland Public Schools BEST KEPT SECRET! A place where EVERYONE is accepted and valued. This grateful mom cannot say enough about this absolutely wonderful school! It has provided a place where both my sons have BLOSSOMED. The teachers and staff truly, truly care about these kids and go above and beyond to help them grow into responsibly intelligent adults. My oldest son earned a full ride to the U of O, the old fashioned academic way, thru the guidance and the opportunities provided by these amazing Madison teachers, like Mr Brunak. And you won't find a more caring school office than Gayle, Julie, Principal Callin and ViceP O'Neill. My youngest gets up each day actually ENJOYING going to school (esp Mr Owens & the music program)! This from my previously shy "I hate school" kiddo. He tells me all the time "Mom, SERIOUSLY Madison is such a GREAT SCHOOL!!" And never seen a school that actually IMPLEMENTS the ZERO tolerance on bullying. The Juniors and Seniors let everyone know thats NOT OK AT MADISON and they set the example! They have a INCREDIBLY therapist, Wendy, at the school teen ctr that works with kids who have anxiety/depression. BEST HIGH SCHOOL EVER!!!

Posted October 29, 2013
My daughter is a sophomore at Madison and has been able to get 8 classes each year, plus an AP class this year. She has great teachers and is in several clubs and is doing very well academically and socially. This school is one of the best kept secrets.

Posted October 29, 2013
Madison High School has been a strong community school since 1957! My family is enjoying our 3rd generation of having a student attend it. The special education program especially is above any expectations. Vice-Principal Terri Sing has her ear on every student and truly works endlessly to help them succeed on their high school journey. Go Senators!

Posted October 29, 2013
Madison High School is a very good school, with the Principal's leadership, they are focusing more on students' academic improvement. School alos provides sufficient communication to parents as to what is happening via emails or school website. Teacher's quality is well maintained. As a parent, I feel like I can email my kid's teacher any questions or concerns that I might have and receive response right away.

Posted October 29, 2013
I have been so impressed these past couple years by so many aspects of Madison. My son's teachers are thoughtful, reassuringly confident and professional, and obviously invested in their students' "real-world" success. There is a low-key, collegial and explicitly supportive atmosphere at Madison that I have not seen in a high school before. Students seem very relaxed and comfortable, and you get the sense that they look out for one another, no matter what their various backgrounds or interests might be. I've also been very pleased about the number of AP classes available, the dedication of the athletic coaches, and various Madison innovations, particularly its Writers in Schools program and its (now city-wide) annual Poetry Slam competition. This is to say nothing of Madison's exceptional music teacher, Jason Owens, who was awarded The Mr. Holland's Opus Outstanding Teacher Award in 2008. We feel very fortunate that Madison is our neighborhood school, and I'm thankful that my kids have a supportive, enriching environment in which to prepare for life after high school.

Posted October 29, 2013
Madison has students from so many nationalities, it looks like a United Nations school! Many of the students are immigrants, or are children of immigrants. Over half of the students qualify for free/ reduced lunch. Even with so many demographic "strikes" against the school, the graduation rate for entering freshmen is well above many schools with much more money and resources. My student has received all the personal attention that he needs and is learning and growing well. The teachers are all committed to their work, and spend much time and energy seeing that no student is neglected. Students are encouraged to participate in a wide range of activities, and are allowed to be involved even beyond their abilities. Often they can rise to the challenge and discover new talents, develop new skills. My student has developed friendships with a wide variety of people, and is finding out how rich and interesting the world can be, all within the microcosm of a single middle size high school. I am impressed with the commitment and passion of the teachers. Several could teach at the best private schools, but prefer to be with my kid! And others who need them, of course...

Madison High School
2735 NE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR  97220
Last modified Madison High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Madison High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 49 reviews. Top