Portland, OR
Students enrolled: 1,100
After care: No

Posted June 12, 2015
My daughter just finished her freshman year. Her teachers were all very personable, responsive and complimentary of her when we saw them at conferences. She had a rough month and missed 9 days of school from illness and her teachers were helpful, concerned and allowed her the time to catch back up. She's finished the year maintaining a 4.0 GPA and is looking forward to sophomore year!!!! We're very happy with Madison!

Posted June 12, 2015
Madison has a great staff to support and nurture students want to achieve more. The athletics department has seen some personel changes in the past years and with these hope to have break out seasons in the 2015-16 school year. I love this school and the Madison community, that works deligently to continuously improve itself.

Posted June 12, 2015
Small class size and a teaching staff that teams up together to collaborate concepts and classwork. Many opportunities with an AVID program, great clubs and school spirit. Very easy to contact teachers through ParentVue and impromptu meetings.

Posted June 12, 2015
excellent music program and college support. smaller class sizes make this a gem in PPS.

Posted October 31, 2013
Staff are friendly and helpful. Students are encouraged and rise to parent and educators expectations through classes, clubs, sports and activities. I have had a chance to see my 16 year old daughter succeed and growth beyond my expectations for her. She is currently a junior and has enjoyed her writing classes, chemistry class, choir class and advanced placement us history class. She brainstorms about what classes she wants to take next year. I am thrilled to have such a terrific school and awesome staff in my neighborhood.

Posted October 31, 2013
My son started at Madison with a very poor attitude about his education. Each year he has had teachers that really cared about him and made connections with him. He is in his senior year and has exceeded expectations and plans to attend college. I have found the teachers to be sincere and eager with suggestions when I have had questions or concerns.

Posted October 30, 2013
I have been impressed with Madison. The staff and teachers truly want the students to succeed at Madison. They are warm and welcoming to new families and easy to work with. The student/teacher time that is built into the schedule provides extra support as does the availability of teachers during early release days. Periodic Saturday schools offer additional comprehensive help for kids that might be struggling in a subject. These academic enhancements are just a few of the things I appreciate about Madison. I have also heard from my freshman that there have been anti bullying conversations which is so important to the well being of all students. I want people to know that the adults at Madison care about there students and school. Madison is a great school!

Posted October 30, 2013
My teenager and I attended several high school open houses prior to choosing which school to attend. At Madison HS, the teachers at the open house outnumbered enthusiastic students They were sincere, engaged, excited about teaching. Though the school is in a working class section of the city, and might have less community and parent support, we chose Madison because we could see how much the teachers had a passion for their work. We both agree it was the right choice, and my girl is growing, learning, being challenged, and being identified as a hard worker by her teachers. Her counselor knows her by name, and lets us both know when opportunities come up for scholarships, college testing, and volunteer opportunities.

Posted October 30, 2013
This high school is Portland Public Schools BEST KEPT SECRET! A place where EVERYONE is accepted and valued. This grateful mom cannot say enough about this absolutely wonderful school! It has provided a place where both my sons have BLOSSOMED. The teachers and staff truly, truly care about these kids and go above and beyond to help them grow into responsibly intelligent adults. My oldest son earned a full ride to the U of O, the old fashioned academic way, thru the guidance and the opportunities provided by these amazing Madison teachers, like Mr Brunak. And you won't find a more caring school office than Gayle, Julie, Principal Callin and ViceP O'Neill. My youngest gets up each day actually ENJOYING going to school (esp Mr Owens & the music program)! This from my previously shy "I hate school" kiddo. He tells me all the time "Mom, SERIOUSLY Madison is such a GREAT SCHOOL!!" And never seen a school that actually IMPLEMENTS the ZERO tolerance on bullying. The Juniors and Seniors let everyone know thats NOT OK AT MADISON and they set the example! They have a INCREDIBLY therapist, Wendy, at the school teen ctr that works with kids who have anxiety/depression. BEST HIGH SCHOOL EVER!!!

Posted October 29, 2013
My daughter is a sophomore at Madison and has been able to get 8 classes each year, plus an AP class this year. She has great teachers and is in several clubs and is doing very well academically and socially. This school is one of the best kept secrets.

Madison High School
2735 NE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR  97220
Last modified Madison High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Madison High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top