Portland, OR
Students enrolled: 1,435
After care: No

Wilson High School 5

Posted February 26, 2015
Wilson High is a wonderful school in a kind and caring community. Our principal does a fantastic job at listening to students, teachers and parents as we build on the strong programs already in place at our school. We have been recognized for our strong find and performing arts program, our math and computer science program (5 years of CS), our AP classes are robust (18 courses), and our broad range of elective offerings. 88 percent of WHS students attend college right after graduation. We hear from our graduates all the time that our teachers prepared them well for their college level courses. Our school is wonderful! Please come for a visit and learn more about us.

Wilson High School 5

Posted January 26, 2015
I came here as a student with autism. This was the best and most autism friendly school I went. Teachers and staff were amazing and very friendly. I had accommodations and the people actually cared for me. My teachers understood my learning needs and they helped me with a lot of support. They worked with me one on one during quiet work time and after school. The school is very strict on bullying, which it's good. I was accepted who I was and I became friends with the girls basketball team as their team manager. They have really good clubs and after school activities with many choices. It's great school and it's always remembered, especially my Senior year. Go Trojans

Wilson High School 4

Posted December 03, 2014
When my child comes home and tells me he "loves all of his teachers," what else can I do but be thrilled? His grades are up from the high pressure college prep school he attended on the East Coast, and his overall enthusiasm for toward his education has changed. My only concern about the school is the amount of money spent on things like the turf field vs. the amount spent on technology.

Wilson High School 3

Posted February 12, 2014
Wilson is a very basic school. There are a few great teachers, a few very disrespectful-to-students teachers/staff, and some simply awful ones. Wilson seems to ride on an old reputation of being a great school. But in 2014, I would not concur with that. The arts programs written about are just average, if you're an artist and have insight into arts education. There are just a few AP classes and zero IB. But most of all, the overall school culture is oppressive. There is an excited group led by the principal raising a million for turf for the football field while curriculum suffers; there are teachers with 190 students who have lost their compassion or creativity for anything outside low level thinking such as hand in your work and show up or else, to cope with it; and the school structure itself is full of asbestos. I don't know if it's connected, but my child gets migraines while at school since the first year there. If you are into academics and building a meaningful, holistic, compassionate, strong academic school experience outside sports, I don't recommend Wilson.

Wilson High School 4

Posted January 23, 2014
Wilson has a great community and a very supportive atmosphere. Staff are very caring and involved. Lots of AP courses, tons of electives including many in the arts and computer science.

Wilson High School 1

Posted December 09, 2013
I was disappointed with Wilson HS. While it may be a good school for the average or above average student it fails miserably for the below average/minority student. Poor communication with parents when there are behavior issues. Poor/slow reaction to bullying. Little or no accommodations for children with learning disabilities. Poor teacher quality for below average students. Poor leadership from administration. Difficult to contact school administration when urgent action is needed. The fault is not entirely with the school. My child and the school gave up on each other. The school recommended that my child move to another alternative school. I think this school can do well with the self motivated/easy to teach students. Any variation from this model (including minority students) will have problems.

Wilson High School

Posted August 08, 2008
Rigorous school - prepared me for college (I could have slept through most of my first year). Great teachers. Ridiculously snobby students.

Wilson High School 2

Posted December 01, 2003
My teen just informed me that she has skipped detention the entire school year and I haven't even gotten one note or call that she was even in trouble.

Wilson High School
1151 SW Vermont St, Portland, OR  97219
Last modified Wilson High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wilson High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top